“We’re experimenting with something that nobody’s done before” – Larian On Original Sin’s Enhanced Edition

Divinity Original Sin [official site] is one of the finest and most distinctive RPGs of recent years. That’s quite an accomplishment given the level of competition that exists at what is hopefully the dawn of a renaissance for the genre. When Larian told us that an Enhanced Edition of the game was coming later this year we spoke to Larian’s founder, Swen Vincke, to learn more about what exactly this massive overhaul entails.

Free to people who own the original release but also releasing as a new game on console, PC and Mac alike, it contains much more than visual polish. Quests have been rewritten, new side stories have been added, splitscreen co-op and controller support are in, and full voice acting has been recorded. We discuss all of that, as well as some of the smaller changes, along with some hints as to what’s next for Larian.

RPS: We only know the basics of what you’re announcing and that it involves a console version. But I hear that it’s more than that and therefore relevant to our interests!

Vincke: Yes. We’re doing the console version but it’s more than that – it’s called Divinity Original Sin: Enhanced Edition and it’s probably more enhanced than probably all the other enhanced editions you’ve ever played. We’ve gone a little bit overboard with what we’ve done.

It’ll be released as a new game, so Divinity: Original Sin as it was launched will still exist, and then there will be this new version. Everybody who has Original Sin will get the Enhanced Edition for free but there won’t be any compatibility between the two versions because, as I said, we went overboard. There’s a drastic rewrite of the story, with a lot of new story moments and a much more satisfactory ending, with big new things there. We fully voiced everything, which meant we had to touch up all of the dialogue. We’ve been recording since the end of December and we’re still recording.

And we added a lot of extra stuff in terms of new styles of playing, new modes, new quests that have been added, old ones modified. Anything we could find that was worth doing, we did it. There’s also everything that we did with the controller for the console version – that is supported on PC as well, which means you can now play on a couch with splitscreen, through Steam Big Picture for instance.

RPS: The fact that you can do this for free for PC owners presumably has something to do with how successful the game has been in its original form?

Vincke: Yeah, we’re nearly at a million players now. There were a lot of publishers that wanted to pay for the console version, which helps. But it’s a straightforward decision to give it away for free. We could have charged, given all that we’ve done, made it a DLC or something, but you know my stance on DLC. I’m not really crazy about that.

It made sense to do it this way. From an economic point of view, it does mean there’s a new reason to play Original Sin for new players, but people who have already played will be in for a treat when they go back. There’s a lot of extra stuff and a lot of it is different as well.

RPS: So you would say it’s worth going back to if I’ve already played the original for almost a hundred hours. I feel ready to go back but haven’t really had a reason.

Vincke: Yes, absolutely. There were things that were off in the original release and I don’t like having anything off in one of our releases. We could improve it, and therefore we should, and therefore we did.

There’s an image of the game as we pitched it back in 2011 that I think I showed to you, of people playing on a couch with a controller. We started trying out controller support once the game had been released and we’ve been working on all of this for a year with almost forty people.

The controller implementation was surprisingly smooth and the splitscreen worked also, so we decided we had to do the console version. And we figured if we were doing that, we should improve some of the other things and before you know it, we’re recording all of these voices and all of the rest. It’s a huge undertaking. The guy who organised the recording deserves a medal.

I was reviewing it the other day and it’s a really different experience. I think it’s much better than Original Sin.

RPS: When you say that you wanted to go back to fix the things you weren’t happy with – when we’ve spoken before you’ve mentioned that there were things you had to cut because of time and money. Is this now the game you wanted it to be?

Vincke: We always want more. I don’t think we’ll go back again. Maybe to fix whatever bugs are still in there or portability issues, but I’m quite content now. I finished right up to the ending and it felt complete. The holes that were there and that were visible have been closed. The middle part, which was one of the weaker parts I felt together with the ending – so basically two-thirds of the game (laughs). We are always very harsh about our own work.

