Got Your: GoatZ Adds Survival Tropes To Goat Simulator

You need to get into the spirit of Goat Simulator [official site], I suspect. There’s a part of my brain that’s eager to dismiss it as “lol so random” YouTube fodder, and a part of my brain that’s like, no, I enjoy physics sandboxes just fine too, thanks. The next bit of DLC is making these internal warring factions go thermonuclear: GoatZ adds survival mechanics to the deliberately-broken goat-based mess-around toybox. It’s out today and there’s a trailer below to help you get into the correct frame of mind.

You can probably already guess what they are, but here’s a list of features:

– Mandatory crafting system because everyone else is doing it
– Zombies that bug out. There’s a pun here about actual living bugs, but we’re not going to bother
– You can craft anything in the world, as long as it’s one of the half dozen weapons in the game
– Zombies, because this is a zombie game, remember?
– A pretty big new map with some stuff in it
– Completely realistic survival mode where you have to eat every damn five minutes to survive because Dean Hall & Garry Newman said so

Does anyone remember that old Bard’s Tale remake? It can be hard to make fun of tired game mechanics without simply re-creating the very thing people are tired of. Goat Simulator probably deserves plaudits for finding a way to take the frustrating brokenness of games like, say, Boiling Point, and make it into something more people can enjoy more of the time. (For all the anecdotes Boiling Point produced, it was often simply boring). I wonder whether this new update really requires you to eat every five minutes though, or whether it’s simply a new map, some zombies, and a thin veneer of genre parody stretched across the same joke as the main game.

The GoatZ DLC will set you back $5 upon release sometime “morning Pacific time” today.

1. padger says:

2. rustybroomhandle says:

Phew – thought it was Goatse Simulator there for a minute.

3. Prime-Mover says:

Can someone explain to me gaming journalisms use of the term “trope”? Does it refer to the theme or the mechanics, story-elemet or what?

• padger says:

Essentially both those things. As in literature – link to en.wikipedia.org – it essentially means cliche or motif, and that can be in mechanics, story, or setting.

• MadTinkerer says:

A trope is essentially something in a story which is used by an author in the same way as things in other stories by other authors. The point isn’t just that something exists and is used as a major part of a story (Spaceships!) but that it is used in the same way in different stories to make similar points or to make the reader think a point is being made but then change or reverse it (Surprise: We’re In A Spaceship, Surprise: We’re Not In A Spaceship, Life Support Is Failing, Is Bob A Robot, and so on). Tropes are not good or bad ideas, they’re tools with which to shape a story.

4. Glow says:

Nope, sorry, this is too much. I wouldn’t even know where to start with something like this

5. Jamesworkshop says:

Dead amaze
    tropes ma goats

6. Anthile says:

Finally the sequel to beating a dead horse.

Qazinsky says:

“For all the anecdotes Boiling Point produced, it was often simply boring”

Oh, hell, no! You’ve made an enemy today, Graham! An indifferent, powerless enemy!

8. rcguitarist says:

“First survival game not in early access”. Haha, I love it! I will definitely be buying this DLC.

9. int says:

Look how funny and quirky they are.

• rexx.sabotage says:

yeah, they always manage to get a chuckle out of me :]

10. Sarkhan Lol says:

What an incredibly unfortunate name.

11. Darth Gangrel says:

“Does anyone remember that old Bard’s Tale remake? It can be hard to make fun of tired game mechanics without simply re-creating the very thing people are tired of” I’m playing that Bard’s Tale remake right now for the first time and I like it a lot. There’s not a single time where I think that they’re just tediously recreating something they want to mock. For a game with pretty limited enemy/loot variety it’s different and amusing enough to make me want to play more of it.

On topic: just like Minecraft is everything, now another Swedish indie hit is trying to be everything. Can’t say I like either of them, although I’m more inclined to mess around with physics than build stuff, but they don’t seem that bad either for fans of the genre.

12. mpk says:

Goat Simulator is all the games rolled into one. It really is the game we deserve, if not the game we need.

ALL the hyperbole!

Phasma Felis says:

Apparently hating Goat Simulator is cool now? Weird.

This game is stupid and pointless and absolutely delightful. No, don’t play it by yourself in a dark room like a tool. Have a friend over, grab a gamepad, and spend happy hours laughing your asses off and going “OH MY GOD DID YOU SEE WHAT JUST HAPPENED.”

14. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Did you just compare Boiling Point with Goat Simulator? And unfavourably? Is this what Rock Paper Shotgun is these days?

“Lol open world immersive sim years ahead of its time, so janky – just like my poo poo monkey cheeze parody game, but without goats, therefore boring!”