London Calling: Next Assassin’s Creed Reveal Next Week

You can pencil this one into your calendars: Ubisoft is revealing the newest addition to its historical neck-snapping game series Assassin’s Creed on May 12, 5 p.m. U.K. time. This, according to a 26-second teaser trailer appropriately named “New Assassin’s Creed Reveal,” which sadly doesn’t offer much in the way of information just yet.

Watch for yourself below (and you can take a look at the newly-launched teaser site here): From what I can glean, this will likely be the rumoured Assassin’s Creed Victory, said to take place in Victorian London.

Kotaku first reported on this last year after gameplay footage leaked showing stab-fights on carriages, offering Americans a look at what happens outside my flat on a Friday night. The game has reportedly been re-named as Assassin’s Creed Syndicate, according to Kotaku sources. Of course, nothing is official just yet but I personally can’t wait for Assassin’s Creed: The Dick Van Dyke years.

The teaser site offers a bit more in the way of actual teases, thanks to random graffiti like: “We forge the chains we wear in life,” “God Save The Queen,” and “Rooks.” So it all smells pretty English, anyhow.

1. Orija says:

Hopefully this will be the game that kills this series off for good. I wish I could be indifferent to games that didn’t interest me, but I can’t help it when their influence starts fucking over other games. Shit plot, shit gameplay, shit drm, shit dlc practices, shit delays, shit fillers, that’s what AC stands for me.

The only game that had any potential was the first one, it’s all been a long ride on the train of mediocrity since AC II. There I said it.

I’ll calm down now.

• Kaeoschassis says:

You must be so much fun at parties…

• Ham Solo says:

At parties people usually don’t talk about mediocre video games. So that comment doesn’t have aynthing to do with anything, really…

• Fathom says:

The point was that someone who shits all over a gaming series must be equally as insufferable and depressing about other things, seeing as how games are innocuous and frivolous entertainment.

• Ham Solo says:

I think everyone has something they really dislike, and even games or game series they really dislike. I for example strongly dislike the CoD series. And the Sims with their DLC insanity. But that doesn’t implicate anything about my opinions regarding anything else than those exact games. “He doesn’t like this, so he must also dislike that” is a logical fallacy.

• April March says:

Perhaps people don’t talk about mediocre video games at your parties, weirdo.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

So far I would not mind being at a party with Orija.

• pepperfez says:

Look at this weirdo, going to parties that aren’t about Assassin’s Creed.

• v1tr1ol says:

Agreed, I’m sick of this franchise, even the first one was boring to me because of side missions/fillers. After Revelations I’m done with this crap fo’eva.

• Joriath says:

Black Flag wasn’t too bad, I found the piracy part quite fun (the actual Assassin’s Creed stuff was relatively poor though).

• Orija says:

No, in fact, it got rather tedious near the end. But the things it did really stood out – a story that wasn’t about pitting the good against the bad, a setting that was different, gameplay that revolved around stealth rather than parrying a crowd of soldiers one-by-one, and missions that had you working as an assassin rather than a generic action hero of the later games. Even the Desmond shit was much more muted.

• Fathom says:

If you’re sick of it, don’t play it. There’s still a lot of people who enjoy the historical spectacle aspects of these games, which on it’s own still puts them ahead of the mindless bullshit of Call of Duty.

• ThricebornPhoenix says:

I’ve been waiting over seven years for a spiritual sequel to Assassin’s Creed, a game that take the things I liked about AC and improves upon them. These days I’m looking at indies, since that’s where it’s most likely to happen.

• pepperfez says:

What’s depressing about that is one of the best things in Assassin’s Creed is always the lavishly rendered city, and no indie is going to have the resources to compete with that.

• ThricebornPhoenix says:

Five years ago I would have agreed without hesitation, but many things have changed since then. More and more I find that the games I enjoy most are indies, which *seem* to be more varied and (ignoring Sturgeon’s 90%) polished now than before.

Downward (mentioned here a couple of days ago) sounds like it could be very close to the thing I’m waiting for. The mention of “first-person parkour” makes me wary, but the premise is interesting and the screenshots look good. That small and distant hope is more than I had when Ubi fired Patrice Desilets (the first time especially).

kfix says:

It’s been said before, and I have problems with the tone and other things, but Shadow of Mordor is a wonderful Assassins Creed game in many ways. Great stealth, much better combat than Assassins Creed, and that fantastic nemesis thing – I’ve had such an epic rivalry with one captain who I’ve killed twice now and who has killed me three times and remembers to taunt me about it. All it’s missing is some wrist blades and a decent city and an even dafter story.

• draglikepull says:

Assassin’s Creed 2 was great. Things started taking a turn for the worse when Patrice Desilets left after that. That was when the series stopped focusing on what was fun (parkour platforming and climbing recognisable monuments) and started to introduce a lot of dumb game-y elements (insta-fail stealth sections, big open combat sequences, etc.).

2. Spacewalk says:

I’m still waiting for Assassin’s Creek which will mix parkour, assassinations and hilarious glitches with popular teen drama from the tail-end of the 20th century.

• FlipMooMonkey says:

Surely that would be about a woolly headed fellow who between assassinations solves complex and magical mysteries while living in a windmill?

• GameCat says:

Now I want a game where you play as a teenager who can move like assassin and tries to somewhat defeat bad guys by sneaking and gathering evidence etc.

Think about Ray Bradbury’s Something Wicked This Way Comes but with more parkour and maybe Persona 3 & 4 style daily activities.

• Ejia says:

I think that was Kay Faraday in the first Ace Attorney Investigations.

• melancholicthug says:

Maybe with a Paula Cole soundtrack? It’d be glorious!

3. moocow says:

Once again a beautiful, well-realised and interesting historical setting will be made soporific by ubigameplay and nonsense story, huzzah

4. Stellar Duck says:

I really wish they’d take their wonderful cities and use them for a backdrop for a noir mystery or something. Anything but what they’re doing!

And those preposterous assassins robes were always dumb but the more modern the setting gets the more jarring it gets. Like, how is that stealthy in any fashion? You look like a circus performer.

• BooleanBob says:

Agreed. And looking at it that way, I’m suddenly a lot more understanding of Graham’s comments about GTAV providing a world he wanted to inhabit but not a game he wanted to play in it.

keithzg says:

Frankly, that’s part of how I’ve been really enjoying GTA V; for example I’ll just go “oh hey, a train!”, hop on it, and see some sights.

In many ways I think a great game would be a GTA or Assassin’s Creed map but with Shenmue’s gameplay, ie. lots of trivial real-world activities to partake in like getting a legitimate job, dodging your landlord when you don’t have money for rent, etc etc.

• April March says:

^^^ Oh yes.

I’d like a Liberty City Stories that actually was a Liberty City Stories. Just about a dozen stories about very different people with very different goals and approaches to life. A few of them could even be about horrible people that shoot other people.

• floher says:

Well I actually think the AC4:Unity outfit was pretty spot on. You didn’t really stand out in a crowd, while still looking assassin-y.
      That’s of course disregarding all the pimped-up late-game super armour you can unlock…

I have the feeling they could pull it off for victorian London as well. With all the flashy sherlock-holmesian, jack-the-ripper-ish coats and hats.

• Shadow says:

It’s the hood that kills it. The hooded outfit stopped making sense by AssCreed 2, when it became needlessly flamboyant, the designs right out of some anime.

It only made an ounce of sense when it was simple and in-context: in the first game you could pass off as a monk, and while it wasn’t perfect, it wasn’t jarring in the modern Desmond sequences, where he wore a normal (if white and unstealthy) hoodie.

There’s rumours of an AssCreed game set in 1919. If I see any hoods in it I’ll throw up. Unless you play as a bedouin or something.