We’ve done everything we can to make it more fun. The economy has been completely revamped. There’s a lot of stuff in there that you might not have noticed was missing but you feel its presence when you play it now. It goes to the very first encounter – that’s very different now and that’s a signal from the game to you, to tell you that somebody has been thinking about every detail and has consistently worked to improve them.

RPS: I know you can’t tell me exactly what else you’re working on just now but presumably it’s been quite a task balancing this Enhanced Edition and the rest of your workload? Does this reworking feed into the work on the next game in any way?

Vincke: It’s a bit of both. We have been postponing the new things because of the Enhanced Edition because as we got ourselves into it, we dedicated ourselves to finishing it off properly. It’s always more work than you expect, even when you’ve done it several times before. It’s always more.

But for us, strategically it was important because we now have an engine that as a basic feature runs on Xbox One, PS4, PC, Mac, Linux, SteamOS. It supports multiplayer and local co-op with splitscreen. Has mouse, keyboard and controller support, and has all of these RPG features. It’s a very cool thing to build on.

On page two, the CRPG landscape, pen and paper RPGs, nostalgia vs innovation and what comes next.

Harlander says:

This is interesting, and might lead to me trying the game again when it comes out.

I’m not too interested in voice acting, though. In this kind of game I end up reading the text anyway and skipping the voiced dialogue…

• pullthewires says:

Likewise on the voice acting. Always feel like it’s a bit of a waste because my understanding is that it’s not cheap but it seems like no-one I know cares about it, certainly not in a game like this.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Part of it might have something to do with whoever is helping funding the console version.

You know how it works in the big industry, some things are considered added value regardless of context or anything, it’s all down to sales prediction and analysts that don’t even play games in the first place.

I mean, sure, go with voice acting if you must, i hope it’s going to be good otherwise it might have a sour taste. I bet a lot of people would be happier if the budget was focused on other areas but hey, let’s not forget this is still positive news and we’re getting a big enhancement for free.

Scholars of the first sin indeed.

• Archonsod says:

Reading a bunch of text on a screen that’s a couple of feet away isn’t much fun.

• Cronstintein says:

That’s a good point. With the move to consoles/tv the voice acting becomes more important. I often skip it because it’s slower but there are rare exceptions like BG2 where I love the voice acting and will listen to it happily.

• Darth Gangrel says:

I’m the exact opposite, I love voice acting and will play the game over and over just to unlock all of it. It’s also one the reasons why I keep replaying games like KotOR and VtM: Bloodlines. They both have excellent voice acting and I never tire of hearing it. Perhaps that’s because I never played many non-voice acted games when I was younger. Now I almost shun games that don’t have voice acting, which may sound stupid, but I’ve got a stupidly large backlog, so I dont feel like I’m missing out and I can always play those games later.

• pullthewires says:

Most the games I played when young didn’t have voice overs, so maybe that’s a factor – they just don’t feel like a necessary component to me.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

That’s the thing, you mentioned some pretty good example. Let’s hope the voice acting is actually good at least.

• malkav11 says:

It’s also very limiting to the scope and rewritability of dialogue since you typically have access to the voice actors for only so long and at such and such point in development and the more you need them to voice the more it costs. Probably not such an issue here, since they’re just filling out VA on an existing game, but I hope it doesn’t spell a trend for future efforts. It’s not a worthwhile tradeoff for me.

• Zenicetus says:

That probably explains some of the odd gaps in Pillars of Eternity. Not just the optional dialog, but when there is a text-only gap in the middle of a dialog sequence that’s otherwise fully voiced. Apparently the writers had to add something to make things more clear to the player, or offer other branching choices to tighten up the quest, but the voice acting had already been done. That happens in several places in the game.

I’d rather not have voice acting at all in this type of game. Not just to streamline the development and avoid gaps like the ones mentioned above, but there is almost always some kind of accent clash. Like a mix of UK and American accents, or silly stereotypes like Scottish dwarves. It can be distracting.

• Kitsunin says:

I love voice acting in games which have a particularly heavy emphasis on characters: Anything Bioware and the Persona games, for instance, benefit greatly from it. When you’ve got lots of nondescript characters, I care a lot less. VAs never seem able to get into the character of Mr. Weird Butcher and his family Normal Wife and Shy Daughter enough to make the acting worth listening to.

• mr_barnacles says:

Agreed. In Fallout 3 and New Vegas, I started feeling bad about skipping so much dialogue (or, rather, doing dialogue like this: “Hello, my nam..[SKIP]…You’re from Vaul…[SKIP]…Good, take this to…[SKIP]). Then I realised that they gave me quick travel and all sorts of other time-savers in the game, and I didn’t have to waste time listening to some second-rate actor read their lines when I could read the text myself. Speech: muted. Good stuff!

2. brat-sampson says:

Sounds great! I made it to the end of the first act/map in the original, then stopped for some reason. I’ll definitely be giving this another go and very grateful for the freebieness!

• instantcoffe says:

For some reason, I also stopped and never went back after the first map.

• Vayra says:

Maybe that’s because of the narrative and the generally obtuse quest log? I had some initial difficulties and spent way too long on solving the murder mystery in Act 1. At some point you’d get the hang of how the game works and progresses, and suddenly progress is much faster.

There is another such point in the game, namely where the ‘forest’ is stopping you from passing through (you’re dying quickly if you do) somewhere around Act 3 I believe.

I also still have to get past that point, shelved the game and haven’t looked back since. Seems like EE is the place and time to do it all over again, and properly this time :)

• carewolf says:

I stopped somewhere in the second map, but I think I know why. I am waiting for the Linux edition. I just have too many other games, that I just play something else rather than bothering with rebooting into Windows. Of course if the story or gameplay had been a bit more captivating after the first act, I would have kept playing this over any other game.

• Zenicetus says:

That’s about where I stopped too, after clearing the first big area. The combat mechanics were fascinating and fun, which was enough to take me that far. But the storyline just wasn’t grabbing me. The characters in the party didn’t have much personality either. I just didn’t care about them, or the story, enough to plod through the rest of the game.

Pillars of Eternity was the reverse…. somewhat boring and repetitive combat, but the story and side quests were enough for me to finish it. (although I had to push myself right at the end).

Maybe the EE will address some of that, but I suspect there isn’t much they can do about the main story without a full re-write. I’ll still try it at some point.

Also, I have to say that hearing “multiplayer this” and “multiplayer that” in the interview is a bit off-putting to someone like me, who doesn’t give a rat’s ass about multiplayer gaming. You want to add that as a side feature to a singleplayer-focused game? That’s fine. But don’t tell me that multiplayer is “right at the core of the game” if you want to sell me on a title. That means you’ve spent developer resources on something I have zero interest in.

• Falsen says:

Yeah, I stopped pretty pretty much in the same place. I loved the combat but the story just didn’t grab me. I may take another shot at it since they are giving it to us for free.

3. Garou says:

I’m very impressed that they’re giving this to original owners for free. For some reason I found it hard to make any real progress in Original Sin, so I’ll definitely try again when this comes out.

4. ulix says:

I’m really hoping split-screen (coop) won’t be console exclusive, like in so many other games.

5. TheWhippetLord says:

Sometimes I just get the urge to give Larian a hug.

JiminyJickers says:

Haha, exactly. Definitely the good guys when it comes to developers as far as I’m concerned. Never had anything to complain about them.

Carra says:

They made my favourite game of last year even better? For free? Yay!

7. prof_yaffle says:

After reading this article and the email from Larian, I have two questions about the enhanced edition.
    1) They say that the enhanced edition is coming out on WIndows, OSX and Linux as well as consoles, but they only talk about the original version on Windows and OSX. So does that mean they’ve given up on porting the original edition and only the enhanced edition will be available on Linux?
    2) Will the Linux version of the enhanced edition come out at the same time as the other versions, or are we penguin lovers still going to be left waiting to play the game?

• DrMcCoy says:

1) Combined with their “update” on the Linux situation from March ( link to larian.com ), it does seem like they abandoned porting the standard edition, yes.

2) Personally, I expect there will be more delays -.-

keithzg says:

Well drat. On the other hand, I have enough games to play in my queue, so I’ll just continue to forget about it for now I guess.

8. AngoraFish says:

What I’d most like to hear answered is, since they’re going to leave me with two complete separate games in my Steam library, is there any particular reason why I would ever wish to load up the original once I have both versions to chose from? (I never got all that far into the original – too many games, too little time and all that.)

• mattevansc3 says:

Your save files may not be compatible and you may just prefer the way the original plays.

• malkav11 says:

Saves are definitely not compatible between the two, in point of fact.

• AngoraFish says:

Retaining two versions seems a fairly messy way of ensuring that the small number of people both half way through a game and disinclined to start again from scratch are catered for.

Steam is already set up for devs to run both a beta version and a stable version with a quick tweak of the Steam settings. Basically, what Dark Souls did not all that long ago for people looking to transfer their achievements from Windows Live, or Broken Age did to allow backers to play the game 24 hours early.

• PearlChoco says:

It’s not that easy. They say the engine got upgraded to require a DX11 class GPU, so they need to keep the original game accessible for DX9 GPU owners.

Deus Ex 3 Director’s Cut did the same btw.

• AngoraFish says:

It clearly is that easy. Two different versions is two different versions, and there are dozens of examples where it’s working just fine, DX or not.

And Deus Ex was a paid upgrade, not a freebie. There are two versions because not all existing owners were willing to pay to upgrade.

• Koshinator says:

There’s also the fact that the new version will be dx11 only, while the original still supports dx9.. Imagine the uproar if they replaced the dx9 compatible version with a dx11 only version.

• welverin says:

It’s requires a 64-bit system as well as DX11.

• ffordesoon says:

In answer, let me rewrite your question:

“Is there any reason why I’d want to go back to the original Star Wars films when I have the special editions?”

Makes a lot more sense when framed that way, doesn’t it?

9. aircool says:

Love this game and just picked it up again last night, although it took me two hours to work out what I was supposed to be doing; I’d just found the wizards house if-you-know-what-I-mean.

Looking forward to more of the same… and keep the turn based combat.

10. brulleks says:

Wait – does this mean we can just buy the previous, presumably cheaper, version and get the new one for free?

How are they going to monitor this?

11. Rao Dao Zao says:

Damn it, I only just bought the original edition. If I’d known, I would have held off… :(

• mattevansc3 says:

Why? You’ll get the new version free when its released.

• Vayra says:

What’s the problem? You probably bought original below the retail price, and Enhanced will be free for you.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

But I want my boxed copy to be complete, not half the game. ;_;

12. Rizlar says:

Oh my god yes.

Vincke: Yes, absolutely.

This is exactly how I feel! Booted it up again only this week to try and get into a second playthrough. It’s just nowhere near as fun when you know where everything is, even if bumping the difficulty up turns it into a hardcore puzzle game and there are two new companions.

Also the CE art book seems to show the larger part of one zone being cut, I wonder if they are re-implementing any of that stuff? And although the story could definitely be told better I think that the story itself is fantastic, should be interesting to see what happens with it. Huge excite!

13. ChairmanYang says:

I’m happy for D:OS’s success, and I wanted to love the game, but it really didn’t click with me. The combat and environmental interactivity were great; everything else was weak, particularly the story, characters, and worldbuilding.

But the Enhanced Edition might solve my issues–I’m looking forward to giving it a shot.

14. Philopoemen says:

I’m ashamed to say I’m more intrigued by the possible licence and who Sven was sitting with…

15. derbefrier says:

Sweet i have quite a few hour in this game but never managed to finish it. This will be a good reason to jump back into some co-op goodness.

FhnuZoag says:

I’ll give you one example in Original Sin. That rule that you should be able to kill everybody and still be able to finish the game is still very much a thing. I have to fight with designers all the time to keep it but it’s at the very core of how you make a multiplayer RPG the way we’re doing it. But that very rule means that freedom is present. You might not use that freedom, and 99% of players never will, but you know that you can. The fact that you know that makes you feel that your actions matter much more.

