Divided: Tom Clancy’s The Division Delayed Into 2016

Oh, for goodness’ sake! Only the other day I was wondering what had been going on with Tom Clancy’s The Division [official site], and whether the co-op- action-RPG shooter had been delayed or what. Ubisoft could’ve slipped in mention of a delay alongside the news that a fourth studio had joined development but no, no, they have to have their nice, clean, tidy ‘message’. And this way, old muggins here writes two stories about the game instead of one.

So here, look, The Division has been delayed from its unlikely-looking release window of 2015 into early 2016. You really are a rotter, Yann Ubisoft.

It’s now due some time from January to March, 2016. The dev team say in the announcement:

“All of us at Massive, Reflections, Red Storm Entertainment and Ubisoft Annecy want to ensure the game not only meets our high expectations but also those of our fans and players alike. We are proud of what we have achieved so far and can’t wait to show you more next month at E3!”

They need to time finish the game, in short. Which is fine. I’d (probably?) always rather wait for a game than play some crud rushed out. There are many fine video games to play until then. I’m going to stop writing this post before it descends into decreasingly-veiled unpleasant remarks about people who go on and on and on about Half-Life 3. (But really OH MY GOSH it’s not even funny as a joke any more what is with you people?)

1. jezcentral says:

Didn’t they announce this before your first article went up? (I’m unsure due to international timezones). I’m not knocking Alice specifically, but RPS is very tardy with its news posts. Often a couple of days late. I go to PCGamesN.com for news, because of this.

I’m still an RPS supporter because of the rest of the site, though.

• moocow says:

RPS wants to ensure its news coverage meets not only their high expectations but those of fans and readers alike.

• Lachlan1 says:

Careful they don’t delete your comment

• thedosbox says:

I don’t care enough to conduct an investigation into the timeline, but bear in mind that the time a story gets published by the CMS could be hours after it was written.

• thedosbox says:

And before anyone comments, “investigation into the timeline” was meant to be sarcasm.

2. BobbyDylan says:

RPS: Yesterdays news, Today!

3. GAmbrose says:

Probably working hard to visually downgrade the game in time for launch….

• anHorse says:

I’d rather take the visual downgrade than the unplayable mess Unity was when they didn’t try and optimise it in any way

4. kud13 says:

Will they spend that time to implement an offline single-player mode that would make me interested in their game?

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Probably not after they invested in all those dramatic co-op voice actor friends they feature in the trailers. (They are part of the game features right?)

5. derbefrier says:

The game looked promising hopefully it wont be another watchunderscoredogs

6. montorsi says:

This is one of the few titles I’m looking forward to so I’m glad they are taking the “get it right” rather than the “get it done” approach to game development.

7. genecrazy says:

I have a feeling they are figuring out what features to remove and further “optimizing” aka down grading the graphics.

• Sir Spankalot says:

Do you think they would downgrade the graphics just for pissing people off? If they have to optimize (which might include removing / turning down effects) they do it because the game stability / frame rate need it.

Isn’t an optimized game better than the alternative? If you had any knowledge of development, you would realize that when all parts of a game come together you might realize that things aren’t working the way you first thought.

8. igrad says:

From my limited experience with Tom Clancy games (GRAW and Rainbow Six Vegas 2 is all), they’ve never been under-delivered, nor have they been an experience I wouldn’t want to repeat. I, along with many others, would rather Ubisoft put out a finished, polished project rather than another Assassin’s Creed: Unity or MKX, especially when this title has so much potential. I wouldn’t hype it to be the next Bioshock or any such nonsense, but it could certainly beat GRAW… hopefully… please.

9. Strangeblades says:

Uses of goodness sake and muggins just reinforces my gentle stereotypical image of an English (Welsh? Scot?) person you all seem to be. You also all seem to be this one person, but with different names to represent the different personalities of RPS. Uh, viva Alice O’Connor!

• Grendael says:

I think they are mainly a UK orifice. There might be a USA fella kicking about in the back. Welsh might be the only nationality missing from their lineup. I think the rest of us people who live in this windy hell (UK) are represented.