Assassin’s Creed Syndicate Announced, Set In London

This year’s instalment of Assassin’s Creed will visit Merrye Olde Victoriane Londone, Ubisoft announced today (and as we knew ages ago), in Assassin’s Creed Syndicate [official site]. It’s due on PC this autumn with carriages to ride, urchins to milk for information, working class gangs to recruit, and a smattering of comedy cockneyisms.

Come have a look in the nine-minute gameplay trailer, showing off one mission.

Assassin’s Creed Syndicate is set in London during the year 1868 and sees protagonists Jacob and Evie liberating boroughs (pronounced burrows, apparently) of London by igniting a gang war throughout the city. The gameplay demonstration showed off a few new features to the game, which otherwise looks pretty similar to Assassin’s Creed Unity in a lot of ways. The rope launcher allows you to quickly leap up most buildings, making all that pesky climbing a thing of the past. Other new features include environmental takedowns and roaming the streets in a horse and carriage.

It’s being made by Ubisoft Quebec, not usual series leads Ubisoft Montreal. While Ubisoft have given concrete release dates for the console versions of the game (October 23rd), we’re lumbered with a more nebulous “autumn” window, which probably means we’ll see the PC version pushed to early 2016. Again. Still, at least they’re up front about it this time.

Check out the videos below for more details and, if the cockney accents get too much for you, join us in removing our hats and entering stealth mode.

1. ButteringSundays says:

Really? They’re taking themselves far too seriously. Load of pretentious nonsense. Hope this doesn’t become a trend…

Just drop the trailer already – and it better have some bloody gameplay in it.

• ButteringSundays says:

For anyone confused by this comment it was in response to an entirely different article, which has since been replaced with this one. (Odd content strategy, RPS)

It was originally pointing at a live-reveal thing.

• Universal Quitter says:

I thought it described an upcoming Assassin’s Creed release pretty well. I don’t think anyone would have noticed.

• Cochise779 says:

This is video game marketing. Someone who claims PR expertise hacks today what may have been a genuine interview so that it sounds like “Ooo, video games! Big! Fast!” These kinds of reveals and trailer always sound like they’re taking themselves vastly too seriously.

2. dangermouse76 says:

London Baby !
    Sorry. I have tried to like the stealth and fighting mechanics in these games and they just don’t gel for me. The fighting is very easy – to which my friends tell me it’s a bad ass simulator – and the stealth feels unrewarding and shallow.
    I maybe guilty of wanting a set of systems that can’t be made but I feel totally disconnected from the systems, and only so much pretty can help with that.
    If they could mash Thief, Elder scrolls and Dishonored’s stealth together and make it have children that might be closer.
    Combat lacks connection and weight if your gonna keep it easy maybe look at Batman’s fighting system for some pointers. Batman is easy but really fun.

basilisk says:

Have you played Unity? It has improved the combat, so it’s no longer just one-on-one and not quite so counter heavy (though it’s still not a great system, it’s definitely better), and substantially better stealth mechanics, so the thing almost works like a proper stealth game now.

The game made way too many missteps along the way, but the core gameplay components of an AC have never been better.

• Philomelle says:

They began to gel wonderfully for me as soon as I realized Assassin’s Creed plays exactly like Prince of Persia, but in 3D. The large spaces for exploration, slow and careful climbing that punishes missteps, combat focused on trading and deflecting blows, all of it is there.

In fact, my primary complaint about AC: Brotherhood and onwards stems from them overloading the games with all the management-based mechanics. I quite liked it when it was pretty much Prince of Persia 3D.

3. akstro says:

Did anyone see that brand new fast combat that they are talking about because it looks exactly the same. It’s also quite concerning that they are showing concept arts to demonstrate gameplay instead of showing it when the game is 5 months from release. And OF COURSE we get a vague PC release date, how many years has it been since they said the PC version would start launching alongside consoles?

4. Biggus_Dikkus says:

more of the same like AC2 &3

• ChairmanYang says:

Actually, I played Assassin’s Creed 2 (and most of the rest of the series) for the first time last year, and no, the series isn’t still like AC2 anymore.

It’s much worse.

Ubisoft always talks about how combat, stealth, and traversal have been improved or completely revamped with every installment, but somehow they’ve managed to make everything play worse than the series’ AC2/AC: Brotherhood peak. It’s baffling, actually; they have giant teams and basically infinite resources, but they can’t seem to hire the right people to get the core mechanics done properly. Aside from that, the excellent story and mission design of AC2/Brotherhood have undergone an even steeper decline.

• XhomeB says:

Since AC1, the series seems to stray further and further away from its (once) selling point – ASSASSINATIONS. We have huge cities full of mundane activities, collectibles and nothing else.
        When it comes to getting rid of key targets, the game turns into a linear, scripted snorefest. You have NO freedom whatsoever. Let me take advantage of these giant city districts. Or huge mantions. Or day/night cycles. Let me decide how and when to eliminate targets, Hitman style. Poison their food, wait until nightfall and sneak into their stronghold unnoticed, use the sewer system to get in, change clothing etc. Let me be creative.

Instead, you have no freedom. Get in, fight your way to the guy, stab, escape. There’s absolutely nothing interesting in these games to actually DO. What is there revolves around… climbing (devoid of any skill) and… taking in the sights and… collecting feathers/coins and… even more running around in search of more collectibles or something utterly stupid, like time trials. That’s it. B-o-r-i-n-g.
        The “story” was always dumb to begin with, and it’s only gotten worse. It’s utterly pointless, they make stuff up as they go.

basilisk says:

This has actually been vastly improved in Unity. The assassinations in it are much more freeform than they used to be. Not quite Far Cry levels of freedom, but you can pick your entrances, killing methods or exits pretty much any way you fancy. Closer to AC1 than any other game in the series.

• aepervius says:

It still feel you spend pretty much 95% of your time not doing anything interesting though. Which is probably why I am not a fac of the AC serie (only played 2 to the end) whereas I am a deep fan of hitman, heck even the last I find a better assassination/stealth simulator than AC.

basilisk says:

There’s something to that, yes. But for me, the games are historical sightseeing simulators first and foremost. Which is why I go after all of the very many collectibles, even though I know it’s an entirely hollow and time-wasting mechanic. It’s just an excuse to be there, in an imperfect but beautiful simulacrum of the past. I know that for many people, that isn’t enough. For me, it is.

The games never even tried being Hitman. In fact, the first AC did not have the slightest idea what it was trying to be. I’m pretty sure they know what they’re after now, but what they’re after is not quite compatible with the bombastic whims and demands of the triple-A world. Which is where all the problems with AC come from.

Well, that, and being developed by thousands of people spread around the world to a merciless schedule. That’s not helping, either.

• TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Honestly, if nothing else, this announcement has made me want to go back and try the original.

• Dawngreeter says:

I would strongly recommend you don’t do that. I like the original, but that’s one very, very confused game with absolutely no idea what it’s doing or where it’s going. Either Brotherhood or Black Flag would be my recommendations for a starting point. Probably Brotherhood.

• KenTWOu says:

Last time I played AC4: Black Flag it had fantastic assassination missions. Some of them even allowed you to assassinate a target before he gets on a ship, when he gets on a ship (during boarding or deck fight) or at the point of destination. It also had really cool warehouse raids and smugglers dens. And campaign mission design was really good from sandbox and systemic point of view. So I don’t know where you’re coming from.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

> can’t seem to hire the right people to get the core mechanics done properly

Firing Patrice Désilets, TWICE, does that.

5. Biggus_Dikkus says:

love the wide end empty streets of victorian London

6. CookPassBabtridge says:

When will Freddy Krueger be a playable character?

7. cpt_freakout says:

Key question: will it smell of septic tanks and people dying of cholera?

8. Tomo says:

I’ve never played an Ass Creed, and the London setting had me temporarily sold, but then I watched the gameplay video and it looked godawful.

Every stealth genre trope was there:
    – civilians unconcerned by murders happening mere metres away
    – gang leaders oblivious to the decimation of their gang members
    – people being held at gunpoint for you to conveniently sneak up behind the executioner and slay them
    – enemies conveniently standing under precariously hanging barrels. BARRELS. WHO HANGS 10 BARRELS BY A HARNESS FROM A HOUSE. BEER BARRELS GO UNDERGROUND BECAUSE THEY ARE FUCKING HEAVY. NOT THROUGH A WINDOW ON THE FIFTH FLOOR.

Man alive.

• Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

Completely agree. What a strange way of dealing with the game.

• Creeping Death says:

Actually pullies on the side of warehouses etc. were quite common back then. They were used to transport goods (in this case in barrels) to the upper floors quickly.

Of course, they positioned the camera in a way so that I couldnt see if they’d actually modeled an upstairs entryway to justify the barrels hanging there.

9. Tomo says:

And it’s essentially stolen the Gangland mechanic from GTA: San Andreas. Which was one of the shittest parts of an otherwise wonderful game. Nnnrgghhhh.

• TobleroneRoloCombo says:

Honestly, that mechanic was moreso badly-implemented than anything else. It was fun to paint your map with your gang colours, spreading out Grove Street members which could be picked up, and earning more money in doing so.

What wasn’t fun was the fact that it was essentially a skirmish minigame where you have to kill three waves of enemies while staying within the mission area, who sometimes refuse to spawn, and it can frequently become difficult to find the last one(s). These territories are often tiny to the degree it becomes a slow crawl to actually expand, and this despite the fact that it’s required to start the final mission. There’s also the fact that only two enemy gangs exist (despite the groundwork existing much of the map to allow gang warfare,) and the fact that your fellow crewmembers die easily (and thus end up being fairly redundant.)

10. Serenegoose says:

For a game trailered on encouraging the people of london to rise up against the templars and whatnots, the assassins sure are utter pricks to them. Rise up! For me! Excuse me for a minute, I need to brutalise this carriage driver.

11. sicbanana says:

What the hell?! Where should one even start? The most ridiculous thing ever is that horse carriage uprooting every damn lantern it hits. A horse. A wood vehicle. Smashing through anchored iron… how silly can it get?

And, isn’t it a bit too sunny for “ye olde” London? I was suspecting more Sweeny Todd style there.

12. Turkey says:

It’s a good thing he hi- jacked the horse steroids delivery carriage.

13. thekelvingreen says:

I was rather hoping, given all the Englishmen roaming around Paris in Unity, that their version of London would be chock full of French and German folk. Alas.

14. Velko says:

What, another one already? Geez.

15. Fnord73 says:

Why cant they just use that engine and the cities for something else? Grand Theft Assasins, Ruffians Creed or something?

16. mashkeyboardgetusername says:

I thought it looked like it might be fun. Is there something wrong with me?

17. grimdanfango says:

That’s not Syndicate!

THIS is Syndicate:

:-)

18. 9of9 says:

So maybe I’m in the minority that thought Unity was the best Assassin’s Creed since 2 *ducks* So I kinda had high-ish hopes for Victory/Syndicate, but good grief, this looks like it could do with another couple of years of work.

Of course, five months from release the game should be well into beta by now and undergoing extensive testing, rather than doing the pre-alpha shtick, so it might just be footage from last year, or maybe even a couple of years ago… but then it doesn’t make sense why they’d show it anyway. It’s drab, uninspired and makes me want to sell off Ubisoft stock, if I owned any.

19. Zenicetus says:

Damn, but that looks like a disappointing use of the setting.

I know they’re showing the most action-y bits for a reveal trailer, but Victorian London just screams for an actual assassin game, heavy on stealth (and not like this), creeping slowly at night over rooftops and through the fog. Instead we have Arkham-esque street brawls and car chases with carriages pulled by indestructible horses.

This doesn’t seem like a very relatable main character either. I could relate to playing a pirate in Black Flag, and I thought Ezio was okay too. But I don’t see the fun in being a street gang leader. I was hoping for more of an Assassin-as-Sherlock theme, with more of a main character focus. Maybe it will be better than it looks.

• czerro says:

Yeah, it’s a bit confusing…

I have no problem playing an anti-hero or even a villain in a game, but there seems to be a pretty big disparity between the character’s actions ingame and the context they are set in and portrayed as in the cinematic pieces. Heroic.

Perhaps it’s intentional?

So…you saved that part of town in the demo, by tearing apart the entire district, injuring and murdering nearby bystanders, and inciting a gang war that ostensibly rages outside of the carnage in your immediate vicinity. You then save the slum from the overbearing Crimson Lady/Madame Rouge or whatever her name was…and announce you are now in charge of their slum and victoriously announce “You all work for US now!” to which everyone riotously cheers?!

I don’t get it. This is the fantasized populace reaction of every militant despot on the eve of supplanting the previous despot, right? It’s too absurd…

• Zenicetus says:

Exactly. Unless it’s a lot more nuanced than it looks, I just don’t want to play as this guy.

There is also an odd smugness about him, which I don’t recall from earlier AC games. Just look at that image in the article header in the train station. Seems like an arrogant asshole. The Kenway (?) character in Black Flag swaggered around doing his pirate captain thing, but he wasn’t this smug about it. The tone just seems off.

(Sigh) Well, I guess I’ll wait for a sale a year or two from now, and see if it’s fun enough just for the setting.

20. Jeroen D Stout says:

That debut opening trailer has a similar paradox as Watchdogs- money-to-the-workers and hack-all-data is what Ubisoft wants you to get enthusiastic about, but surely would not want you to do.

(That and the killing people.)

• Nasarius says:

Yeah, that was my favorite point from Tauriq Moosa’s “Violence is Boring” article a couple weeks ago: imagine how cool Watch Dogs could have been if it really was about hacking and exploration, and not mostly just shooting men in the face.

There are a million other types of gameplay you could have in an open world game, *especially* in a dystopian cyberpunk setting, but instead it’s the same old punchy-stabby-shooty slog, again and again.

• Jeroen D Stout says:

I actually meant do in real life; game studios are not known for their great work standards, nor would they actually want you to hack things. I find the idea of ‘power to the worker’ coming from a big corporation wryly amusing.

• Emeraude says:

Makes sense though: “Have fun in the power fantasies we sell you to keep you docile while we keep the real deal to ourselves”.

Not to mention, it allows the developers to feel on the side of the people – if only symbolically – while actually supporting the companies.

• Fnord73 says:

I would so so dearly love to play something else than a fricking assassin in one of these worlds. What about playing a cop, or just a ordinary villain. What about using the engine as a basis for an RPG with real depth?

Oh wait, the whole parkourthing-powerfantasy is the selling point.

21. w0bbl3r says:

Wow, so original
    Just like last time, so unique.
    But this time they made HUGE changes.
    Do you see? Massive change, will completely revolutionise assassins creed, do you all see it?
    He wear a hat instead of a hood.
    And it has english people in england instead of in france like last time.
    This looks SOOOO cool.
    Ouch, sarcasm overload gave me a headache

• Halfgild Wynac says:

I think, Aveline did wel without any hood, and even Connor had his share of hoodless moments, especially at the beginning ;).

22. Creeping Death says:

“hustle and bustle” “bustling streets” *shows a near dead street*

What happened to the crowds they hyped in Unity?

This isnt really the London I was hoping for in an AssCreed game. You could tell me it was late 1800s New York and I’d believe you.

Bluerps says:

Am I going mad, or does the picture at the top of the article keep changing?

edna says:

Assassin’s Creed set in London and nobody is going to mock the girl’s dodgy accent? I thought I knew you, RPS commenters.

This could be the first of the series that I play. Exploring Victorian London may be too much fun to pass up. Assuming it lets me explore properly, that is.

Mind you, it’s not really London unless I can hit golf balls at a man hanging from a plastic box over Tower Bridge.

• Creeping Death says:

WOW, that’s a dated reference!

Honestly, the moment I saw the knuckle dusters in the promo pic I knew we were going to hear some terrible faux-cockney accents. The girl was exceptionally bad though.

25. fco says:

i like the setting, but all i could think during that video was “so much killing…”

am i getting too old?