Am I the only one that dislikes developers’ belief in this rule? The idea that this rule is generically a good thing?

Imagine Tolkein declaring that Frodo could have murdered Smeagol and still won.
    Imagine LeGuin declaring there’s an equally valid ending where Ged kills his alter ego, then OHKOs Tenar and obtains phat lewt.

What developers are truly saying is that our game caters to sociopaths, that all of the NPCs in the game are simply disposable scenery objects. Far from making your actions matter, it means your actions don’t matter at all: saving the world is no different from saving a bloodsoaked wasteland.

• shimeril says:

I didn’t take it that way. I felt it meant if only a single member of the party is left you can try and battle through. Not intentionally kill them all yourself. You may be right though.

Harlander says:

It’s certainly in tension with any attempt to build a bespoke story

• Machinations says:

Disagree entirely. This gives the player agency. Its rare to see, because most devs would prefer to have the story they have cooked up, inevitably unoriginal and filled with tropes, force fed to the players. They take the ability to play a character, one with its own motivations, driven by whatever the players feel in response to ingame events, away, and make you play the characters the way they envisioned the story. In games where you make your own character, this makes no sense.

If you want sociopathy, see GTA V, with abhorrent characters you are forced to play in order to experience the story. There is little player agency, the story is on rails.

I applaud games like the original fallouts where this is a thing. Not fond of Lord British being invulnerable.

FhnuZoag says:

The sociopathy in GTA derives from the fact that in all GTA games, your primary interaction is committing crimes. GTAV’s narrative is merely consistent, taking into account the fact that in between any two cutscenes the player could walk around and massacre a ton of innocent bystanders without any consequence to the plot. That’s the problem, that in the majority of videogames you play a mass murderer, or at least a potential mass murderer.

How many stories can survive the protagonist committing massacres? How do you write a compelling plot where the key relationships use characters that might be dead? That’s why videogame plots are tropey and lack agency.

• Rizlar says:

Indeed, in the interview he talks about why that rule is valuable, how it opens up possibilities and gives actions meaning, enriching multiplayer and singleplayer. It’s definitely not ‘this rule is generically a good thing’.

• AngoraFish says:

The point is not to encourage sociopathy – clearly killing everyone is going to be a less satisfying game for most people, since it’ll lock off the vast majority of quest content. The point is to make the game feel, at least theoretically, like less of a choose your own adventure style interactive novel. And yeah, less like Tolkein, less like LeGuin, and more like FhnuZoag or AngoraFIsh.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, but Tolkien used a book as the medium, and the only thing you can do is read it. If he wanted to do something interactive the story would probably the different, something that can be approached in different ways.

Probably a better story anyway, since you might be able to kill that god damn cursed pigmy and the rest of the hobbits from the get go.

Books are good how they are, same goes for movies, but games can be many things. Sure, they could be like a book, or like a movie, who am i to stop them, but when you see those games trying to claim impossible feats of freedom for the player to shape the narrative, maybe they should approach their storytelling in a very different way rather than trying to be a wannabe failed book.

Why is it that sometimes the best story driven games are those with fixed characters? There are more tools to shape a powerful story, but that’s only because you’re not thinking enough outside of the box, you’re still trying to write a book. Skyrim lets you be anyone yet they forced the dragonborn down your throat. They don’t know how to be different or they simply don’t have the balls to aim for something grander.

17. Simbosan says:

I found the game a glacially slow reveal of an uninteresting story. Finished, but part of me sighed in relief

18. Lizergamid says:

Controller support? That’s interesting.

19. richlamp says:

These enhanced editions are definitely A Good Thing but as soon as I hear about them I feel like there’s no reason to continue with the current version. I actually stopped playing D:OS after 48 hours when the patch was released that introduced new party members because I would’ve needed to start a new game to be able to use them.

