The Witcher 3 Trailer Contains Ecstatic Evil, Lots Of Antlers

Combat in previous Witcher games has been a point of criticism, even among those folks I know have appreciated its other RPG mechanics. I have no idea whether The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] will fix those issues, but boy, it does look satisfyingly stabby. The latest trailer – the 4601st, I think – is all about “rage and steel”. Which means dismemberment aplenty.

I like swords that do damage like swords instead of simply being shiny baseball bats, so I’m good with all the violence. But look at that enemy design! Word is that The Witcher 3 contains much more actual monster hunting than the last game, and I am totally down for tracking and fighting Fire Tummy Todd, Giddy Goat Elk Gary, Hollow-faced Moss Martin, Barry Big-Tongue Backribs, and that blind ogre guy whose name I didn’t catch. Check out how excited to be evil they seem:

David Cameron.

David Cameron.

David Cameron.

Top antler artists at that CD Projekt Red. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is due out on May 19th. Here’s a hands-on preview from back in January.

1. Kreeth says:

I know that sword, it’s the Decapitatomatic 6000! Removes a head every time or your money back.

• Blackcompany says:

Decapitation guaranteed only if wielder strikes neck of humanoid victim with edge of weapon as opposed to flat of blade. Ample pressure and momentum required in order to provide decapitation. Guarantee is void if target wears armor on or about the neck or is inhuman, undead, a dragon or Connor McCleod, as these targets are often extremely difficult if not impossible to decapitate. Reasonable expectation of amputation must be possible during combat situations or guarantee is voided without offer of compensation to wielder.

You forgot the fine print.

2. Bluestormzion says:

Misspelling in the body of the article. Unless it was intentional, you said “Rage and Steal.” The trailer is titled “Rage and Steel,” implying swords. Not taking things.

Proofread, people! Spell Check is nice, but if makes you complacent and soft and WEAK.

• Bluestormzion says:

And I did it myself. IT does, not “if does.”

• Tinotoin says:

And, thus, the equilibrium was restored :)

• Hedgeclipper says:

Law of internet pedantism; posts correcting someone else’s work inevitably contain at least one error, typically of the type being corrected.

3. freiform says:

Oh boy. I certainly don’t need all this gore, but well. Even if I often find it tedious that the only interface between me and a game world appears to be a blade or another device with equal intentions, I’m really looking forward to this.

• rabbit says:

I figure they’ll have a toggle in the options to turn it off if you’re not down for all the KSPLSHHHHHH THOQQQQ SPLOSHHHHHHHHH stuff though – games with that much violence do tend to.

• gunny1993 says:

When you have a swords every problem starts to look like a sword problem.

• freiform says:

Alas, mo’ swords, mo’ problems.

However, I’m not offended by this level of displayed violence, I even enjoyed the anatomy studies I conducted on the orcs of Mordor. One wonders, though..

4. Morte66 says:

Combat in previous Witchers seemed like a stream of minor QTEs — push the button at the right moment, and you are rewarded with a cinematic.

I will be interested if this has changed.

5. rabbit says:

Was wondering why no election talk. Glad to see you seem as horrified as me, Graham.

Not to worry though Theresa May has assured me that the tories want what’s best for us. Their big plan for keeping us safe is to record all of our communications data. Great. Thanks British public!

• Rizlar says:

Apparently the only mention of renewable energy in their manifesto was that they will stop all development of on-shore wind. Which is the most cost-effective form of renewable energy right now.

Wait, why am I writing this?

• pepperfez says:

Where else does the tory platform belong than in a discussion of country-ravaging monstrosities and bloody violence?

• rabbit says:

When I saw that I had 2 replies to that comment I got a bit worried that I was about to read KEEP THAT SHIT OUTTA HERE or FUCK YOU LEFTY BUTTHEAD or something

Was very pleasantly surprised and relieved by the both of your comments :)

Fuckin’ ham-faced condom-headed gammon C-3PO David Hameron

6. DThor says:

I would be shocked if the combat was profoundly different, but hopefully they polished it so you feel more connected to the action. I still happily played through the first two, however, so as long as it’s not worse…
    And yus, that critter design is marvellous. Pumped over this game.

7. Horg says:

Some bonus Ciri at the end there, already looking more fun than the alternative NPCs we were given to control in Witcher 2. She actually has some abilities instead of being a parry bot.

8. Emeraude says:

I’m late on the curve, but I just leaned of their “totally not a DRM” policy for first batch retail.

Color me disappointed.

9. nimbulan says:

The combat in 1 was just rhythm clicking with the appropriate combat stance. It’s a really big turnoff when starting but once you get used to it it’s pretty unobtrusive. The second game has a much better combat system with two major issues: unresponsive controls and ineffective dodging (you still get hit while dodging, and dodging itself is very slow.) While the combat mod fixes the second problem, there’s not really much it could do about the first.

For the third game, the combat looks much better though the animations don’t seem to be up to the quality of the rest of the game. It’ll be impossible to say for sure until I can play it for myself though.

• kemald says:

The combat in Witcher 1 and 2 is great. And superior to most of the games out there. And this is very true to rpgs. Many people seem to forget this is a role playing game and not a action game. The combat in Witcher 2 is especially good. Among the best combat ever in a game.

• SMGreer says:

I dunno if I’d say it’s the best ever but it certainly trumps a lot of action RPGs this side of Dark Souls. Certainly I enjoyed the second game’s combat, worts and all. The third game looks like a marked and more responsive improvement.

• bill says:

The combat in Witcher 1 is pretty great, but it’s horibbly explained and introduced, and it doesn’t really get great until you’ve leveled up a few (horribly explained) skills and gotten the hang of how it’s supposed to work.

For a full-on RPG the combat is a lot better than most. It might not be up there with a full action RPG that was developed based purely on the combat model.. but it’s not that kind of game. (I mean, it can be played as a behind-the-shoulder action-ish game, or as an isometric clicker).

It didn’t really click for me until the start of chapter two – when I’d leveled up a few skills, worked out the timing, worked out the avoidance moves, and finally got a silver sword and some powers. That’s when combat goes from clicking randomly and frustratedly to being able to take out a group of 10 assasins without taking a scratch, and feeling pretty good about the incredibly cool and stylish way that you did it.

I imagine 30% of the complaints come from people who never got past the first chapter (not that I’d blame them), 30% from people who expected Dark Souls and 30% from people who repeat commonly-held-views-on-games on the internet. 10% from people who genuinely didn’t like the combat.

10. racccoon says:

Already in the origin bag & awaiting download day :)

11. Fenix says:

Barry Big-Tongue Backribs is a fantastic name.