Jackets Off: Hotline Miami Making-Of Docu Gets Personal

Ah man, this one’s pretty good. A while back the producers at ComplexTV flew out to London to interview the reclusive developers of Hotline Miami [official site]. You can watch the results below: A just-about 30 minute-long documentary telling the tale of how two Swedish hipsters created one of the greatest indie games of all time. One of the guys cries in it, so you know it’s good.

Well, no, to be honest the whole thing is pretty horrifying. Both of the developers had a hell of a time through the making of Hotline Miami. Designer Jonatan Soderstrom had run out of cash and borrowing from his dad. Artist Dennis Wedin had gone through a bad breakup and was institutionalised briefly with depression. It’s an incredibly naked look into the creative process of people who are already struggling to keep it together.

Anyway, watch it:

1. MrFinnishDude says:

What are these two janitors doing there posing as game devs?

• MrFinnishDude says:

Also I really love Cactus’ games. They belong in a art gallery, better art than most of the stuff out there.

• ButteringSundays says:

Good job on being an asshole for two whole reasons in one short sentence.

• Frank says:

What? Why you gotta go calling names? Dude was just making an in-joke (you know, because they put themselves in the game as janitors). Please chill out.

Anyway, cactus has always been great and I hope things go well for both of Dennaton.

Aerothorn says:

I think it’d be more fair to say that Cactus’ games have been great. I’m a big fan of separating the art from the artist but cactus-as-cactus has done some less-than-great things (the “you can give me a blowjob” episode at GDC 2013 springs to mind).

• Flit says:

Hey thanks for being a civil dude in the comments section. :) People like you help make RPS a fun place by not responding to grumpy comments with further grumpiness.

2. dethtoll says:

Don’t suppose my initial reading of the headline was the intended one…

3. BisonHero says:

Hotline Miami 2 is the game they wanted to make, and they won’t apologize for it, and that’s fine.

I don’t think Hotline Miami 2 connected its storylines very well, added much of anything to the plot or backstory, or had appropriately balanced level design, and I won’t apologize for those opinions, and that’s fine too.

• siliciferous says:

Remind us again where someone expected you to apologize for this?

• cpt_freakout says:

It doesn’t, and it’s definitely not perfect in many, many ways, but man is it one of the most brilliant games out there.

• cpt_freakout says:

Lack of edit button attacks once again: I also wanted to agree with siliciferous that no, you do not have to apologize for anything.

4. Lamb Chop says:

Fun fact for the internet: The Hotline Miami soundtrack pairs beautifully well with Scarface. Just start them at the same time. My friends are obsessed with this and haven’t even played the game. Recommended as a backdrop for any cocaine-fueled hallucinatory raves you may be hosting.