The same thing has happened with Wasteland 2 and Dead State. Should I hold off playing Pillars of Eternity too and wait for the inevitable definitive edition to be released?

teije says:

I would say yes to that question re Eternity, because that’s what I’m doing. Played enough to know I like it, and now will wait until the EE/DLC/all the patches come out.

Great news on Divinity – one of my favourites from last year, and I’m looking forward to this. A studio I have a lot of respect for and the shining example of how to deliver a Kickstarter properly.

• Zenicetus says:

I finished Pillars of Eternity recently (patch 1.04 version), and it seems pretty solid to me. The latest 1.05 patch tightens a few things up, but I wouldn’t expect anything to be massively improved in a GOTY version. The developers seem to be mainly focused on minor tweaks, and putting most of their effort into an upcoming expansion. Unless you want to wait for a lower price on sale, I’d say it’s safe to play now.

Mungrul says:

I’ve gone back to it recently while waiting for Witcher 3, and it’s still a lovely game.
    That chest you find in Cyseal behind a rope that your characters comment on not being able to step over?
    Yeah, I picked it up with telekinesis and dropped it without checking the destination and killed an NPC.
    Whoops.

I sincerely hope they’ve fixed the inventory system though. It’s painful to work with, with items of the same type not stacking, seemingly hundreds of different crafting components, non-resizable inventory windows, and a piss-poor recipe list that can’t be accessed at the same time as your inventory, pretty much necessitating having a crafting guide open in a browser in the background.
    I swear I spend more time sorting inventory than I do actually playing. And while I admire the thought of promoting experimentation for crafting, if you make something doing so, it doesn’t record that recipe anywhere for quick reproduction. This can be tedious when you’ve got hundreds of things to sort through in scrollable windows that constantly reset to the top.

In addition, the early game skill system is still a bit borked. There are plenty of things behind locked doors that just beg to be picked open. But any character that you dedicate to lock-picking at that level will be completely useless at anything else thanks to the amount of skillpoints you need to invest to make lock-picking work. As it stands, in the early game, lockpicking feels like a dump stat. Similarly things like telekinesis, which can shine in the late game and open up all sorts of interesting options, is dangerously expensive to invest in early on.

On top of this, rogue style characters require lots of skill points in lots of different skills to feel, well, rogue-like, but the skill system at low levels just doesn’t promote this, and rogues can end up feeling broken for a large part of the game.

Now I’m replaying, I simply use a character editor to override this, but should I really have to?

• Rizlar says:

They mention broadening the character system/what type of characters you can make, so hopefully this addresses some of those issues. My rogue character did feel a bit disappointing and limited compared to the warrior and mages, who just got more and more ridiculous as the game went on.

• Zenicetus says:

I only played partway through, but I remember thinking it was a game where certain character builds just weren’t viable.

I usually play Rogues in games like this, but I ended up with more of a ranger type. That build works very well in synergy with mages in the party, because the selection of magic arrows makes him basically another mage that can pick and choose different elemental-damage effects. Melee builds seem a bit gimped in this system, compared to mages. Which is okay, as long as the player understands the setup. But it isn’t easy to figure out on first exposure to the game.

gritz says:

The #1 problem is that as you level up, the points you spend on non-combat options come from the same pool used to make your character better at fighting. This hurts rogues the most, because things like pickpocket and lockpicking are useful in the overall game, but investing in them means crippling your combat effectiveness.

The #2 problem is that the enormous amount of lingering environmental effects can absolutely ruin melee characters. A fighter type character will probably have the HP and defenses to shrug off all of the poison and fire all over the place. A squishy rogue, though, gets screwed hard.

21. XhomeB says:

Wonderful that they’re giving it all for free!
    But about the NPC schedules and day & night cycles Sven mentioned towards the end of the interview – they’re not part of the Enhanced Edtion, are they? They were a Kickstrter StrechGoal…

22. Ranger33 says:

I’ve been meaning to play this and Wasteland 2 for a while now, but with each getting (free!) big-huge updates in the future I guess I’ll keep holding off.

