Mortal Kombat X Patch Promising “Huge Improvements”

It’s all fun and games until no one loses an eye because wonky netcode stops your gouging.

Mortal Kombat X [official site] is pretty wonky on PC, especially compared to the console versions, with poor performance and bugs galore. Creators NetherRealm say they’re still working with PC co-devs High Voltage Software to improve it, and a big patch is due today for starters.

Online multiplayer has been a problem on all platforms. “We are constantly on also just the online, back and forth,” Ed Boon said in a recent dev livestream (spotted by Shoryuken). “We’ve taken steps to improve on it and it’s certainly better than when it launched but by no means do we feel like we’re at where we want to be or need to be.” So they’re planning to bosh in a feature for matchmaking that’ll rate players’ connections and let folks decline rounds with a poor match.

They’re planning to fix the underloved PC version up too.

Due out today is a patch that Boon says “literally brings the PC version to parity with the console versions.” I suppose we’ll find out what that means when it launches today, but he says “There’s huge improvements coming to that version.”

Today also brings another round of DLC for Mortal Kombat X, including slasher movie star Jason Voorhees. No, I don’t know what he’s doing in Mortal Kombat either. They showed him off in the livestream too – skip to around 13:30 for a demonstration of his moves.

1. Koinzellgaming says:

This is a huge disappointment.
    The optimization, the day 1 patching where a large amount of people were unable to actually access majority of the game (People had problems even after they patched the whole game.).. The netcode being shit, horrible microtransactions, stupid faction system that doesn’t have a point, reducing the gold requirements to get better reviews.. Well played MK X, another developer who abused the trust that they gained with MK9 ..
    At some point I was even planning to pre-order it. I’m glad that I didn’t do it and the story mode is also shit as I’ve lately found out (Part of the reason I really loved MK9.). Can’t developers just NOT fuck things up? Is it really that hard to push the release for a later time just to make sure that everything works like it should? Even if the story was shit, couldn’t they just optimize it and make it work properly?

• Creeping Death says:

“another developer who abused the trust that they gained with MK9 ..”

But… isnt MK9 still broken and has shitty netcode on PC?

• Catweasel says:

Yeah, this is about exactly what I expected after the awful job MK9 had.

• Koinzellgaming says:

Only played MK9 locally, never got into online multiplayer and I have never heard about the netcode of MK9 being bad, so I assumed that it was ok.. I guess they failed with the netcode in MK9 as well.. Although the other things I pointed out still stand.

• Baines says:

They went with High Voltage Software yet again, the mediocre dev studio that was involved in previous lackluster Netherealm ports.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

It’s bizarre, this dev is literally 20 years old and ALL they have done the whole time is port things. Surely that should show they aren’t very good at game development and that a major publisher for a major game should maybe find someone else to port their game if the original dev is too lazy to do it themselves.

2. Tinotoin says:

I hadn’t noticed any bugs in the short while I have played it so far, bar for some frame rate drops during the intro of some stages.

I would very much like the fatalities and x-ray moves to not be capped at 30fps however, it really is quite jarring.

3. Crusoe says:

So it might recognise an Xbox 360 controller now?

Because it didn’t before, what a joke.

• Tinotoin says:

Did it not!? Jeez that’s pretty shonky. I only started playing it on Friday, so maybe that’s why my 360 pad worked without issue, well – ignoring the awful dpad heh.

• Crusoe says:

It didn’t for me, and doesn’t for others, I’d read. Honestly I decided to never bother with the game after the first 2 mins of trying to play: resolution problems, frame rate drops and no support for that controller.

Pathetic!

• Steven Hutton says:

If they do get it working with this patch then I really do recommend it. It’s a perfectly solid fighting game.

• Lizergamid says:

I play with xbox controller from beginning, no problems at all.

• Archonsod says:

Been playing it since launch with a wireless X Box controller. Not had any issues.

In fact the only problem I have had is a weird performance issue on a specific stage (temple) which they currently seem to either fix or re-introduce with each patch.

4. anHorse says:

Love the game but online’s totally unplayable atm and I have to have the settings lower than on GTAV; even lowering my resolution.

5. Creeping Death says:

Most of the basic game runs alright for me, though I still have a decent list of complaints. The game crashes every 3rd or 4th online match, Sky Temple kills the framerate regardless of setting, and the online “matchmaking” just seems like a joke.

6. vahnn says:

I haven’t encountered any bugs, but mother of god the performance is atrocious on my machine. Also the netcode.

And this: “We are constantly on also just the online, back and forth.” WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?

• Baines says:

From what I’ve heard, the PC version is also missing stuff like some pre-match animations.

7. fish99 says:

“We are constantly on also just the online, back and forth,” Ed Boon said, but sadly no one could understand what he meant.

8. Kartonian says:

If you are playing on iOS or Android, here’s a good tip: go on http://mortalkombatx.ninja . It’s a mortal kombat x hack that generates koins and souls.

Fallingbadgers says:

And it looks like the patch has now been pulled for wiping save files. Can I be the first to coin the expression “Savetality”

10. Creeping Death says:

So for anyone interested in following this – the patch was release, 15GB. It erased save files and in response they pulled the patch and rolled the game back, prompting another 15GB download.

Meaning that when they re-release the patch (undoubtably at another 15GB) we’ll have downloaded more than the original game.

11. tigerija says: