The RPS Bargain Bucket: Perfect Pain

Exercise is hard. Throughout my life, I’ve suffered a hate-loathe affair with physical exertion, which is especially problematic because I try to do a lot of it. (My most recent obsession is muay thai. My shins regret this obsession.) But the thing I don’t get is how some people latch onto the punishment. My training partner routinely coos about the glory of exhausted muscles. This does not compute. While I endeavour to understand why some people love being so tired you could barf, have a bunch of bargains in a bucket. (This week’s plushie is a repeat because I’m desperately trying to prepare for classes after this. But new plushie photos are always, always welcomed.)

Broken Age
$12.49/£8.09/€11.13
Almost everyone loved the first installment. Second one? Not so much, although the jury still seems to be partially out on whether it is a case of questionable production or the consequences of high expectations. Whatever the case, Double Fine’s Broken Age can now be acquired for a decent albeit not mind-bogglingly low price. (There’s a voucher for use too, if you’re inclined: pcgames5off)

This War of Mine
$9.99/£7.49/€9.49
11 bit Studios surprised me years ago, when they came out with their Anomaly franchise. Then, they surprised me again with This War of Mine. I remember expecting a shooter, something akin to a smaller scale Call of Duty. But, that obviously wasn’t what came out. It’s a slow, poignant title that isn’t without its little neuroses and niggling imperfections, but This War of Mine remains an intense reminder that conflict-based games don’t always have to be about the boom-boom-pow.

Hamilton’s Great Adventure
$1.68/£1.09/€1.50
Some games have a way of sliding out of the Internet’s radar, regardless of whether they’re good, terrible, or just different. It feels like Hamilton’s Great Adventure didn’t really make a splash in social media space, despite being reasonably well-reviewed. (I could have just been living under the rock.) Regardless, the game is currently riding an impressively low price point. (Don’t forget to

Legend of Grimrock
$3.00/£2.40/€2.80
My mild claustraphobia prevents me from fully enjoying dungeon crawlers as much as I should. (Similarly, aquaphobia keeps water levels from ever being a pleasure.) But I hear Legend of Grimrock is an absolute delight, if such things float your boat. (Bloody brilliant, even, according to our observations?) Make sure to use oldschool mode, for something properly challenging. (Alternatively, you could pick up Etrian Odyssey on a mobile platform?)

Also of note:

Goat Simulator -$2.54/£1.64/€2.26

A celebration of weirdness and barnyard life, Goat Simulator broke the Internet with its unapologetic embrace of its own flaws. There is nothing remotely serious about the title, although it has certainly made serious amounts of sales. If you’ve been wanting to try it out but have been reluctant to go for it at full price, now may be an excellent time to buy the farm? (Do not forget the code: SLICKD-EALS25-OFFEXL)

Dragon Age II – $4.62/£2.99/€4.11

The Dragon Age franchise is a place riddled with controversial opinions. For fear of having my nose bitten off, I’ll say this: some people really, really liked it. Others? Definitely not so much. You could always just formulate your own opinion, though, given that Dragon Age II is currently going for reasonably cheap. Personally, my vote goes for that final option. Whatever its problems, Bioware’s definitely got the right idea on creating potent characters.

The Chaos Engine – $0.99/£0.64/€0.88

The remastered version of the Chaos Engine wasn’t particularly well-received by the Internet, although it could be argued that the original only ever acquired an amiable shrug from critics of its own time. Nonetheless, if you’ve been curious about this top-down relic from yesterday, now would definitely not be the worst time to snag it. (Also of note: Mastertronic is doing a genuinely interesting sale right now. Not necessarily a great sale, but one filled with interesting games. )

1. Deathmaster says:

Don’t forget the link to bundlestars.com bundle. With Planetary Annihilation and Of Orcs and Men and many more. One of the best bundles this year.

2. jeeger says:

Hooray! Goat simulator for -$2.45! Gotta get me some’o that.
    Oh, it’s just an an en-dash instead of an em-dash. :-(

3. uriel222 says:

“(Don’t forget to” what?
    Don’t forget to WHAT? Damn your eyes, Khaw! DON’T FORGET TO WHAT?!?

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!

• cristoffson says:

Haha these were my thoughts exactly. The Humble sale is pretty good, and will probably get better. I impulsively bought Super Time Force and found it much, much better than I expected. Ended up obsessing over it last night instead of sleeping.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Eat your veggies.

• quietone says:

(Don’t forget to finish this sentence)

• Catchcart says:

Khaw: I shall you leave as you left me – marooned for all eternity in the center of a dead sentence. Buried alive…

KHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW!

4. thedosbox says:

Origin has a stackable 25% discount (code: origin25) on top of the sale price for Dragon Age Inquisition. That takes the US price down to $30. No link, as my posts have been hitting the moderation queue recently.

I played DA:Origin and found it enjoyable enough, but am not generally a fan of fantasy RPG’s. Does DA:I bring anything new to the genre? Adam’s review made it sound like a highly polished, story focused, iteration of DA:Origin, but minus the overhead view (which doesn’t bode well for combat).

• MuscleHorse says:

They patched in a higher isometric camera, though it’s a little hacky – you have to adjust the height it snaps to in the options menu.

It’s a great game and the combat is pretty brutal on higher difficulties if that’s what you’re looking for.

