Star Trek Games Boldly Go Onto GOG

May the 7th be with you, as I guess people say nowadays. I don’t understand youths. The point is: a trio of ye olde Star Trek games with Kirk, Spock, Sulu, and the gang have been discovered stuck in a transporter buffer for a few decades, and those clever clogs at GOG have rematerialised them to put them back on sale.

Now on GOG – in their first download releases – for £4.09 apiece are Starfleet Academy, Star Trek: 25th Anniversary, and Judgment Rites. GOG tease more may be boldly coming too.

25th Anniversary’s a 1992 adventure game by Interplay, putting you in the supple leather boots of Jimmy T. Kirkletons to seek out new life and new civilizations across several missions. Judgment Rites is the 1993 sequel to that.

Starfleet Academy, on the other hand, is about the thrills of life in Starfleet Academy. It’s part interactive movie, part zap-zap spaceship sim as you go about Academy life as a cadet. It is wild to me that the game revolves around The Original Series’s time, with appearances from Shatner, Takei, and Koenig during the FMV bits, when The Next Generation was already in full swing. Did people still care about TOS that much then? Had they seen it recently? Oh, I don’t know.

Hopefully GOG will pick up some of the newer Star Trek games too, like fine-o FPS Voyager – Elite Force.

Right, look, here’s the intro to Starfleet Academy:

Neurotic says:

Excellent news!

2. Xerophyte says:

Things that make me feel old, #48: The 25th anniversary of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary is pretty soon.

3. Nasarius says:

All I remember from that adventure game was shooting a bunch of rocks in a specific order so that they didn’t fall and kill any member of your away team. And yeah, I had no idea about the characters because I’d only watched TNG at that point.

• Sic says:

Wasn’t that in A Final Unity?

I truly hope they release that in the future.

• NotGodot says:

It was on the first away mission in 25th Anniversary. You use the kill setting on the phaser to blast rocks away from the entrance to the robot factory, but if you don’t take out a precariously balanced one, a Redshirt will sacrifice himself to save you from it.

• crowleyhammer says:

That’s the only bit i can really remember as well, i vaguely recall you had a mock battle with an excelsior class ship at the start? I always lost that.

4. Asurmen says:

That’s some interesting back muscles they have going on there.

5. dsch says:

Starfleet Academy and the sequel Klingon Academy were everything a starship combat simulator should have been, but somehow ended up not being very good.

Bluerps says:

I remember Starfleet Academy, but I don’t think I have played it this millennium.

I got it when it was new. Back then, I didn’t really know that much about the original Star Trek series, but I roughly knew the characters and I was a fan of The Next Generation and Deep Space Nine and that was enough. In fact, the game acknowledges those two shows to some degree, by including things that only appeared in them, and not in the original series (like a Trill character, for example).

7. Stargazer86 says:

The two Star Trek games that I’ve been wanting on GoG for a long while are Star Fleet Command 1 and 2. I still own the disks but, unfortunately, they no longer worth. If either of those games showed up on GoG I’d buy them like a shot.

8. LionsPhil says:

25th Anniversary is a pretty solid flexible multi-route adventure game, well-voiced by the original cast. Sadly IIRC the sequel couldn’t afford/get them again.

• Will Tomas says:

Nope, Judgment Rites has the full original cast too! They’re both utterly ace.

• LionsPhil says:

…hunh. Wonder if my boxed copy was the floppy edition or something stupid, then. (Wouldn’t be the first time—I’ve got a big-boxed CD budget re-release of Legend of Kyrandia that’s missing all the vocals.)

9. Llewyn says:

I’m not sure how much people cared about the original at that time, but it had been shown repeatedly in the same slot on BBC2 that TNG occupied on launch. I suspect that, in the UK at least, most of the audience for the first couple of series of TNG would have been people very familiar with Shatner and Nimoy.

• Vandelay says:

Bit of a strange comment from Alice; the last film with the original crew was in 1991 and Generations, which fairly prominently featured Shatner and also starred Scotty and Chekov, was out in 1994. Academy only came out a year later, so it wasn’t like we hadn’t seen these characters for a decade or two.

• bill says:

Yeah. I’m gonna assume Alice is about 12. The original series was on bbc2 at about 6 o’clock for most of the time I was growing up. I’m not even much of a star trek fan, but I ended up watching every episode about 5 times over the course of the 90s simply due to post school TV addiction.

10. Ross Angus says:

“Shat alert”, eh? That’s a tag I’ll be watching very closely from now on.

11. Pazguato says:

I have great memories of Star Trek: 25th Anniversary. I managed to finish the game with a 100% in all chapters, replaying when it was necessary, of course :)

Didn’t know there was a sequel. Is it as good as the original?

• Will Tomas says:

Yeah, it’s basically more of the same, although there’s more of a story arc across the missions. If you liked the original, it’s equally great.

Neurotic says:

And if/when they do, we will download all the unofficial patches that made it actually playable!

• NotGodot says:

It’s weird. It feels more like the TV show in some respects (It tends more towards the philosophical, slightly didactic, mortality-play heavy style of TOS) and it’s more willing to go with weird sixties SF premises. It also makes better use of the crew, with pretty much everyone on the bridge turning up on one away mission or other.

On the other hand, it’s also got a more serialized story arc and fewer puzzles.

12. Rymosrac says:

Holding out for Klingon Academy. It’s ten times the game that starfleet academy is, and Christopher Plummer is twenty times the actor that Shatner is.

Hands-down the best live-action cutscenes in gaming history.

13. fantodant says:

Has anyone played 25th Anniversary recently? I had it when I was a kid and LOVED it, but I worry that if I were to revisit it I’d be sorely disappointed.

• NotGodot says:

I played it and its sequel back to back recently. Judgment Rites holds up much better IMO, but it’s a KoTOR/KoTOR II kinda thing.

• LionsPhil says:

Whatever else may age, Kirk/Spock/Bones banter is pretty timeless.