Funny, Huh? Life Is Strange Episode 3 Arrives Next Week

Life Is Strange [official site] is the first episodic game I’ve played actually episodically, getting in at the start and following along as new episodes come rather than in one lump at the end. (Half-Life 2 doesn’t count.) It’s quite fun this, isn’t it? I think the idea could catch on, you know. Like waiting for the next episode of a TV show, yeah?

Time-travelling teenager Max and her ragamuffin gal pal Chloe will return in Episode 3 of Dontnod’s adventure game next Tuesday, May 19th, publishers Square Enix have announced. Mild spoilers/teasers follow – like a TV listing, right?

The announcement offers a full version of this screenshot I cannily cropped to conceal a detail for folks wary of spoilers, along with this little tease:

“In the next installment of Life is Strange, Max & Chloe ramp up their investigation to find out what exactly is going on at Blackwell Academy and the whereabouts of Rachel Amber. Secrets will be uncovered and Max will find another use for her power!

“Here is a brand new screenshot which shows Max & Chloe attempting to break into the office of Principal Wells. What could they be looking for? What will they find?”

I’m enjoying Life Is Strange. It’s pretty fun teenage melodrama with a kick of mystery, a touch of the supernatural, and heaven help me I’m pining for the Pacific Northwest something fierce. I regret not swimming in the Pacific while I was there and not spending enough time out in the trees, so I’ll gladly revisit this virtual Oregon. It has some beautiful spots, and I enjoy the opportunities to sit down and reflect.

1. thedosbox says:

I enjoy the opportunities to sit down and reflect.

I wish more games would do this. It’s a great way to show off their environment design.

2. Herbal Space Program says:

Now I’m sure you’re a goddam naiad.

3. Orija says:

Is it one of those Gone Home/Dear Esther types, or does it have any actual gameplay?

• Alice O'Connor says:

Setting aside the can of worms you’ve cracked open and appear to be eagerly sniffing, it’s a Telltale-style adventure game with gentle puzzling and no QTEs.

4. aepervius says:

I can’t wait for all the episode to be present so that I can do all in one go.

5. shotgunwizard says:

My eyes saw H Life 3.

6. Booker says:

Can’t wait to play this. It’s been too long since the last episode. So eager to learn what’s going to happen next. :P

7. Splattercakez says:

As someone that got TWD & TWAU when they were complete, and thought TWDS2 was complete trash and didn’t care for the wait anyway, LiS is the first episodic series I’m actually having to wait between episodes in anticipation for and goodness, I don’t envy people who’ve done this for multiple series.

Here’s hoping Ep3 is less Diner scenes and more making good on the gradually building branches, given the ending for Ep2 left a lot of potential for at least two majorly different opens -and- the episode is fittingly titled ‘Chaos Theory’ now is the time if they’re really going to do anything shocking with the branching

8. Rivercliff says:

Excellent story & good comments. The one I blocked was a blatant advertisement.

9. Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

Actually it’s bad and I hate it.
    The game owns and I would much prefer to play it fully and at my own pace. The only one who wins from the current model is the publisher, who gets additional time to work on the game they’ve already collected money for, and 5 times the anticipation hype. We only get the constant blueballs.

• Booker says:

That would be a good argument, if you couldn’t wait until all eps are out and buy and play it then. But actually you can. It also protects you from the possibility that the game starts to suck at some point. No one who already bought the game knows which way the remaining episodes will go.

• Uninteresting Curse File Implement says:

I guess you could look at it as an opportunity for people to play sooner, than they could’ve otherwise, if the game would have been released in one piece. But getting it through drip feed is proving to be very annoying (Like Alice, I’ve never done it this way before.)