Crusader Kings II And More In Humble Paradox Bundle

Fine PC publisher Paradox have joined up with those Humble Bundleers to offer a pay-what-you-want bundle of- hey, haven’t we done this before? So we have! I think this latest Humble Paradox Bundle is better than the first, though.

As ever, you get a selection of games from a list including Crusader Kings II, Magicka, Knights of Pen & Paper, and Europa Universalis IV depending on how much you cough up.

Paying at least $1 (about 60p) will get you multiplayer murderfest War of the Roses: Kingmaker, wizard incompetency simulator Magicka with a few DLC packs, role-playing role-playing game Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition, grand strategy game Victoria II, and a daft playtpus robe to wear in the free-to-play Magicka: Wizard Wars.

Moving up, beating the average price ($5.07, or £3.25, as I write this) will get you all those plus WW2 grand strategy game Hearts of Iron III, so-so dungeon management game Impire, the wonderful medieval political sim-o-strategy-a-RPG Crusader Kings II with one DLC pack, a little music, and some mystery extra games that’ll be revealed next Tuesday.

Lastly, pay at least $15 (£9.50) and you’ll get all that plus empire-building strategy game Europa Universalis IV and its Conquest of Paradise expansion.

All games come for Windows as Steam keys, some are for Mac too, some for Linux, and Knights of Pen & Paper is for Android too. This bundle will be on sale for two weeks then vanish into memory, where it shall rest until, in the event of another Humble Paradox Bundle launching, we drag it out in another two years to poke at and judge.

1. Sakkura says:

The only problem with this bundle is that the games come mostly without expansions (and other DLC). Hearts of Iron 3 without expansions is an unplayable mess, and Crusader Kings 2 and Europa Universalis 4 are certainly much improved by their many expansions.

• Catchcart says:

My thoughts exactly. And not to doubt Paradox’ charitable intentions but I suspect that they’re aware of that too. In short, it’s a DLC racket trap. I talk from experience having bought all CK 2 DLC but for the music and Iberians, I think…

• All is Well says:

I don’t really agree on CKII and EUIV. Obviously the DLC improves the games but vanilla CKII and EUIV are still very good, especially at a $15 price point (which includes lots of other stuff).
      HOI3 on the other hand… the expansions are practically mandatory. If I remember correctly they even stopped patching the base game after the first expansion, and instead chose to only patch whatever expansion was the latest. I mean, I bought HOI3 on release and still had plenty fun, but they could have included Semper Fi at least.

• badmothergamer says:

I have to agree with All is Well. Vanilla CK2 and EUIV are incredibly enjoyable. In fact, I’d recommend new players start with vanilla before getting additional DLC to learn the basic mechanics.

2. Kohlrabi says:

You can regard this as an extended demo version of the game. You can test whether you like Paradox-style games for just a few dollars, and if you like waht you see you can invest some more, and support the publisher a bit more. It’s a win for all sides.

• BTAxis says:

I dunno, the combined DLC for EU4 comes out at nearly 100 euros. I don’t see myself spending that kind of cash on one game, no matter how fun it may be. I still got the bundle, but on the assumption that in the fullness of time I will be able to piece together the complete package at a fraction of that.

• Lagran says:

The DLCs for CK2 and EUIV frequently go on 75% discount sales, so that $100 is down to $25 with some patience (Current Lowest Price: $99.99 at Steam; Historical Lowest Price: $24.99 at Steam on Thu Feb 26 2015). Plus while the $100 DLC collection doesn’t contain all the main DLCs, it does contain a lot of the cosmetics. Buying only the main DLCs (including ones not in the collection) gets you down to $65, down to a little over $16 on a 75% sale.

• Stargazer86 says:

Well, not really ‘frequently’. I had to wait well over a year and a half for Wealth of Nations to go on sale. Pretty much the same for Art of War as well.

3. Commander Gun says:

If Crusader Kings (or EU for that matter) would be turn based game, i would probably sunk hundreds of hours in it. Somehow, i just feel chaotic if there is a timer running, even while i can set it on pause.

• Nasarius says:

I feel that way about RtwP RPGs and tactical games, but I think it’s actually necessary with a game like CK2. Sometimes you need to be micromanaging armies, and sometimes you want a few years to pass pretty quickly. You could make a turn-based game like CK2, but I think real time works better in this case for a simulation of day by day events.

4. SanguineAngel says:

Oh man, I remember that day that science proved Crusader Kings II was the best game that had ever been made. It’s like common knowledge now but can you remember when we /didn’t know/?

5. anHorse says:

So that’s why Sons of Abraham mysteriously wasn’t in the Paradox sale the humble store had a day or two ago

6. snv says:

Those games are turn-based. Each day is one turn. But since you usually have to wait several days until an event comes up you want to react to, it is a good thing those turns roll by automatically.
    This games also have the best autopause and event-filter customizability i have ever seen. I wish i could fine-tune Distant Worlds like that for example.

• snv says:

Another reply fail – this was meant to go under Commander Gun’s message.

This comment system still sucks, after all these years RPS us up. (Well, the button does say “Opinion, away!”)