• malkav11 says:

Inquisition doesn’t do anything vastly new, no. It’s prettier than Origins and has much bigger, more sprawling areas with less to do in them that’s of any meaning or narrative consequence. And the combat is much, much easier and much, much more simplistic and rote, especially since you can’t do proper tactics because the camera won’t cooperate. It’s actually far easier to just let your companions do their thing and control your PC constantly. To me, this puts it dramatically worse than Origins, which had some of the most satisfying, challenging combat I’ve ever encountered in a CRPG (though games like Divinity: Original Sin and Pillars of Eternity are making strong bids lately). But hey, it’s more varied and spectacle-rich than Dragon Age II’s combat and far less tedious since encounters tend to be 1-6 enemies with actual differentiating factors instead of 10 utterly generic enemies, then 10 utterly generic enemies, then 10 utterly generic enemies.

It’s closer to Origins than II was and reverses several of that game’s missteps. And it really is gorgeous, and I love the characters and the setting and the narrative and dialogue when they bother to bring it out. I just wish the combat were better. And I wish Bioware would realize their strengths and go back to focusing on writing and characters and skip the whole open world thing because they are shit at it and it dilutes the good bits of the game so much. I’m pretty sure I’ve played less than half of Inquisition and I haven’t been back to it in months because every time I think about it I remember how much filler I would have to wade through to get to the parts that are actually rewarding and I just can’t muster any enthusiasm for the idea.

• welverin says:

Alternatively, if like me, what you’re really interested in are the character interaction, story bits, and exploration; drop the difficulty all the way down so you can breeze through the combat and you’ll have a grand old time.

I played next to nothing else after it came out until February, and the only reason I finished that soon is because I had a week off where I spent a large portion of that time just playing DA:I.

• malkav11 says:

I breeze through the combat on Hard. There’s still just a ton of stuff that really isn’t narratively interesting but triggers my compulsion to check boxes. And you have to do at least -some- of it to progress even if you somehow managed to get into RPGs without said compulsion.

5. Creeping Death says:

“My most recent obsession is muay thai”

What is that, a curry? I prefer Green thai myself.

• phelix says:

In a similar vein, I always half expect the waiter to smack my face whenever I order punch.

• BooleanBob says:

It’s either very or many Thai, I can never remember which.

6. Bioblit says:

The Humble Spring sale is also on, still in its first day. There’s some really great stuff discounted, including the Paradox grand strategy games. I’ve already picked up Prison Architect from there, and I’m strongly considering getting Charlemagne fo CKII as well.

• Frank says:

Agreed. I got This War of Mine there at the same price mentioned by Ms Khaw here. (It’s gone up in price again, though.)

• Bioblit says:

Prison Architect is cheaper now than it was earlier. But I guess that’s my fault for rushing into a purchase.

• Lagran says:

Same philosophy applies here as to Steam sales:

Is it a Daily Deal, 12-hr flash sale, or scheduled for 48 hours?

If yes, go ahead and buy.

If no (it’ll be scheduled for ~11 days at this current point), wait and see if it pops up as one of the above, or purchase on the last day.

7. Vacuity729 says:

On the topic of claustrophobia rather than bargains; I’ve never had real issues with games aggravating my claustrophobia. Movies, most certainly yes, same with theatre (most often with the seating, rather than the productions, but whatever), sometimes books, but I don’t recall ever having it triggered by games. Nevertheless, this is something I am kinda dreading about VR experiences; if the “presence” is as engaging as people say it can be, then I have a horrible feeling that the immediacy of enclosed spaces may be quite distressing.

I do own Legend of Grimrock. Is this something I may regret trying to play? Has it caused problems for anyone else? I grew up playing Bard’s Tale, so it never even occurred to me that that style of game might trigger claustrophobia.

• Jalan says:

I have a fear of heights (not quite near crippling level, but enough that I nearly faint when my elevation changes too much), not being trapped in enclosed/tight spaces and despite the fact that you can find yourself falling down floors… a lot, I didn’t have any trouble with Legend of Grimrock. Then again, I was too busy having my trousers wowed off me by the amazing lighting setup they have going in that game (which got even better in the sequel) + all the game bits of course. But my god, the lighting.

8. Dilapinated says:

Muay Thai will utterly kill your shins, yes. :( Especially if your club trains more for competition, there’ll be a lotta “kick each other’s shins with your shins!” conditioning stuff. Some clubs will let you/encourage you to use shinpads, which help greatly.

• Darth Gangrel says:

All my knowledge of Muay Thai comes from the 2003 movie Ong-Bak: The Muay Thai Warrior where Tony Jaa shows off the brutal efficiency of jumping up and slamming his elbow down into people’s craniums. I hope Cassandra doesn’t practice (or get practised on) stuff like that.

• Vayra says:

Ong Bak was probably one of the most awesome martial arts flicks I’ve ever seen.

Loved the dude in the wheelchair, he cracked me up every time.

9. Moth Bones says:

Grimrock may have been on sale at GG when you posted, but it isn’t now.

10. PancakeWizard says:

Oh, hey that’s one of my ‘buckets’! Blimey, that was a while ago!

11. caff says:

Some good stuff on sale in their main store at the moment,

12. Xan says:

I want that Oogie Boogie plushie!

• PancakeWizard says:

It’s from the Disney store. Not sure if they still do them. It’s around Xmas time their Nightmare stuff is more prominent.

13. kalirion says:

Groupees has a nice little bundle at link to groupees.com, though you’d want to pay $4 to get the good stuff.

$1 tier:
    Magicraft : Swords and Sorcery
    Jones On Fire + OST
    Ubinota (once unlocks in <650 more sales)

$4 tier:
    Woolfe – The Red Hood Diaries
    Dokuro
    NaissanceE
    Grim Legends 2: Song of the Dark Swan
    18 Wheels of Steel: Extreme Trucker

• Jalan says:

Weak, especially when their big draw is an episodic title of which you only get one part. At least the crappy Be Mine streak remains unbroken.