Ekko: New League of Legends Champion Revealed

Riot revealed a new League of Legends champion, during the Mid-Season Invitational tournament that took place in Florida over the weekend. The new champion’s name is Ekko and, as you can see from the video, he has the ability to manipulate time.

The surprise teaser was shown after the first game of the five-match series that saw Chinese team Edward Gaming overcome South Korean super team SK Telecom T1. Make sure you check out all of Pip’s fantastic coverage of the event for an in-depth look at how that happened.

There are a ton of clues in this trailer as to how his time manipulation might work mechanically. But before you start over-analysing can we take a moment to appreciate how great Riot’s CG work continues to get? Gorgeous visuals and surprisingly effective storytelling for such a short piece. Hopefully it’s only a matter of time before we start seeing feature length animations coming out of this team.

Ekko is the first time mage to be added to League of Legends since Zilean, way back in April 2009. His abilities appear to be based around rewinding time to take advantage of enemy weaknesses, though quite how that’s going to work in a real-time strategy environment is still open to debate. No doubt we’ll be getting full details in the near future. No rush, Riot. You’ve got all the time in the world.

1. misterT0AST says:

I’m always unsure whether the release of a new LoL champion is newsworthy, since most players probably already know of it, and non players wouldn’t care.
    Since it is just an announcement, also, not much else can be added besides “watch this promotional video”.
    Gameplay changes might be meaningful, bring people back to the game, or the writer might have some insight. A vague announcement though seems really unworthy of coverage, especially since it doesn’t have any heavy implication for the metagame, or the game in general. Not that we know of, and the article doesn’t suggest it, or offer any further insight.

However, maybe the CGI trailer, showcasing mysterious elements might mean that there are bigger incoming changes or that this release will indeed be very special and have an impact on the game heavier than usual.

If this isn’t the case, and the video is just a way for Riot to promote their new champion with Timelapse, then I think this kind of announcement of things to come, relative to a single game, already clearly on the radar of the community, and vague or even meaningless for non-LoL players, shouldn’t be considered worthy of news. If it is meant to just be a place for the community to discuss it in the comments, this could even just be a forum post. I’ll take my grumpy coat, thanks for your attention.

• friik says:

I understand your viewpoint, but me as a former player, I get tempted everytime a new interesting Hero comes out and I want to jump back in.
      Maybe it’s for the non-fans that will get tempted by this interesting new and unique hero to finally take the leap of faith into the world of LoL – or maybe it’s for has-beens like me.

So, newsworthy yummyness for me!

• jrodman says:

I think it’s just an awkwardly placed advertisement to sell hero unlocks to the players.

Awkward because it kind of drives home the unfortunate unification between monopoly esport-owner and game-owner (who gets mad if a team-sponsor owns a brand… the hypocrisy), as well as the somewhat clunky monetization model for the game.

Couldn’t they even have the good taste to run the ad BEFORE the first game instead of interrupting the match?

• Xocrates says:

interrupting the match? It was a best of 5 series, and they have breaks between games anyway – including a rather long game analysis segment. According to the article they played this between match 1 and 2, probably so they could get to the viewers that joined at the start or during the first game.

• jrodman says:

I’m quite aware of the format. A best-of-5 format contest between two teams is called a match.

No matter how you slice it they inserted advertising content (of themselves) as a delay in their own game event. Yes, if mobas were to become some kind of television-like event, this is where you’d imagine the commercials would land, but firstly television-like events are not to my liking, and secondly, you wouldn’t expect the superbowl commercials to be for buying the ability to play football.

• Xocrates says:

Are you sincerely complaining that they made an advertisement for their game during an advertisement for their game?

• jrodman says:

If you get to choose such reductionist definitions, then you can’t communicate anything at all.

• Xocrates says:

Honestly, I’m just trying to figure out what exactly is so offensive about a League of Legends announcement during a League of Legends Event.

If you’re mad that a 2 minute video shown during a far larger break, then you must be bloody furious at the 40 minute showmatch that preceded the finals.

If you’re mad that they showed an advertisement to a related thing during the event, then I’m sorry to say but sport events do that all the time. I’ve lived through enough world cups to know that everything during that period is football related. Buy the official ball, buy some coca-cola – which sponsored this event, buy FIFA World Cup edition, same as the yearly edition but even less features and the same price.

• Xocrates says:

They actually started making CGI trailers for every champ a while ago. There’s nothing special about this one.

• Xzi says:

Agreed, tired of seeing a new news post on RPS every time Riot farts. Also, League of Legends sucks for anyone who doesn’t have a professional 5s team, so I’m not sure it really even counts as a game for the rest of us. More like a stress management simulator. Every new champion release just serves to imbalance the game even further, which is pretty incredible considering how shitty LoL’s balance is already.

Let us know when Riot releases a new game (AKA never), but otherwise, who gives a damn. They have their own site for promoting LoL/LoL news.

• Asurmen says:

Then don’t click on the link for a game you clearly detest. Problem (for you) solved. For those of us who enjoy it these articles are useful.

• Xzi says:

Pretty hard to ignore when there are roughly five of these stupid articles per day. And again, they have their own site for LoL updates/news, so they aren’t useful for anyone. Then again, the only thing that would make sense of it is that Riot is paying RPS for what is essentially ad space, so I suppose it would be useful for RPS in that regard. -___-

• Asurmen says:

Seeing as you [i]actively[/i] have to click on the link to view the article, regardless of how many there are you’re still having to put in the effort to view something you don’t like. Have you thought about, erm, not doing?

Oh, wait, RPS are getting paid off. Troll confirmed. Nothing to see here.

john_silence says:

Look, I haven’t played a single round of any MOBA ever but they’ve become such a huge part of PC gaming that at this point RPS is basically doing their job covering such an announcement. It’s not like RPS dropped everything to become a specialised MOBA magazine, the coverage of everything else has not diminished in proportion to the increase of LoL et al.-related content.
        Actually I don’t think I will ever play my first round of any MOBA as I have no great interest in the genre, its tropes and purported toxicity, nor the time and energy to expend on its mandatory learning curve, so I will never visit LoL’s website, but I still find Pip’s reports exotic and fascinating for some of the reasons she herself delineated in her recent article on the universal appeal of these games: the folklore, the lingo, the shared expertise, the neverending variations, the competition and scandals and bad guys, etc. Just like I don’t play MMO’s, but still skim through EVE Online content because of the high drama, and watch the trailers because my eyes like them pretties.

2. SlimShanks says:

Slow news day?

3. Jenks says:

I’ve been wondering what the hell happened to Jem. Are we going to be getting truly outrageous LoL updates from the rest of the holograms?

4. Thirdrail says:

The newsworthy part of Ekko is that he’s the second black champion out of a hundred and twenty-something characters Riot has created. That’s a step in the right direction!

And yes we are all dying for Riot for make an animated series. The Bard intro movie was even better than this one.

• jrodman says:

Be careful what you wish for. I cite everyone circa 2000 saying squaresoft should just go into making movies since their games were so focused on animations and stories. Then they did. …

5. Poerts says:

Like with all other well-done fancy LoL Character videos this just makes me wish the character had their own non-moba game and this was a trailer for it. Ekko as the main character of an action platformer with some weird time-manipulation stuff would be pretty sweet.

6. awesomebeartato says:

Check out my stream. I need players on the pbe for my Ekko stream 5/14/15. It will start anytime between 11:00am-1:30pm EST and I will play for as long as I feel. link to twitch.tv