United: Another Studio Joins Tom Clancy’s The Division

Ooh! Did you hear that? Just now, carried on the wind. It sounded like… clearly scripted banter from an Ubisoft gameplay demonstration. We’ve barely heard from Tom Clancy’s The Division [official site] since its showing at E3 last year, and I’d half-wondered if it might be mired in development hell. It’d been delayed once before, and was awfully quiet for a game supposedly due this year.

Well, with E3 nearing (just over a month until I start drinking at my desk), Ubisoft have announced that another studio joined in to help out development. Ubisoft Annecy are the fourth lot working on The Division, and I’d wager they’re working on its unlockable, upgradeable persistent bases.

It’s standard Ubisoft practice to have multiple studios working on games, of course (they had ten on Assassin’s Creed Unity). Annecy are joining Red Storm Entertainment, Ubisoft Massive, and Ubisoft Reflections on The Division. I’m glad to hear rumbles of life from the game again, as I quite dig the sound of co-op tactical action-RPG-ish shooty shoots.

Ubisoft’s blog post announcing Annecy joining in makes heavy mention of the studio’s work on upgradeable base bits in the Assassin’s Creed series. They were behind Assassin’s Creed II’s Villa, and most recently AC Unity’s Café Théâtre. Given that building up a base and unlocking bits by completing quests is part of The Division, yeah, probably that. I’m a sucker for upgrading bases, wanting the coolest tree house, so that sounds good to me.

We still don’t have a release date, though Ubi said last last that it’d arrive in 2015. I suspect we’ll hear a lot more, and possibly a new release date, at E3 this June. Here’s E3 2014’s gameplay trailer again, bants and all:

1. gbrading says:

If it’s still slated for 2015 then it’s going to be November. Otherwise it’ll have to go to 2016. Depends on if we see it at the Ubisoft conference at E3. If we don’t it’s probably stuck in development hell. Evidently Ubisoft Massive didn’t add enough climbable broadcast towers to make Yves Guillemot happy.

2. golem09 says:

POSTAPOCALYPTICAL co-op tactical action-RPG-ish shooty shoots, please

3. Billzor says:

I missed this video first time around. Thanks for that.

Please please please let this be good.

4. Gibs says:

Hmm, I’m actually looking forward to this… hopefully it’s good.

5. BlueDragon says:

Omg modded Ghost Recon Phantoms. The FRESHNESS I feel.

6. DanMan says:

This doesn’t bode well. Prepare for another AssCreed disaster.

• Tacroy says:

Yeah, this reeks of “the project’s late, throw people at it until it’s on time” style mismanagement.

7. Lord_Mordja says:

The worst part about The Division is that Massive isn’t making a new Ground Control instead.

• Siimon says:

Oh GC were such cool games. I’d take another, especially with co-op campaign!

8. Rolento says:

If it is that good, im happy to wait TBH.

9. John O says:

So is this one going to look great when they release it, unlike underscore Dogs? Because it looks suspiciously neat.

10. Yokorose says:

Its nice to have another studio helping get it done but its not nice as the game been push back to 2016 because they want to push out another suckie lame assassin creed game . we all ready have 4 come out this year that are all about assassin creed an they all seem to be the same… wish they stop showing us game we are looking forward to 2 or 3 years before releasing them

11. Dux Ducis Hodiernus says:

Including another dev team probably means the game will be delayed by a few months. There’s actually even a book about this sort of thing. Quote: “adding manpower to a late software project makes it later”
    link to en.wikipedia.org

12. Stevostin says:

TPV shooter = no interest at all whatsoever. I hope some executive reads this and stop wasting money on this kind of non sense. TPV makes sense for squad based tactics, melee combats… and… that’s all. It sucks at immersion and it sucks at shooting.

• Siimon says:

I second the third person hate for a shooter.

• LuNatic says:

Yeah, this is the second biggest turn off for me. Y’know, after being published by Ubisoft and all.

• hungrycookpot says:

Total opposite here, the other half such as myself prefers third person, I find it more immersive being able to see my character’s body interact with the world instead of being stuck behind a viewport and limited to one and a half senses. Until we are able to build video games that can give you the tactile sensation of being in a place and feeling/sensing game objects and the world moving around you, I’ll prefer third person.

13. Person of Interest says:

It must be a bit of a bore for the folks at that studio to implement the same vertical slice of content for game after game. At least give them something interesting, like inventory management…

14. Bugamn says:

Based on alt-text, can we say it’s being published by Ubersoft?

15. MrFlakeOne says:

Gameplay demo looks great but since it’s Ubisoft I’m afraid it will look like Contra in the end.