26. ribby says:

4:19

The headfirst approach is probably not a good idea

Oh? That’d be a first

27. rabbit says:

So …. when are they gunna retire the engine? 2020?
    I’d ask how many times they expected people to buy the same game, but…

• TheMightyEthan says:

The engine was new for Unity, and two games in a row on the same engine is hardly odd.

• rabbit says:

“The engine was new for Unity”
        it was? oh…

“and two games in a row on the same engine is hardly odd.”
        true but i assume you know i didn’t know it was a new engine

when you say it was a new engine, was it a NEW engine or was it asscrudengine v1.2 as opposed to v1.1 which had been used for the previous thousand games? i ask because other than the gross (hopefully placeholder) red and yellow x ray vision of NPCs of interest thru walls it looks … like the exact same engine

28. ribby says:

Oh god the accents… And the torrent of stuff all screaming BRITAIN BRITAIN THIS IS BRITAIN!

• laser-gods says:

Cor, blimey! Shine ye shoes guvna! Apples ‘n pears! Etc. etc.

29. TheMightyEthan says:

So as a resident dumb American, I have a question: how else would one pronounce “borough”?

• thekelvingreen says:

It depends which part of the country you’re from, but it’s more or less “burruh”.

phuzz says:

Still, it was pretty close considering that it’s apparently impossible for someone in Ubisoft to pick up the phone and ask a British person how it’s pronounced.

30. GeorgeTheJournalist says:

A: “Boss, boss, I think I figured out why certain people didn’t like Assassin’s Creed’s way of not doing actual stealth!”
    B: “Bloody entitled pc gamers. It’s a game about assassins, of course it’s stealthy enough!”
    A: “Yeah. Well I think it was all because the player character WAS NOT CROUCHED.”
    B: “Excellent point Marty. Remind me to give you a raise. Throw that in the game, will you? And add a bunch of thick, bald butchers to every corner, I think I’ve read somewhere that there were tons of them in London at the time.”
    A: “Already on it, sir. I’ve also taken the liberty to add in white outlines to all enemies. I know how easily you get distracted.”
    B: “Marty, if I had a soul, I could kiss you.”
    <– *How I think it all went down. I might be wrong.*

31. Nootrac4571 says:

Ok so I’m not a big fan of these yearly franchise tentpole games, and I’ve only played a couple of AC games, neither of them to completion – but even given that, this looks unusually terrible. Nothing about that gameplay video made me want to play this game. Button-mash combat, pointlessly easy climbing, a stealth system which would have seemed simplistic in 1997 , hilariously crappy vehicle missions in which horses behave exactly like cars; it looks like a collection of under-developed game mechanics – which have all been done better elsewhere – cursorily strung together into the least-effort-possible videogame they could manage.

Seriously, if your game has street brawls, parkour, stealth missions, and vehicles all rolled up together, then you’re going up against Arkham Asylum, Prince of Persia, Thief, and GTA all at once. You could at least try to match one of them.

32. TobleroneRoloCombo says:

So, carriages will allow you to “take the reins and traverse the city faster than ever before.” Does this mean the free-running featured in the game is much slower? I can’t really imagine a carriage being faster at traversing the city than running across the rooftops of Venice in Assasin’s Creed II.

33. jrodman says:

I’m hoping all the cockney voices are done by North Americans, because I find that shit hilarious.

34. E_FD says:

I was just thinking “Nice, he’s wearing a hat instead of that stupid hood” when he puts on the hood. Humbug.

35. spiche says:

So it’s Gangs of New York: The Game, then?

36. ProApocalyptic says:

Wow, that costume is terrible, especially the coat.

I guess their usual “take clothing appropriate to the setting and then make it cool with Assassin stuff” approach doesn’t work when the setting’s men’s fashion is already pretty darn cool-looking to modern eyes . It really just highlight’s how ridiculous the assassin’s uniform is, like something from an “edgy” 90’s comic book.

