Christopher Lloyd Rules New King’s Quest Voice Cast

I thought you said this was a Zelda game? Oh. That Zelda.

Christopher Lloyd will be voicing the old King Graham in the new King’s Quest game [official site], as revealed in the latest “Behind the scenes with the Odd Gentlemen” video. Which sounds a bit like one or two of my more regrettable experiences in the last few years.

The dev diary goes on show off the whole main cast, including Zelda Williams, Rex from Toy Story and the Ice King from Adventure Time. Oh, and some kid who thinks being in a video game is really cool because “instead of being in a movie like I’ve usually been in, I get to be in a game.” So that’s good.

This isn’t Lloyd’s first appearance in a videogame, however. In 1996 he starred in a fantastic point and click adventure called Toonstruck. It’s basically Who Framed Roger Rabbit which, come to think of it, Christopher Lloyd was also in… Huh.

Anyway, everything that The Odd Gentlemen are doing with King’s Quest looks spot on so far. Whisper it, but this could actually be a worthy successor to Sierra’s grand legacy. We’ll find out when the first episode drops this autumn.

In the meantime, check out the full video below to see and hear Christopher Lloyd, Zelda Williams and their chums in action.

1. Tuhalu says:

Christopher Lloyd was also in the passable Back to the Future: The Game adventure game by Telltale Games in 2010-2011. But I suppose we can’t make a funny comment about that, so not worth mentioning?

2. Philomelle says:

Josh Keaton! He’s still my favorite Spider-Man ever.

It’s very refreshing to hear Zelda Williams in a role other than Chinese Fantasy Hitler. I hope she sticks with voicing video games for a while.

• Darth Gangrel says:

In which thing was she Chinese Fantasy Hitler? I can’t find anything resembling that on her imdb page.

About Christopher Lloyd, he was awesome in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and fortunately I was old enough not to be affected by the nightmare fuel rich ending of that movie.

• Philomelle says:

She voiced Kuvira, the primary antagonist in the final season of Legend of Korra. Kuvira basically wants to restore her kingdom to the pinnacle of its glory, but she does so by bullying provinces into following her by refusing them military support and blocking their supply routes until they bend over, as well as evicting everyone of foreign heritage under threats of imprisonment and execution. Oh, and she establishes a fascist government by forcibly converting her nation into an empire with herself at the helm.

Kuvira also happens to be her biggest and most famous role.

• LionsPhil says:

He was fantastic as Professor Plum in Clue, too. And as Fester Addams.

3. Didero says:

Oh wow, I really don’t like that art style, for some reason. Maybe it’s because the characters look very different from the surroundings?

Also, this article made me remember I still have an old King’s Quest Collection box, with (the first?) 7 KQ games on them. Are they still worth playing, or are they too frustrating compared to modern games? I think I read something about it being easy to make game-ruining mistakes?

• snugglez says:

@Didero

You don’t like the art style because it is absolutely hideous. That’s why you don’t like it. Wait, maybe that’s me.

The old games are fun if you played them–as I did–when they came out. But yeah, KQ2 for sure had a real hum-dinger of a blocker, I can’t remember the others off the top of my head. I just played them a few years ago with a walkthrough handy. Usually the walkthroughs will list the game-breaking puzzles in the beginning so you can avoid those while not spoiling the rest of the game.

TBH, the sierra games were simply never as good as the lucasarts games, and they definitely haven’t aged well. Sierra basically were cutting edge technology, but didn’t have the fun writing and slick UI that lucasarts brought. I actually liked the old art style of the sierra games a lot, and it’s just sad that this game is so ugly. Though I have to say that the art style over at doublefine is just as horrible. It’s possible that I’m old.

• RuySan says:

Quest for Glory is probably the Sierra series that stood better the test of time. Most of their other games were full of sudden deaths, dead man walking scenarios and obtuse puzzles.

It’s better to play newer adventure games, from companies like Daedalic or Wadget Eye.

And for the record, i kind of like new King’s Quest art style.

• MazokuRanma says:

The first 3 games were remade in the style of V and VI, with I and II done by AGD Interactive, and III actually being remade by both AGD Interactive and Famous Adventures. II especially is a significant improvement on the original, fleshing out the story quite a bit. I’d say those are certainly worth playing, and I still love IV through VII as well, though there’s certainly some nostalgia assisting with that. Just remember, save early and safe often. These games came out before auto-save was common. Well, I through VI did. VII had a sort-of auto-save, wherein anything you did that resulted in death simply reverted you back to before you took that action. It’s a system that would have really benefited the others as sometimes it’s fun to intentionally do something you know is a bad idea to see the death scene.

basilisk says:

I haven’t played all of them, but the King’s Quests are pretty much the poster children of unfair and frustrating design. Copious dead ends, random deaths, completely illogical puzzles, these games have it all. Without extremely thick nostalgia glasses, I probably wouldn’t bother.

• HidingCat says:

Exactly. So much so when Lucasarts came up with their No-Frustration policy I never played any adventure games from Sierra.

• Jackablade says:

My main problem is how stiff the animation is. I think the odd character design could work if they sold it with some really energetic movement.

Andy_Panthro says:

I’d say you should play them! Especially since there are plenty of hints/walkthroughs available if you get stuck.

There are also free remakes of the first three games, in case the graphics are a stumbling block.
      KQ1-3, QFG2 = link to agdinteractive.com
      KQ3, SQ2 = link to infamous-adventures.com

I grew up with Sierra adventure games, and really enjoyed them. My favourites were always the Quest for Glory and Space Quest series.

Hodge says:

Wallace Shawn!

5. taintedeezo says:

I was frozen today.

6. LionsPhil says:

I would suggest:
    – Use ScummVM. It’ll give you less pain, better power efficiency on laptops, better sound for some of the old AGI games, and more save slots. You might need to use DOSBox to get the boxset to install the games and extract the files for you before you can point ScummVM at them, I can’t remember.
    – Use those save slots. Save early, save often, don’t overwrite saves.

Unfortunately King’s Quest did like creating unwinnable situations. The first one has a certain twee charm, though.

7. minkiii says:

That’s so cool Christopher Lloyd is in this project. He will always be the Pagemaster to me!

8. edwardh says:

Sierra still exists?! o_O
    I haven’t seen their logo in any game of interest to me in so many years that I figured they either went belly up or facebook-only (same thing, huh?) or something by now.