First-Person Parkour: Lemma Released With Demo

They call this parkour move 'le uh oh grand'

I never knew how much I wanted games to have a button to let me forward-roll whenever I jolly well pleased, and now I don’t want to leave Lemma [official site]. AND! You can look down to see your arms and legs and body. If you’re a bitter cynic who demands more than SEEING LEGS! then I suppose the first-person parkour with mantling, wall-running, and wall-jumping might please you. Or the voxelicious world which materialises walls and platforms as if by magic as you run.

Lemma launched yesterday, and has a demo you can give a whirl.

It’s a first-person parkour platformer set in an odd world of floating platforms and abstract structures, where your movements can create more too. With the magic of voxels, in places you’ll find walls and floors rising as you need them. It all looks very cool. The platforming’s pretty good too, once you get used to the feel of the movement – the long jump threw me for a while. See for yourself in the demo.

We’ve had an eye on Lemma for years as developer Evan Todd worked away. His Kickstarter campaign for it fell short, but bless him he finished it up. Now it’s out for about £10, on Steam, Itch.io, and through a Humble Store widget. All places offer Steam keys, but Itch and Humble give Todd a bigger cut.

From this site

1. klops says:

Oooh!

2. CMaster says:

Oooh. The tech demo for this was really interesting, but I thought it had been abandoned.

3. Jason Moyer says:

Oooh.

Phasma Felis says:

Are there any games besides this and Mirror’s Edge in the first person parkour genre?

Don Reba says:

Eden Star, sort of. Although, it’s not the focus of the game.

• brulleks says:

InMomentum.

• mika76 says:

Dying light – best parkour game so far.

• Geebs says:

NaissanceE, which I loved, although I may have been the only one…

• Tinotoin says:

Is NaissanceE parkour like? I bought it ages back but only played for half an hour or so, and don’t seem to remember it being parkoury in the early stages – does it happen later?

• Kitsunin says:

I’d say it’s a first person puzzle platformer. Not really any parkour elements, but it’s kind of got the whole first person sometimes-vertical navigation thing going on.

• Geebs says:

It doesn’t have any wall-running, but on a positive note it also doesn’t have that terrible run-up-a-wall-and-jump-backwards move, either. The running is kind of mirrors’ edge-ish.

Best parkour games ever are still Prince Of Persia SoT and Warrior Within, of course.

• Kitsunin says:

Don’t get me wrong though, I loved NaissanceE.

• Tortango says:

Cloudbuilt!

• Nixitur says:

Cloudbuilt is a fantastic Parkour game, but it’s not first person.

• Tortango says:

oh wow, you’re right. weird how I spent a lot of time playing that game and vividly remember it being first person.

• trjp says:

Deadcore – has THE most amazing movement controls, the game is also NAILS hard

5. drkeiscool says:

Wow, this has come so far from the alphas released a few years ago!

I miss being able to jump-kick straight up, though.

particlese says:

Oooh! I tried backing the Kickstarter but haven’t had much time to keep up since, so I’m glad to see this is alive and well, still on Github (just the engine), and that his dev blog is illuminating and entertaining.

7. Raoul Duke says:

Parkour strikes me as one of those things that game developers think is super cool but no-one else actually cares about. Sort of like goatees.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Much like games such as Deus Ex offers you various ways to get from A to B or to complete an objective, parkour is also about offering options, so that you don’t have to do things the same way each time. Why go up the stairs like a normal person when you can jump on top of it or climb it from the side. If there is an obstacle in way I find it fun to figure out how many different ways I can get across it. Movement in games is still very primitive, but integrating parkour moves makes it much more varied and fun.

• CMaster says:

It’s less that parkour is that exciting of itself, and more that in most games, your character exists (to the gameworld) as a cardboard box that slides around and occasionaly magically acquires vertical velocity.

This is a lot different from controlling an actual person who can change shape, jump in different arcs and climb things. It’s exicting to see games that try to simulate a richer, more convincing form of movement, than the magic-cardboard-box system.

• Raoul Duke says:

What you describe would be great, if it was based on how relatively normal humans work.

But most “parkour” type stuff involves you being able to magically “wall run”, jump 3 metres vertically and other crap that is totally ridiculous.

• SlimShanks says:

Also, parkour is super cool.

8. Geebs says:

Holy noodle-arms, Batman!

9. TomxJ says:

Looks nice! Very Fantastical, I’m not convinced you can call it Parkour unless you’re vaulting over fences in urban areas though.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Parkour practitioners usually hang around urban areas, because most people live there and because there are lots of fun obstacles like rails and low walls to climb on and jump over. However, it’s not the area that defines it as parkour, it’s the freedom of choice and creative use of your movements that do that. Rural environments also have fun obstacles, like trees and boulders.

10. ventricule says:

I have been looking for something to replace defrag for a while, is this it?

11. trjp says:

I just gave the demo a whirl and here’s how it went

Hmm – realistic acceleration as if I was walk/running – this could get tricky.
    Why do my hands flail ahead of me like I’m epileptic/being electrocuted
    Ho – that felt satisfying – wooo!
    Hey – this is more fun than that first minute suggested – pretty too – WOW, that was fun – woooooooo!
    What? There’s a story? Interesting…
    Wooooooooo! – Dead
    Wooooooooo! – made it
    Wow – you can smash through things!!
    Hey – hidden orb – gotcha
    Hey, switches are COOL
    WoW – red things HURT
    This is really quite unique and rather clever
    My hands still look stupid tho – seriously, like a 1930s film of a marathon – slow that down a bit eh?
    and so on…

I loved the demo – it’s a must-try – just – well – the hands, OK – silly…