Rhythmic Platforming: Inside My Radio Released

People often ask me, “Alice, when will we see the Citizen Kane of video games?” As they drop to their knees and scrabble in the bloody sawdust for fragments of their teeth, I explain that what we really need is a Björk explaining television of video games.

Sadly, I don’t think Inside My Radio [official site] is that game. However, a rhythm-platformer set inside a radio still sounds like a pleasant thing, and now the game is out.

Inside My Radio sees an LED inside a dying radio trying to bring it back to life by rocking some beats. This involves jumping on things in time with music, of course, as well as a little puzzle-solving and thing-fighting. You tour different genres as you traverse the radio’s guts too, though I suspect not quite as much as I’d like – it could be a great opportunity to explore some weird subgenres, if you’re willing to risk players saying “What is this horrible noise?” I suppose that’s why it seems to mostly be pumpy electronic music.

The game started life in 2012 as a Ludum Dare game jam entry and, in the absence of a demo, you can still play that original version if you fancy seeing what it’s about.

Inside My Radio is currently on Steam for £8.79, thanks to a 20% launch discount.

And remember: you shouldn’t let poets lie to you.

1. BluePencil says:

That Bjork clip is brilliant.

neffo says:

It was ironically poetic. Now I don’t know who to believe.

• LTK says:

It was indeed. That claim that watching a moving picture made of pixels means that your brain is too busy to piece the image together to be able to think critically is a quintessential bit of Luddite fearmongering. I was astonished by how inventive that was. Good to see that pseudoscience was being debunked by kids long before I was born.

• jrodman says:

It works because there is something hypnotic about the television-watching experience. I doubt movies are really any different, but their place in our lives is pretty different or at least they were.

2. Llewyn says:

I’m not sure there has ever been in the history of the world anyone more beautiful, in a complete sense, than the young Björk – not just looks and voice, but the magical sense of wonder, crazy imagination, and the ability to communicate both.

• Ross Angus says:

She is the template from which a million Manic Pixie Dream Girls were copied from. In the same way as Radiohead spawned Travis and Coldplay.

We should not blame the original.

• Darth Gangrel says:

“We should not blame the original” Lol, say that to John Walker and his “How Half-Life Killed The First-Person Shooter” article. It’s not the original’s fault that other people poorly imitated it, not understanding what made it great.