• vorador says:

So..like Watch Dogs tried to sell to us, only done right?

basilisk says:

Please, Ubi, just take a year off, would you? I genuinely love the series, but they desperately need to step back and think about what they’re doing. The treadmill is killing it.

• Splattercakez says:

To emphasize the point made here, the last year we did not get an Assassin’s Creed game in was 2008, the year between the first and second games releasing. It’s been yearly since, with 2014 having -two- games and no sign of Ubi slowing down.

• Beebop says:

You guys realise that Ubisoft don’t read this comments thread, right?

• Beebop says:

Stone the crows! This’ll be “Assassin’s Creed: Mockney” an’ no mistake! Gorblimey!

BlueTemplar says:

At this pace, we’ll end up with Assassin’s Creed : Deus Ex in a few years…

7. ribby says:

PLOT TWIST

you play Spring-heeled Jack

8. karnak says:

Is the slogan related to the last election’s results?

• pepperfez says:

To the extent that David Cameron believes in anything it is surely an ass creed.

9. BooleanBob says:

Missed opportunity for an Assassin’s Croydon headline.

10. Azagthoth says:

An announcement of an announcement, again. First Deus ex, then CoDBO3, now this. This is not news, it is advertisement and you are RPS, not IGN.

11. geldonyetich says:

My chosen interpretation of that screenshot is this is a game where you can push a button to change a Victorian woman’s outfit right in the middle of a crowded square. Scandalous!

• RARARA says:

Or even better, change into a Victorian woman’s outfit. Agent 47 has nothing on him!

12. draglikepull says:

What they really need to rejuvenate the series is a fresh setting. Enough early-Modern European cities already (I’m including NY and Boston here). Let’s see something from a different culture, like medieval Japan or China. How has a game series in which you essentially play as a ninja never been set in Japan? Or what about a game in pre-independence India? Give us a new place to discover.

• Bereil says:

Exactly. They’ve done that in their 2.5D games, why not in a full fledged AssCreed?

Personally, I’d like to see South America at the time of the first Spanish landings. Or South Africa around the times of the Boer Wars.

• Vinraith says:

It’s true. Actually, the only AC game that was remotely unusual in that regard was the first one, which (because it was so much more basic in overall execution) didn’t really get to do much with its environment. Would love to see just about any non-Euro culture in just about any time period pop up in an AC game at this point.

• OscarWilde1854 says:

Not even slightly disagreeing with you, but I think it’s the fact they are going for that “awesome feeling” of climbing a huge tower in Constantinople or Notre Dame in France or whatever other large and recognizable building they can craft.

This is why I will always rank AC II over AC I, because climbing all over renaissance Italy was incredible. Just “being there” felt like enough, despite the story or anything. I don’t know that medieval Japan would instill enough of a “nostalgia” feeling to really be effective. At least not for as many people.

On the other hand, I’d LOVE to see it happen, I picture some of the older Ninja games (Gaiden?) Where running across those signature curved roofs and scaling epic castle walls to stealth your way in and kill a guy without being seen? That’s a game I’d play! I just don’t think it’s a game they’ll ever make (Ubisoft)

13. zeekthegeek says:

Treading new ground by having a white male protagonist it looks like, how exciting and original

14. peterako1989 says:

No thanks. I’d rather watch paint dry.

15. DigitalSignalX says:

Does the last one work properly yet? Seriously, I’ve yet to try it, and was curious after hearing about this one.

basilisk says:

Not really, no. Five patches later, it’s better than it was at launch, but still prone to random and prolonged FPS drops, and they’ve apparently stopped working on it. Something is rotten very deep down in that game. They’ll have a very hard time convincing people they’ve fixed it for this one.

16. vorador says:

The saddest thing is that Assasins Creed is a franchise that well treated could have been used for a long time. But the milk must flow. And so, the franchise reached it’s saturation point with the disgrace of AC Unity.