Fight And Ride Dinosaurs In Ark: Survival Evolved

At first glance Ark: Survival Evolved [official site] looks like another online, open-world survival game. That’s because it is. But it’s also a game in which you can capture, train and ride dinosaurs. And then fight other dinosaurs. How are there not more games around that allow you to do this?

Ark was announced yesterday by newcomers Studio Wildcard, who promise that it will include all of your favourite survival game features like crafting, hunting, building and waking up naked. Build a tribe with your friends, then fight your other friends. With dinosaurs.

You’ll be able to try all this out for yourself when it lands on Steam Early Access on June 2nd, before its official launch in 2016. Here’s the announcement trailer:

The trailer footage looks visually stunning and the whole game seems to have just the right level of tongue in cheek. Triceratops and Pterodactyls mixed with giant scorpions and… dragons? Underneath the whole prehistoric, land before time feel (we’ll just forget we saw someone firing a machine gun in the trailer) there’s an even more intriguing sci-fi story going on. Beams of light and floating structures and what’s that embedded in the player’s wrist?

Yeah, okay. Definitely going to be checking this one out when June 2nd rolls around.

The Stomping Land promised a similar experience last year, even if it woefully failed to live up to it. Things did not go well for The Stomping Land and it’s no longer available to buy on Steam. Hopefully Ark: Survival Evolved fares better.

1. Artist says:

Not authentic! Needs more feathers!

• ribby says:

Boo to your scientifically accurate dinos, I want lizard raptors!

• Villephox says:

Yeah, I’m really sick of scaly, shrink-wrapped dinosaurs. Not only is it unrealistic, it is also really unoriginal. Dinosaurs (and pterosaurs, crocodylomorphs, stc) are incredible creatures, and they deserve to look as awesome as possible, not the same ol stuff over and over.

• rabbit says:

I’ve thought it a bunch of times … I think there would be few things scarier than a raptor or T rex spotting you, feather’d up, and rearing up and flaring its feathers out in anger. I actually shat myself just typing this comment.

2. ribby says:

Like the Stomping Lands but good!

• RR_Raptor65 says:

I would like to point out that a lot of the devs on this are also responsible for Primal Carnage.

3. Siimon says:

Interesting, but a few questions:

Whats up with that triceratops? Thats some really dumb AI.

How will the mix of stone age and modern/future weapons work? PvP will be very imbalanced, no?

• ribby says:

I mean, it’s a triceratops… I’m not expecting it to have more advanced tactics than ‘run at enemy’

4. Challenger2uk says:

I got The Stomping Lands on steam. Lets see how this one does cause running through a forest hearing loud echoing thumps on the ground is a lot scarier than the slithering noise of a zombie.

5. GameCat says:

FPP game where you can sprint more than 5 seconds? BLASPHEMY

6. Unclepauly says:

How do you ride a scorpion and be fully comfortable that you will not get stung in the head?

• Emeraude says:

You don’t.
      That’s half the charm.

It’s like playing Russian Roulotte (pardon my French).

7. jellydonut says:

It would be better without the giant scorpion and the dragon. It was like my childhood Jurassic Park fantasy until they suddenly crossed over into Fallout and high fantasy.

8. klops says:

Tyrannosaurus! Whee! Oh, fight it standing next it and shoot arrows at it. While it bites some of your health off… Ohh, a Triceraptops! Oh, walk backwards and shoot it in the head, it won’t catch you…

If you make big, wonderful beasts, why make them weak and lame? Same thing with Skyrim Dragons that land next to you so you can fight them better. Dino riding and shooting a dodo in the ass was nice though.

9. Eery Petrol says:

Please add Flinstones mechanics. Please Please Please. I want my vacuum cleaner to be a dodo.

• NonCavemanDan says:

All that jumped into my head was the dodos from Ice Age. If they don’t start screaming “Themelonthemelonthemelonthemelon” while they swarm you I’m going to be very disappointed.

• Darth Gangrel says:

All I remember about dodo’s from Ice Age was their martial arts prowess, they called themselves Taekwandodo’s. Using taekwando as a dodo would be great.

10. SuicideKing says:

Sci-fi angle is probably to explain the extreme level of cooperation b/w dinosaurs and humans – that embedded stuff probably helps humans to control dinos.

Looks good (and looks like it’s made with CryEngine), but I wonder how the online component plays out. Can I join on a persistent server with a group of friends? Will other players be asshats? Etc.

• DarkFenix says:

It’s Unreal Engine 4, other players will always be asshats and there will be dedicated servers you can set up as you please. The devs have been very active on the Steam forums, answering just about anything anyone cares to ask.

11. SooSiaal says:

• davethejuggler says:

I fucking loved dino riders. Had some of the toys and they were the best! Noone else seems to remember them so seeing this here made my day :)

• SooSiaal says:

Yeah its weird,it was a pretty big hit amongst the kids at school,nowadays nobody seems to remember it.
        I still got one of the raptors laying around :D

• Rao Dao Zao says:

I would like to raise you Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

[youtube link to youtube.com

12. Chaz says:

That actually looks really good!

I only hope that it’s not going to be restricted to just open PvP grieferville style servers though. There better be some non PvP options.

13. derbefrier says:

Looks pretty good mmy reactions to the video were that some of the dinos didnt seem dangerous enough. Seeing that triceratops stop in the middle of a charge so the player could take shots didnt look right. It should have trampled his ass. Dragons, really? Just couldnt help yourselves?

Still it looks promising. I will keep a close eye on it as it progresses through early access. Survival games seem to have trouble ever making it out of early access so i am not gonna rush out and buy it.

14. Fenix says:

What’s the deal with the Dodo’s…