Massive Chalice Spills Out Of Early Access On June 1st

Anyone else picture a KFC Bargain Bucket whenever you hear the words Massive Chalice [official site]? No? Just me? To be fair, I think about KFC all the time so it’s possible there’s no causation there. Regardless, I’ve already planned to sit down with a massive chalice of chicken when I tuck in to the full release of Massive Chalice’s turn-based genetic tactics on June 1st.

Version 1.0 of Massive Chalice will include a bunch of new features, with an emphasis on polishing and bugfixing. Feedback has been taken on board and the mid- and late-games have been balanced, so that they are “more fun”. It will also have full controller support (with a dedicated controller UI) and achievements. If you haven’t already, make sure you see what Marsh thought of the game back in November.

Double Fine will be hosting a final Massive Chalice Twitch stream on launch day, in case you’d rather watch someone else play than do it yourself. Or you could watch the documentary series Massive Knowledge, produced by Two Player Productions, which promises to give insight into the team behind the game and their journey up the games industry ladder. There’s enough passive entertainment here to keep you from playing Massive Chalice for days, if necessary.

Now that Massive Chalice is out of the way, hopefully we’ll be hearing more about that Day of the Tentacle remake any day now. All I need is one screenshot to keep me ticking over. Come on Schafer, you know I’m good for it.

1. Crafter says:

With Massive Chalice, Broken Age and Grim Fandango out of the way, it looks like DF will soon have to announce their new projects.
    In the meantime, I can’t wait to see how MC will turn out, I had a lot of fun with the alphas.

2. trjp says:

I think this is the game which will get most of the backlash from the DF9 debacle – people are wary of DF – esp for Early Access projects…

If this turns-out well – I’m sure all will be forgiven – but if not, oh dear…

• Xocrates says:

Not sure I follow. I’m sure DF9 would make people more cautious into investing on another early access game, but this one has been on early access for quite some time, and as far as I know it’s been feature complete for some time as well – there’s not a huge “planned” roadmap associated with it.

• Crafter says:

It is not really the same model as DF-9.
      DF-9 planned to be fueled by some kind of ‘continuous early access’, like other sandboxes games before it (Prison Architect comes to mind).
      MC has been kickstarted in may 2013 and has been developed since that date, with the most recent alphas delivered through Early Access.

For what it is worth, I have played more than 50 hours to Massive Chalice. It is way more than what I thought I would invest in an alpha game and it looks like it will be a fun XCOM-like.

• bv728 says:

DF9 was mishandled – they had a big roadmap of what they wanted to do, but it never sold well enough for them to do that and they really could have made it clearer that this was a wish list, not an actual plan, and people were rightfully kind of upset about that.

Massive Chalice hasn’t been mishandled in that way – they set out a list of things they wanted to do, and they did them. They’re made sure what was being promised matched what they knew they would deliver.

They’re still late, but that’s not unusual for all projects. I didn’t back this due to concerns, but it looks like Brad Muir (and whomever he had doing project management, if he didn’t) can scope a title.

3. Dale Winton says:

I also think about KFC all the time

• Jem Alexander says:

We’re best friends now.

• HKEY_LOVECRAFT says:

I’m having KFC tonight. Mmmm, potato wedges. Dinner’s not for another five hours, though, so I’m only miming eating them. As you have not doubt surmised, I am unfulfilled.

I always thought the invention of the time machine would be to go back and right some wrong of the past, but now I can only think of fast-forwarding to my next meal. You know how they say you shouldn’t go food-shopping on an empty stomach? I suspect the same applies to building time travel.

4. eggy toast says:

If this turns out to be unimpressive (and honestly I think that’s most likely) I will be curious to see how many or few people sign up for the next Double Fine outing.

• Xocrates says:

This is such a bizarre thing to say regarding Double Fine.

Double FIne has always been a case of style over substance. There is not a single of their games that cannot be argued as “unimpressive” unless you’re completely on-board with the game’s concept and style.

Frankly, people like Double Fine because they’re different, not because they’re particularly good.

• grimdanfango says:

I would say it’s more a case that they’re particularly good… they’re just not particularly good at actually making games. They could really do with taking on some designing/coding talent to rival their creative talent.

That said, I’m still reserving judgement on Massive Chalice. Haven’t played it since a brief dabble in the earliest alpha release, so I’m interested to see how far they managed to take it since then.

• RuySan says:

I hate this “style over substance” nonsense.

Style is also substance

• grimdanfango says:

Agreed. “Visual fidelity over substance” would be a valid accusation against many games, but I’d say true style requires substance. Style is doing something incredibly well and consistently balanced, be it visual design or game mechanics, and at the same time making it look like it could never have been any other way, like it just naturally fell into place like that, rather than requiring months of exhaustive work.

• aliasi says:

Not a worry here. MC is really quite good, and I haven’t played it much only to keep the release experience fresh.

5. harley9699 says:

“Anyone else picture a KFC Bargain Bucket whenever you hear the words Massive Chalice…”

Knowing that Massive Chalice is by Double Fine, I immediately think Bargain Bucket for their games. Above was a conversation about DF9 being “mishandled”. Seems most of their games aren’t merely “visual fidelity over substance”, they are more ambition over substance. It will be very interesting to see how this game not only turns out once it hits the gen pop, but also how they take care of the new bugs/problems and the fixing of them—depending upon how well the game sells.

6. jrodman says:

“Massive Chalice” makes me think of the board game Clue.

7. Cronstintein says:

From the bits I’ve seen, the tactics part looked really shallow, turning me off. I really like what Brad is trying to do with the inheritance of family traits and the overall idea of the game but I feel the nuts and bolts of actually playing it is falling short. Hopefully it’s largely improved since I last looked at it and my concerns are unfounded.