I Hate These Guys – Wolfenstein: The Old Blood Released

A Nazi robot knight I guess.

The horror of the Nazis is that they didn’t have cyberodogs or moonbases or power armour: everything they did was regular people, plain and simple and awful. Back in the zany comedy world of video game Nazis, though, you can now go on another merry adventure into Naziland with all sorts of new (or old, really) kooky mechaNazis.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood [official site], a standalone budget-priced prequel to the splendid Wolfenstein: The New Order, is now out. Alec will be telling us Wot He Thinks soonish but for now, hey look, it’s out and I have some moving pictures to show you.

The Old Blood jumps back to 1946, revisiting dear old Castle Wolfenstein and the nearby city of Wulfburg. They are, naturally, swarming with more primitive, experimental forms of cyberNazi and, of course, Nazi zombies. B.J. Blazkowicz will venture back in to murder the heck out of them. To help with that, he finds new weapons like double-barrelled semi-auto shotguns (yes, please), a grenade pistol (yes, thank you), a bolt-action rifle (oh, you’re spoiling me), and a pipe which can be dual-wielded to club and stab the heck outta Nazis but also climb walls and smash open routes.

Wolfenstein: The Old Blood is on Steam for £14.99/$19.99. A bundle with The Old Blood and The New Order will run you £29.99.

Anywho, here’s the launch trailer:

And here’s another recent trailer with a really practised speech explaining what’s going on:

1. inf says:

Great games, awful graphics engine.

• bit.bat says:

I have really liked the look of the id Tech 5 games that I have played so far but I guess engine problems can entail things other than just looks. What do you not like about it?

• Michael Fogg says:

In my case the New Order would display blurry textures for a fraction of a second after quickly moving the mouse. I have a mediocre gfx card though.

• inf says:

^^ As this man says, it has abysmal texture pop-in, and the textures themselves are of very low fidelity, due to the megatexture technology inherent to the engine (designed to work around console memory limitations).

My experience has always been with high end hardware, played the original with SLI GTX 780’s, this one with SLI GTX Titan X’s. Not that that matters, since another great feature of the engine is no multi-GPU support.

The design of the game itself is great, i love the art, love the level design, but the engine shortcomings takes me right out of the experience.

• kalirion says:

Remember the days when id engines were the best and everyone wanted to use them?

• ResonanceCascade says:

I have an excellent graphics card and the game is installed on an SSD connected with Sata III and I still get some pop-in. It’s just an inherent limitation of the garbage idtech 5 engine. Still, it’s a wonderful game, so I don’t really care.

• Cross says:

In my case, the game immediately launches my CPU so far into the temperature danger zone that my computer locks up dead.

• suibhne says:

I can’t pretend to know its performance across the range of possible rigs, but the game looked and played fantastically well on my machine (as did RAGE).

• Dale Winton says:

Not sure if serious , the graphics are fine and it runs perfect

Played a bit of it last night , just more of the same , not a bad thing either

Grizzly says:

Should I GET PSYCHED yet?

3. Fathom says:

It’s fucking amazing. Even better than The New Order, truly the greatest Wolfenstein ever. Only thing it’s missing is Mecha Hitler (only on Chapter 4 but I’m pretty certain there’s no Mecha Hitler in this).

• emeraldpity says:

This makes me even more psyched. I thought New Order was incredible. I thought the narrative was so unique, so emotional. It really made me want to obliterate the Nazis-as-Nazis and not Nazis-as-Game-Badguys. The spoofiness of this one reminds me of the No One Lives Forever days . . .

4. Monggerel says:

I prefer shitty incompetent lame guns.
    Like, you start Shadow of Chernobyl with a pistol that is more likely to kill you than anything else besides. It’s frustrating and difficult. I love it.

• Zenicetus says:

I feel the same way about guns, which is why I wish there were more games in Wild West settings with more-or-less historical firearms. OTOH, I get the vibe they’re going for with the Wolfenstein series, so I just go with the flow. It’s a game where you can dual-wield assault rifles on full auto within the first hour, which is ridiculous, but fun.

5. Gibs says:

I approve of this game. Go, play it.

6. Wowbagger says:

I saw some of chapter 1 and the prevalence of big mechy guys that you can’t take on directly is a bit over done for my taste. I enjoyed the original though so will probably give it a bash when it goes down in price.

basilisk says:

I agree that this part drags a bit, but these mechs get much more rare after that (as of Chapter 4, that is).

7. rakara says:

Well its 20$ and if you want 5$ off or so go get from greenmangaming and use the promo code: 23OFFH-OLIDAY-WEEKND and you can get it for about $15.40 US.

• suibhne says:

Not for the first time, GMG’s discount code gives a better price than GMG’s VIP discount. Makes little sense.

8. phanatic62 says:

Awesome timing. My wife will be away for most of the weekend, so I was planning on catching up with some of my backlog, but not any more. I loved The New Order, so there’s no chance I’m passing this up. What are we looking at for how long it will take to finish this?

• suibhne says:

The most frequent estimate seems to be 8 hours, and as low as 6, so it’ll probably be 8-10 for my sneaky-sneaky approach.

9. Chorltonwheelie says:

Ooooooh, I can’t wait!

10. Kentauroi says:

So is this game just a remake of Return to Castle Wolfenstein? The whole escape from the castle, then entering a village with zombies looking for information from a woman named Helga thing seems exactly like what I remember happening at the beginning of that game.