23. horsemedic says:

Didn’t Larian once say EE was going to address combat balance? I wish the interview had gone into that, since the steamroll I ended up on by the end of map 1 made the nice combat system redundant, and made the game too boring to continue with before I finished map 2.

24. iucounu says:

DIvinity: Original Sin is better than Pillars of Eternity. There, I said it.

• Enkinan says:

It’s a toss up for me, Pillars art style isn’t so cartoonish and the writing is a bit better. D:OS combat and freedom is just fantastic and it has a good bit more humor. They should get together and make the king of all RPG’s.

• Zenicetus says:

Divinity wins on combat mechanics and use of the environment. Pillars wins on characterization and writing. Both games (and the following efforts) will be much better if they can address their respective deficiencies.

gritz says:

I honestly prefer Divinity’s writing. It doesn’t take itself so goddamn seriously.

10 minutes into Pillars, everyone you like has gotten killed and you make it to a depressing town full of tree corpses and dead babies. 10 minutes into Divinity, you’ve met a magical talking clam, debated about whether jumping to your death is reasonable, and may or may not fight some guardsmen who got drunk in the middle of the day.

• Zenicetus says:

Okay, you have a point there about the tone of the two games. There was some occasional funny banter between party members in PoE, but the overall tone was pretty grim. D:OS was more lighthearted overall, and there were some really funny bits like the clam.

But the party members still seemed like cardboard cut-outs, not fully fleshed characters. If I’m going to spend that many hours leading a party through various dungeons and hostile areas, I need to care about them. And that didn’t happen. Maybe it’s just me, but I felt that PoE did a better job of giving me a selection of party members I might care about.

• Hanban says:

I think most people would agree that the combat in D:OS is better. The story, writing and world building in D:OS is a bit shit, though.

• Jimbo says:

Divinity for me too, by a margin. The gameplay is actually enjoyable in its own right, which makes it a very rare thing in its genre. Granted the story is pretty bad, but it had enough dumb fun moments sprinkled throughout that I didn’t actively dislike it.

I put maybe 15-20 hours into Pillars and the story still hadn’t hooked me even a little bit. I didn’t feel like I or my character had any reason to care about anything that was happening. Also the combat started out dull and was still dull 15-20 hours in.

25. cpt_freakout says:

I really like these guys. I haven’t played D:OS even though it’s been installed in my hard drive since it came out (first in the way was Wasteland, then it was Pillars, now it’s gonna be Witcher) so in a way I’m glad I can now wait for the director’s cut version, though I don’t know if that’s necessarily good if I haven’t played the vanilla. Anyway, good interview!

26. vahnn says:

Hey, From Software. TAKE SOME FUCKING NOTES!

This is how you do it.

27. Siimon says:

co-op means I’m sold!

28. Enkinan says:

These guys are pretty awesome, I beat it the first time around and will definitely do a second go through for enhanced, hopefully co-op.

I can’t help but think: If you took the writing and less cartoony art of Pillars of Eternity and combined it with the engine and combat of Divinity: Original Sin you would get the best RPG ever made.

teije says:

The upcoming Torment RPG is the one I’ve built up into the “best RPG ever.” Vain hopes, probably, but a man can dream…

29. Caiman says:

This is great, although the only downside is that I’m playing the game at the moment, and I’m basically going to have to stop now and wait for the EE to arrive. The same thing has happened with Wasteland 2 – just about to get into it, Enhanced Edition is announced!

30. Frank says:

seriously, though, what happened to headlines sticking on one line?

31. MellowKrogoth says:

Haven’t played the game yet, here’s hoping they let us still play the original if the “enhanced” edition proves to be questionable. I’m starting to hate mandatory updates on Steam… rollback support please?

32. peh90504 says:

I make up to $90 an hour working from my home. My story is that I quit working at walmart to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $40h to $86h… Someone was good to me by sharing this link with me, so now i am hoping i could help someone else out there by sharing this link… Try it, you won’t regret it!……

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://w­­­­­­­­w­­­­­­­­w­­­­­­­­.Jobs-cash.­­­­­­­­C­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­m

33. Rolento says: