Medieval Engineers Early Access Adds Multiplayer

It was only when Marsh prematurely evaluated all over Medieval Engineers [official site] that I realised its initial Steam Early Access launch lacked multiplayer. I’m inattentive, me. But developers Keen Software House (them lot also behind Space Engineers) had shown multiplayer in its trailers and screenshots and I’d blithely assumed… that doesn’t matter now.

Multiplayer arrived in the castle-building/smashing sandbox yesterday for both its creative and survival modes. You can now smash your pal’s castle to pieces.

However, this first crack at multiplayer is using the same iffy old netcode Keen used in Space Engineers. They’re planning to replace it with RakNet tech in both games at some point. Keen explained their decision to launch with the old tech:

“We still need more time to work on this new version. However we thought that it is a good idea to add multiplayer to Medieval Engineers now since it’s more fun when you play with your friends and also because many of you have been asking for it for a long time! It supports all the features that are now in the game, in both Creative and Survival modes, building and destruction, structural integrity, mechanical parts, blueprints, mods, synchronized daytime and AI characters (barbarians, peasants and deer). In more simple words, you can do everything that is possible now in the single-player but with your friends.”

Fair enough! Marsh had noted that he didn’t think Medieval Engineers would hold its appeal for long without multiplayer.

Medieval Engineers is still on Steam Early Access, priced at £14.99.

You know, by now I’m pretty sure Keen have given up on their Miner Wars MMO. At the time when they added multiplayer to Space Engineers, Keen offered copies of that instead to folks who had slapped down $20 to pre-order the MMO. Back then in 2014, they said that the project “remains in the development plans, but still in an inactive state”. Medieval Engineers makes three games running that Keen haven’t officially launched, but a few chums have seemed to enjoy Space Engineers enough in Early Access. Besides, you don’t need me to warn you about pre-ordering or Early Access, do you?

1. Wowbagger says:

There appears to be a fair few medieval themed games being reported on these last two days, may haps you should be renamed to rock, velum, Crossbow, what?

2. Max Planck says:

‘Early Access’ and Preorder are not the same, the Miner Wars MMO was sold as a preorder.
    It’s kind of sad that RPS provides free advertisement (and now, truth-bending apologetics) to this merry band of conmen.

They put a product up for sale, took the money, then went silent for a couple of years after the product was supposed to have been delivered. Then, they offered a completely different product instead, or nothing at all. No explanation, no apology.

Face it RPS, these guys are crooks.

• Samjac0 says:

To be fair, almost anyone who bought miner wars 2028 will find themselves satisfied with the current features in SE. It’s a bigger and better game already with better visuals and a better community. They also update both SE and ME every week. Even if updates are small that’s at least 52 changes a year so the progress is measured.
      I had two friends who were so pissed with how Miner wars turned out they refused copies of SE and demanded refunds. Within a week both received their money back. As for me, I exchanged MW for SE and never looked back. SE was and is what I wanted. :)

I’m not saying these guys haven’t made(are currently making) mistakes, but they learn and have at least some sense of loyalty to their gamers. Are they perfect? No, but hey… love’s not perfect, so I’ll love SE and continue to stay with her through the good, bad, and ugly. :P

3. Jayson82 says:

I would feel more comfortable if they finished space engineers first before starting development on a new game but that are still updating space engineers so thats something.

4. racccoon says:

What a pain in the arse game this is! Spent ages building it and have someone knock it down in seconds ..Stupid game. the physics do not match the time and effort.

5. MrPants says:

Those are some fine beards indeed.