Have Faith: Mirror’s Edge 2 Slated For Early 2016

We still haven’t seen Mirror’s Edge 2 [official site]. Not a screenshot, not a snippet of gameplay, nowt. Still that prototype footage Electronic Arts were showing off last year did look jolly nice, with swift punchy kicky and plenty of nifty free-running.

After years of muttering about rethinking and prototyping and reworking and going back to the drawing board, it seems the parkour ’em up sequel is actually happening now. It’ll be in your one gloved hand at the start of 2016, some time from January to March, if EA’s plans pan out.

In its latest financial results presentation [that’s a PDF, I understand people like to be warned. Hey, Those People, stop using Adobe’s PDF viewer – try Foxit], EA listed Mirror’s Edge 2 for fourth quarter of its 2016 fiscal year. That’s January 1st to March 31st, 2016, on the regular calendar.

The showing-off at E3 last year did seem to indicate that they were finally getting together. For years, DICE’s relationship with the game was a big ‘will they, won’t they’ like that unlikely couple in your favourite sitcom. I was going to say something like “But Ross and Rachel didn’t work out, did they?” as some kind of cryptic hint that dreams don’t always turn out the way you want but I’ve had a quick Google and oh good grief they got back together again this is just awful what a gross thing I need to watch that prototype again to cleanse my mind:

1. Dorga says:

Please, pretty please don’t fuck this up.

• tofusheep says:

amen to that….

mirror’s edge is one of my all time favorite games, i even bought it twice, for my xbox 360 and later for my PC on steam.

the combination of music, graphics, setting, character design, (parts of) the story and overall atmosphere of the levels made this one of the most exciting gaming experiences for me.

that being said… since its EA… and well… AAA gaming changed to the worse in the last 2-3 years (in my personal opinion)… i don’t have much hope for this… but they can never take mirror’s edge 1 away from me!

or wait.. they could remove it from my steam account! *runs away over white skyscraper rooftops*

• Dorga says:

I strongly believe that the first game was the fruit of a rare astral conjunction, that allowed wild experimentaion where usually there is cold calculation, and don’t think such a situation could easily replicate itself.

Don Reba says:

Like, by tying it to Origin.

• Orija says:

From what they’ve shown of the game so far – it’s going to be absolute dogshit. I’m sorry.

2. akstro says:

I wonder what business model this will have since the first one wasn’t a big success commercially. As much as I love Mirrors Edge I can’t imagine paying £40 for a sequel that might just be 5 hours of leaping about.

Don Reba says:

In the original, the single-player campaign was just a tutorial. The meat of the game is in the time trials.

• Jackablade says:

I think they really need to work that into their marketing for this one. It’s essentially a racing game with a story campaign attached.

3. demicanadian says:

I’m not expecting ME2 story to be any good (maybe they’ll surprise me, but I doubt it) but I hope for one thing:
    maybe this time there will be any reflective surfaces in the game (you know, mirrors?)

4. Jamesworkshop says:

still the most iconic game visually of the last round of console/pc UE3 games.

Hope the push towards better combat doesn’t tip the game over the edge, I’d just have skipped the combat entirely if i got to do the sequel, i’d have keep the armed police because with phsyx enabled, it solved the lack of viseral damage the FPS normally suffer from, getting the scenery chewed up, really gave a sense of urgency, that bullets really did serious harm.

• Fenix says:

Have to agree with ‘most iconic’, everything about the game was super stylish and memorable. What wasn’t memorable, was the story itself, I played and beat the game but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what happened at the end if my life depended on it..

• Jamesworkshop says:

Sister was framed for killing a mayoral candidate, you go rescue her.

Not exactly The Bonfire of the Vanities

particlese says:

I think it had first-person hugs and a helicopter.

5. Koshinator says:

So.. launch title for the consumer Rift?

Harlander says:

Only if it comes with a complimentary sick bag…

• Koshinator says:

You might actually be surprised.. played most of the way through the first one on my DK1 (with a third party injection driver for compatability)… Didn’t have too much trouble with nausea (mind you, i’m fairly immune to sim sickness by now)

It was quite awesome btw…

6. montorsi says:

ME wasn’t my favorite game (I did like it) but I’m happy to see it get a sequel, or reboot or whatever this is. It’s nice having something wildly different to play every now and again, where I’m not out to kill everyone.

7. Ejia says:

I find myself rather Jaded.

Sadly, Beyond Good and Evil 2 is basically dead, so I guess I can have Faith again.

8. JimThePea says:

Mirror’s Edge was at its best when it was a fast-paced puzzle platformer with punchy bits, and at its worst when it was a substandard FPS, maybe because those bits were crowbarred in to add some lowest common denominator appeal. Whenever I think of ludonarrative dissonance, I always think of Faith running around blowing away waves of guards with a M60.

The stakes are higher this time, as much as I’m hoping for restraint, I get the feeling that they’ll see improved combat as justification for more combat. Don’t be Brink, Mirror’s Edge 2, don’t be Brink.

Don Reba says:

You are not supposed to use weapons in Mirror’s Edge, even though you can to make it easier.

• VelvetFistIronGlove says:

Yeah, but when you’re lost in the parking garage trying to find where the hell the way out is while enemies are shooting you from every direction, taking their guns and shooting them all is the easiest way to get rid of distraction. Then you can walk around the level without dying for another ten minutes until finally finding that pipe hidden in the corner behind that truck.

For a game with linear levels and an emphasis on moving quickly, Mirror’s Edge was pretty poor about communicating to the player where to head next. I love the game, but it had not a few systemic flaws.

Don Reba says:

It’s not good design by modern standards, but I still remember playing those old long console games with impossible final bosses dozens of times without the option of saving. With that in mind, starting over a small location a few times to master it is not a problem for me.

• Xocrates says:

The thing about mirror’s edge, is that the design is very clearly intentional.

You’re supposed to fight, the levels are structured precisely so you’re forced to. In fact the game has a fairly clear progression of you being able to run past the enemies, with clear indication of where to go, to being put in situations where even if you know the path you can’t progress without fighting since you’d just get killed otherwise.

• Jason Moyer says:

“The thing about mirror’s edge, is that the design is very clearly intentional.”

The game was intentionally designed so that it could be completed with using a gun while avoiding any conflict except for the boss-y fight.

• Jason Moyer says:

Erg, WITHOUT using a gun.

• Xocrates says:

Those are not exclusive. The game is designed so you can, but the level layout is such that you’re clearly not expected to – not on the first run, at least.

• SMGreer says:

The lack of clarity with level design was only really an issue indoors. I never had trouble navigating a level on rooftops or out on streets but as soon as you end up indoors the game slowed to a crawl as you struggled to pick out all the different colours and scenic clutter. And I too ended up having to resort to violence in the parking garage, just out of sheer frustration.

9. Jason Moyer says:

Dear EA, it’s a racing game. Not a shooter, not a puzzler, not a first person martial arts game (although, if making the hand-to-hand better sneaks into the game design I won’t complain). Racing game. Point A to point B as fast as possible, practice until you can nail the perfect line.

And while I won’t mind a hub of sorts, please don’t turn the level design into AssassinsGrandTheftCry. Sometimes highly focused design is better than a sandbox. And by sometimes I mean usually.

• Emeraude says:

Can’t say I agree. There are moments that are puzzle-like in nature the first time(s) you play the original game, trying to find just how to reach a point (or then how to reach it faster), and overall I’d find the sequel diminished for want of those.

That being said, I have zero faith and a bit of hope.

10. Laurentius says:

Ditch the combat entirely and remove those obnoxious shooters and snipers. Add more expansive levels, mix runing with clever use of enviroment i.e gettting into Shard kind of thing, also add hacking computers and offices. More cyberpunk, no stealh though.

• Jason Moyer says:

Without shooters and snipers, where is the tension? What are you running from?

• Laurentius says:

You see, many people liked ME time trials with no annoying shooters and snipers. Tension can come from perfecting your movement, hence incorporate timers, chases (real and virtual), etc into the story line.

• dskzero says:

I’m pretty sure the time trials were there for people who didn’t want snipers

• Emeraude says:

Why do you need to run from something, when you’re running toward something ?
        I guess it’s part of me no seeing the racing aspect too much from the original, but really, you go fast because you want to, and that’s it.

I mean, I’ve know people who have daily morning parkour routine, and I’m pretty sure they don’t need to get a mob of shooters behind for motivation.

Don Reba says:

When the first game starts, you are introduced as a package carrier in a surveillance state. It could work well, if they developed this premise.

11. iRaphi says:

this together with the consumer oculus rift would be amazing…
    just sayin ;)

12. tonicer says:

Urgh i hate these videos where they play with a gamepad, these slow weird turns make me nauseous.

I really hope it’s going to be PC only.

Orienting the development of a game on the ridiculously terrible hardware of videogameconsoles always hinders greatness.