37. racccoon says:

Looks ok
    The only thing I’m hating is the bullshit visions, the none exertion in running & climbing, Unrealistic npc’s, & the silhouetted targets!
    They need to give us/the player an imagination a logical theoretical approach to decision making, not a go cloaking to scan the area for red blimps this is the games flaw & the games dreary repetitiveness.
    Its not a player made game its made by robots who need to able to use a scanner to find their way about. Lame & Stupid!
    I say trash it all and make it real for gods sake try something with guts.

38. ffordesoon says:

Mercy me. I’m an American, and even I can tell those accents are awful. Like, they aren’t even good faux-Cockney accents.

Also, why do the Templars and Assassins have agents fighting a gang war? Even within the always-dumb-but-increasingly-unhinged fiction, that makes zero sense. I mean, yes, having eyes and ears at all levels of society is generally a pretty good idea for globe-spanning secret societies, but the whole point of secret societies is the “secret” bit, surely? Why in God’s name would a street gang leader called Bloody Nora know that she was a Templar fighting Assassins, let alone shout it in the London streets shortly after discharging a pistol? I can understand the Big Bad hiring her to stir up trouble in the London streets for Nefarious Ends that probably involve a visiting dignitary or something equally potboiler-y, but why would Big Bad tell her anything about his/her true plans, let alone initiate her into the Templar Order?

Frankly, there doesn’t seem to be anyone who isn’t a Templar or an Assassin in this thing. Don’t secret societies operate on a need-to-know basis? If so, why is it that a little Dickensian girl (presumably an orphan) is allowed to simply wander into a meeting of Assassins plotting murderous acts and essentially give them marching orders? They don’t even have doubts about the veracity of her information? They’ll just wander off and kill a bunch of guys on a nine-year-old’s say-so? Really?

Like, I am as big a fan of game-y contrivances as you’re likely to find, and I was still astonished at the lack of respect paid to the foundational premise of the series, let alone realism of any kind. Say what you will about Metal Gear, but at least its absurdity is intentional. This just feels lazy.

And good gravy, that combat. Yes, you could pretty much sleepwalk through the old combat, but at least it was passably entertaining to cut a swathe through mooks like Neo in Matrix Reloaded. This just looks weird and kind of irritating.

This last thing may seem like a nitpick, but it also drives me up the wall that the dude says you can take enemies out “silently” with throwing knives, and literally one second later, we hear the dude loudly yelp before he falls to the ground. That’s not silent! That’s not even quiet! It’s just a short loud sound instead of a long loud sound. But of course it works, because these henchmen (or, going by the rest of the trailer, fully briefed Templar members) are… hard of hearing, I guess? God, I hate it when games do this. It’s either silent or it isn’t, guys. If you must have them make a sound, at least have it be a quiet choking noise or quick puff of breath or something that doesn’t make me think I’m unfairly slaughtering the deaf.

I’m not one to hate on AAA just because it’s AAA, but man. This is strangely sloppy. Maybe it really is pre-alpha – though with Ubi’s recent track record and a fall release, I’m rather doubtful.

• Dorga says:

Worry not, they have a whole 5 MONTHS to make it better!

• Dawngreeter says:

While your criticism is valid, I don’t think it particularly applies to this installment specifically. It’s applicable to the whole series. You’re either fine with it or you’re not. And by that I don’t mean “shut your filthy mouth, heathen”, you’re absolutely entitled to voicing your irritation. I just mean that, surely, you’re either on board or you’re not with that whole pulpy cheap history-spanning, time traveling, alien induced conspiracy to which exactly three people on Earth do not belong. It’d be a bit silly to expect subtlety and nuance after discovering that goddamn Iroquois were in on BOTH conspiracies. Possibly since well before colonization started.

It has its charms. I enjoy the heck out of it. It’s not high literature or anything like that, it’s more akin to superhero comics (I mean, really, who makes all those tights?).

• ffordesoon says:

Oh, the inherent melodramatic goofiness of the premise might be the thing I like most about AC’s story, as a reader of superhero comics myself. It’s just that the writers always seem to ask themselves what the most uninteresting thing they could possibly do with that premise is, and then set about executing it in the dullest way possible. That the games surrounding the story bits are usually collections of loosely connected and wildly uneven minigames with an overworld and a checklist awkwardly stuck on top doesn’t help.

While I am aware that my complaint about the story applies to more than just this installment, they do at least pay lip service to the idea of keeping a low profile and not giving civilians the full story in the previous ACs I’ve played. Yes, you run around in your designer hoodie murdering hundreds of dudes and nobody seems to care for longer than five seconds (if they care at all), but that plays into the power fantasy. They don’t care, you rationalize, because I have Secret Knowledge. If everyone’s walking around shouting “OOO ARE YOU PART OF THE TEMPLAR CONSPIRACY THEN LUV” like it’s no big deal, then even that shaky rationalization is denied to us.

• Dawngreeter says:

I can agree with that. Writing isn’t a strong point in AC and what kills me sometimes is that it easily could be. So, even more like superhero comics, then. *sigh*

• ffordesoon says:

Addendum to previous:

Watching it again, it does strike me that the grappling hook is pretty cool, and something I wish they’d had in other ACs. I still wish it was in a better/more interesting-looking game, though. Like Shadow Of Mordor, which a friend and I call Assassin’s Creed But Actually Good. Hell, it’s already been in the Arkham games for ages, and those are better.

39. PampleMoose says:

Setting could be kind of fun. I’m at the point where I only play AC games purely for the setting now. Sounds like it could be worth an hour or two running around in, after the inevitable deep price cuts a few months after launch.

40. thekelvingreen says:

Also, no cyborgs in trench coats. Tsk.

41. Dawngreeter says:

Eh. I’m an AssCreed fan. Honestly can’t wait to play this, looks awesome.

42. Robmonster says:

I’ve only ever played AC2, and really rather enjoyed it. The free running was a delight. What other AC games should I try that don’t shy away from that too much?

basilisk says:

Probably not the original AC. It’s a peculiar game that never quite understood what it was doing.

Brotherhood is a slightly improved version of AC2, and worth giving a try. Revelations is mostly the same, but if you played the other two, it’s a bit tiring.

AC3 improves a lot about the basic formula (most notably the freerunning mechanics), but suffers from poor pacing and mission design, because everything in the game is subservient to the story. (Which remains the best in the series, if you care about these things.) This is also the game where the mechanics creep and general bloatiness gets really ridiculous. I like it, but it’s had a very mixed reception for a reason.

Black Flag is easily the best AC game since AC2 (and possibly the best AC ever). The core is very well polished and the sailing around added on top is very enjoyable. This is the one I’d pick if I were you.

Unity is two steps forward, two steps back. Not one I’d recommend unless you’re a fan. Quite similar to AC3 in this regard.

• Dawngreeter says:

I absolutely agree with all of the above, except I’d rank AC3 well below Unity. The bloat in AC3 is ridiculous. At some point you realize you’ve spent days hunting down animals in the forest and, while novel, that particular mechanic isn’t nearly fun enough to actually do it for so long. If you do play it, I’d advise not steering away from the main missions. Which is an advice I wouldn’t give about any of the other installments.

43. jezcentral says:

“Iconic” modes of transport. What, like a horse and cart?

Will someone please buy them a dictionary? They still haven’t worked out what it means, despite the whole WatchUnderscoreDogs farce.

Or are they just trolling us now?

• suibhne says:

N.B.: The narrator listed two or three different ways “horse and cart” could be used in-game, then breathlessly concluded, “The possibilities are endless!”

44. Folly Incorporated says:

This was the game I told them to make 5 games ago. this setting was built for this series. its a shame its gotten so far from its source before making it here

45. suibhne says:

It’s surprising to me how incredibly uninteresting this appears. I tend to enjoy Ubi’s take on the different AC settings – I even liked the setting and characters of AC3, which apparently makes me a semi-magical semi-unicorn – but god almighty the gameplay has gotten tired. This could not possibly look more like More Of The Same, right down to every single feature the gameplay narrator showcases as “new”.

I’d say the series desperately needs a lean reboot, but that’s not true. It makes money hand over fist. This is really about my needs – viz., to stop playing this series.