Sunken City: Grand Theft Auto V Tsunami Mod

When the PC port of GTA V [official site] was announced last year, I hoped we’d see a version of the console mod (yes, really) which flooded the world. This has arrived. Or they have. Several different mods are now draining and flooding San Andreas, letting you walk amongst dry corals or diving down to sunken streets. The absurdity and wonder of it all is quite something. Come see.

Look, I realise it may seem like I’m being frivolous posting about such a simple mod when folks are getting to grips with mod tools to add serious things like ambulance missions, trucking, and fuel consumption but ‘wild swimming’ is my current obsession. I swim in a cold pond five times a week. I’ve even tried doing that in GTA V, roaming the land in search of the perfect pond. I have wanted this mod from the start.

The No Water + Tsunami + Atlantis mod by Script Mods isn’t perfect. It doesn’t work on some parts of the world, so you will sometimes find yourself on dry land then suddenly encounter a solid block of ocean towering above you. It does freak out a bit from all the pedestrians spawning underwater too; do also follow the instructions to disable them – or don’t, if you want a wacky adventure with cars and people all over.

Here’s someone playing the mod:

And GtaGamer222 showing off their own similar mod, which isn’t out yet:

1. Cocoarico says:

Where is the game of the month sprite on the title picture? But more importantly i find this all very exciting but would very much like to see a slowly rising tide gently sweep the city into a watery oblivion.

• Ross Angus says:

I believe the quote you’re looking for is:

Someday a real rain will come and wash all this scum off the streets

Harlander says:

… and I’ll look down and whisper, “no”

• Anthile says:

like tears in the rain.”

DelrueOfDetroit says:

“I feel the need, the need for speed.”

What… I thought we were quoting movies that have nothing to so with one another?

2. GallonOfAlan says:

I would almost buy it on PC just for this. There aren’t enough huge waves in games. Although a tsunami tends to be a high-ish wave that just never stops coming and keeps pushing inland as opposed to some 400ft wall. Your average surfer in Hawaii or wherever surfs far higher waves than any tsunami.

FhnuZoag says:

Yeah, why hasn’t anyone made a full game like this?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Indeed, 100ft/30ish meters in Portugal was the world record of surfing.

Although we aren’t talking about an average surfer but more like both a pro and an insane madman with a deathwish combined, but still!

Also mind that the effect is a little exacerbated in some shots by an extremely high focal length that compresses the perspective, but then in real life it was probably scarier regardless.

3. nesousx says:

Nice mod, thanks for sharing. I am building a list of mods I’d like to play once I’ve completed the game.
    However, I wish GTA V was more stable. It actually keeps crashing on my computer and I even end up in funny stuff like this: link to youtube.com (falling under the world, infinite loops). Make the game lasts longer.. *sighs*

• keithzg says:

Huh, that sucks. I’ve actually only had one crash so far in my 15 hours of playing, and that was before I updated my graphics drivers. (I’m not used to this; normally I just run Linux, but GTA V was finally a game that isn’t on Linux that’s actually worth booting into Windows for, and I’m flabbergasted. On Linux—specifically Kubuntu—every application and driver and etc is all updated in one fell swoop whenever I get the little notification and I hit “okay”. On Windows everything has its own updater or has to be manually downloaded from a website, and even worse, in many cases I have to remember to check? What year is this, 1999? I’m way too lazy with computers in my home life for this!)

4. Firkragg says:

Can you still activate missions from underwater? Just curious how the cutscenes would play out. There was that ragdoll mod not too long ago you could activate during cutscenes, just for fun.

5. Kefren says:

This is why games should allow mods.

phuzz says:

There’s a nice lake/pond on Mount Gordo (top right of the map) which you might like Alice. There’s also a yoga activity at the top which I actually found quite calming, and more enjoyable than the forced bit in the main missions.

• frymaster says:

what I liked about the enforced yoga was that, for at least some of the time (certainly not all, or even half) Amanda was teasing Mike and not sniping him. It was about the first time there was any indication there was any kind of relationship there

7. int says:

And I was just getting used to the antediluvian portions of the game.

8. SilentDawn says:

This mod + this music link to youtube.com + rockstar editor = epicness. MAKE IT HAPPEN!

9. Tei says:

I have made and seen many mods in my life, standalone mods, map packs made by true genius, crazy cool combo mods with amazing stuff… but I don’t think I oversell this saying this is the most awe inspiring mod I have seen in 20 years.

Pro-Tip: If your home is on low ground level relative to the sea, don’t vote for the Republic party, ..they get money from the Oil industry and other people, they are paid to lie to the public and to cut funding to the NASA, they are anti-science and they will take a part in a global disaster that is going to happend in the next 50 years.

• jonahcutter says:

President Obama has just opened up more offshore drilling.

link to nytimes.com

There are myriad other examples of Democrats contributing to the problem as well. The legacy of most U.S. politicians will be one of largely ignoring the threat, if not outright making it worse.

• 7vincent7black7 says:

I love how the second half of your post has nothing to do with what you were originally saying nor with what the article in question is about either.

10. racccoon says:

Lol …here come the yellow the submarine gangs