Roll Out: Euro Truck Simulator 2 Scandinavia Launch Trailer

We are just one day away from the release of the Scandinavia expansion for Euro Truck Simulator 2 [official site], and Alec’s review is already in progress. I imagine that even as I’m typing these words he’s navigating fjords, shipping Moomins, solving grim transnational murders, and explaining to onlookers that, though included in this DLC and part of the cultural region, Denmark is not strictly speaking a part of the Scandinavian peninsula.

Me? I’ve got to settle for this all-too exciting launch trailer.

Euro Truck Simulator 2 was a surprise success even for those who don’t love trucks, owing in part to its compulsive business management metagame and in part to the relaxation offered by its open roads and steady travel. That success has allowed developers SCS Software to pour more resources back into the game, continuing to update it regularly and to add DLC that offers greater and greater detail than the base game. Scandinavia claims to be another grand step for the series and certainly looks nicer than the sometimes rather plain or repetitive cities and motorway sidings of the original. I’ll wait for Alec to confirm the truth one way or another while gazing upon these admittedly fine screenshots.

However many different tree models Scandinavia ends up offering, I remain even more excited for the studio’s next full game, American Truck Simulator. You can follow the development of that – and even see an hour-long in-game video of an early alpha – over at the SCS blog.

If your engine is revved and ready, ETS2 Scandinavia is out May 7th, 2015 at midnight CEST according to the game’s Steam page, but that’s May 6th, 2015 at 10 PM UTC. And even earlier or later if you’re in other countries! Blimey, isn’t our planet strange.

1. MrFinnishDude says:

* Disgruntled noises coming from the Nordic countries who are not a part of the Scandinavian peninsula*

• MrFinnishDude says:

Also Moomins are Finnish not Swedish.
      (Curse the lack of edit button)

• Post-Internet Syndrome says:

Well, if you want to be picky, Tove Jansson was a Finland Swede and wrote the books in Swedish originally, so they are a shared heritage I’d say. :)

But yes, for a “Scandinavia” expansion, it’s a bit weaksauce to include only a small fragment of the peninsula, but also Denmark. Still, this does make me itch a bit.

• Max Planck says:

‘Scandinavia’ and ‘The Scandinavian Peninsula’ are not the same.
      ‘Scandinavia’ is a cultural-linguistic group and includes Norway, Denmark and Sweden, though I’m fairly sure Norway and Sweden are more interesting for trucking purposes.

2. skew says:

You probably meant that Norway, Sweden and Finland are not a part of the Scandinavian peninsula.

( ̄ー ̄)

3. Faldrath says:

Cannot wait. Cannot. Need more trucking. More! Well, whenever Jazzycat updates his mods, at least.

4. caff says:

I hope Alex is consuming pickled herring whilst conducting his review.

5. harley9699 says:

It’s kind of steep though at €17.99/$20.12. May have to wait a while for a sale.

• fish99 says:

Yeah I kinda agree. Going East didn’t add much to the experience IMO, just new areas that looked pretty similar to the old ones. I barely played it, and I’m glad I didn’t pay much for it. This DLC looks to have more scenery variety than Going East but still I’m gonna wait for a sale.

6. Thirdrail says:

I get to drive cross country in RL in a few days. I’ll be able to play to this in my motel rooms. While searching for a movie theater in which to see the new Mad Max movie. Have the weather people mentioned anything about it raining free weed and plushies? Because that’s the only way this month could get any better. <3

7. Siresly says:

I’ll jam up that bridge. I’ll jam it up real nice.

8. anHorse says:

Like Elite: Dangerous but fun!

9. Bashmet says:

They need a bystander expansion, where you back trucks into tiny alleys and there are groups of people all around you pointing and making cell phone videos while you keep fucking up.

Also roads that you need to avoid that require paying attention to road signs.

10. Guy Montag says:

Wallander: Highway Hauler. Existential crises meet the open road. He only pulls into rest stops to have a good cry.

11. JaminBob says:

This is great ‘n all, and I’ll buy it, but I hope they don’t lose sight of what made it work; the vastness. Bigger with less detail is better than obsessive accuracy and tiny maps. It’s at risk of becoming a train sim, accuracy is ridiculous and scale 1:1, but unless you’re really into trains they ain’t much fun.

Like in the 90’s where the flight sims found as manuals got thicker the audience got smaller.

• jrodman says:

Pro mods taught me that local road character counts for a lot, however. It was a lot of fun to go new places because they felt different. That didn’t mean tons of densely made detail though. Just variation.

12. Ross Angus says:

I kind of hoped they’d have gone with Euro Truck Simulator: America, rather than American Truck Simulator for a title for the sequel.

13. skyturnedred says:

Is Finland included? I know it’s not technically a part of Scandinavia, but us Nords gotta stick together.

• ulix says:

It’s only Denmark and the southern (and populated) parts of Sweden and Norway.

14. foop says:

I wonder if they’ve fixed road signs at motorway junctions? They’re often completely wrong as to whether the lane you’re in is about to disappear at the junction or not.

I doubt if they have, but that would make it an instant buy for me. Instead of a wait for a few days and then cave in and buy.

• Boozie says:

Regarding some poor singage in default game in various areas.

I found that TruckSim map fixed a lot of that sort of issue in the main default map area, plus
      added other interesting alterations in the default map area.
      Of course you get the awesome expansion into Italy and Greece and Spain, which IMO are the best
      expansion areas of TruckSim Map mod.

Waiting on TSmap mod to update as current TSMap is not ETS2 1.17 compatible. Might be a long
      wait as I’ll wait until after Scandinavia DLC arrives in a day or so. I understand 1.18 will go into
      beta soon after the new DLC arrives.

This company is a very rare thing in the world. They fully support their product with improvements
      over the years and it has all been for free.
      I don’t mind tossing them cash for a expansion I’m not really that interested in, though I will enjoy it.
      I’d be more excited if they pushed into Southern Europe and found more mountain runs for me to traverse.

HOpefully a future engine will properly support snowfall . I will look forward to that day when
      the low end PC gamers all line up to scream like babies, oh , and those fetid laptop gamers.
      Ptui.

• fish99 says:

The motorway junctions in the game are just bizarre anyway, to see the right hand land leave and the motorway drop down to one lane. I haven’t seen a motorway like that anywhere in the UK. There’s also some junctions that have the priorities coded incorrectly where cars just drive over give-ways into your path, and the cars are unable to join motorways at speed, instead coming to a complete stop when there’s no oncoming traffic in that lane. Also the traffic is a uniform density on all roads and at all times of day.

15. Scumbag says:

I will be sad if I cannot drive through Svalbard.