Star Wars: Battlefront Will Have Fighter Squadron Mode

Whether in-engine or not, cinematic game trailers offer plenty of hints as to what you’ll be able to do in an approaching game. For example, we can assume that if speeders, fighter ships and Darth Vader are in the Star Wars: Battlefront trailer [official site], then the game will let us drive, fly or be those things.

And now there’s a little confirmation. The first real game footage of Battlefront will appear via E3 next month, and in a post on the Battlefront site, design director Niklas Fegraeus mentions a new mode called ‘Fighter Squadron’.

Fighter Squadron is the mode in which you’ll be piloting fighters as part of squadrons. Fegraeus explains:

For example, we have created new game modes and made new maps to cater to their specific experience. You could see a tiny snippet of this in our trailer where you saw the Fighter Squadron mode, where you engage in huge Starfighter battles over canyons big enough to be truly epic. Then, for those not in the mood for large scale battles, we have created Missions where players can, for example, take on armies of AI or test their piloting skills. All our Missions can be played either alone or cooperatively, making them perfect for some quick Star Wars action when you have a friend over.

For those of you playing marketing bingo at home, the post also uses “authentic, immersive experience”, ‘we do this for the fans’, “new generation”, “epic online battles” and more.

I am unclear on whether you’ll be able to seamlessly land those fighters, get out and run around on foot in typical Battlefield/front fashion, but I guess we’ll find out soon. The first footage of the game – the original reveal cinematic was in-engine, but notably not in-game – will be shown on June 15th, which is the day before the proper start of this year’s E3.

1. gunny1993 says:

I feel that people with ideas are going to be more dangerous to this game than anything, now, if my group of fiends is anything of a useful cohort, all we bloody want is to run around on iconic maps, get into both land and air vehicles and shoot the dirty rebellion/imperial/republic/CIS dogs.

And a single player story, fuck it, just copy the ones from #2, I don’t care.

• James says:

Well, no Clone Wars so a lot of that ain’t happening.

• Euphoric says:

Unfortunately they’re even making playing with a group of friends more difficult.

“Another thing missing from the standard DICE formula is squads. Instead, players will have a single partner—a sort of Chewie to your Han—who you’ll always be able spawn on. You can also share unlocks, thus giving yourself and your partner more loadout choices.” link to pcgamer.com

No squads etc., you run around with ONE other person…

2. derbefrier says:

Its also been confirmed we will be fighting star destroyers. Which was alledgedly confirmed in a Game Informer article( so the commen section of IGN tells me)

I have also heard that the in game graphics are close to what we saw from the trailer which was second hand info from. The gameplay footage they showed to a select lucky few at the Star Wars celebration.

I am daring toi let myself hope this game will be good.

3. Loyal_Viggo says:

Such a shame this is EA… fully expect death by a thousand DLC cuts… and shitty Origin only…

I grew up with SW, I love it, but by the Beard of Zeus I just can’t bring myself to support EA… maybe if Han Solo himself offered me a reacharound too but otherwise, no deal.

• aircool says:

I stopped buying EA games a few years ago, just out of god damned principle and their annoying as hell Origin thing. I can’t remember the exact reason I stopped buying them; probably lots of small reasons, but the last thing I got was a pre-order of BF3.

Ah, I remember now, it was Dead Space. It was a pain to get working and the control system was fucking dreadful. Mouse control was screwed, the screen extended below my monitor, regardless of resolution, it didn’t recognise half my keystrokes. Yeah, shitty, half-arsed console port was the final nail.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

OH sh1t, is this a console port?

So… EA, Origin, console port… not even the Han reacharound can tempt me now.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

Post Script to acknowledge my own reading comprehension fail…. unless this is a sh1tty console port?

Anyone?

• Bereil says:

It’s DICE; they’ve been pretty loyal to the PC in the past.

With that said, I share other peoples’ fear of the game having a ton of pay gates from a ton of DLC.

• aircool says:

Oh, and all that forum banhammer crap as well.

• Vin_Howard says:

For me, I found Origin an annoyance but not a major deal. What made be stop buying EA was their obvious focus on nickle-and-diming instead of content; and no matter how good the base game might be, all the cooperate bs (I feel EA deliberately designs their games to have short life-spans so they can get people to buy the next game) is something I can’t stand, especially compared to non-AAA games like Rising Storm/Red Orchestra 2 and Payday 2 that are actually designed to be -FUN-!

4. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

link to i.ytimg.com
    They so rarely feel bound to fulfill the promises they do make that I’m not really enthused to entertain the promises they don’t make.

The official confirmation is nice, though. I like spaceshoots, and I would like to see a good one in this.

5. Orija says:

It’s EA.

6. James says:

Thate statement is enough to get anyone very drunk.

7. dangermouse76 says:

Are there any – RPS’ers……Rponians….shot gunnians….. paperites ?

People who play Battlefront 2 via Gameranger. Would love to hook up.

Shoguns ! That’s it.

8. Simon_Scott says:

“All our Missions can be played either alone or cooperatively, making them perfect for some quick Star Wars action when you have a friend over.”

When you have a friend over?

9. w0bbl3r says:

This is the first, and only, bit of (slightly) good news I have heard about this game.
    Being from EA and dice is bad enough. Then they say no space battles. Then they say it’s been in development for years, but all they have shown so far is a very select snippet of “in-engine” footage that is very clearly just cutscenes.
    Then you factor in that it’s origin only.
    Then you find that not only is it dice, it’s been relegated to a smaller dice studio in some eastern european country or something (correct me on that, but I am sure it’s somewhere eastern europe though I could be wrong), so it hasn’t even been granted enough funds or interest from EA to warrant being developed by the big boys. If EA are interested in something, it comes out a horrible buggy clone of their previous games. I dread to think what this will be like, having little interest from EA.
    Then you find, only fairly small scale battles. Only 3 planets. No iron sights (not a deal breaker, but come on, it’s 2015 here). Pretty much none of the best stuff from the previous games, like galactic conquest, clone wars, or playable hero characters in standard MP matches.
    But now we have “fighter squadron mode”. Whoopee.
    Afraid that’s just not quite enough to get me interested yet.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

This. Also, does anyone know if its a PC port?

I’ve got a nasty feeling EA are focusing on the console hordes and this will be a terrible port.

jythanatos says:

Did no one else notice “When you have a friend over.”???
    Does that mean split-screen support?

11. triclops41 says:

Wasn’t two player split screen already confirmed?

jythanatos says:

I haven’t heard anything on it. But then again, I haven’t been following it that closely.

12. KwisatzHaderach says:

Split screen has been confirmed, BUT only for consoles, not for PC!

So the statement “when you have a friend over” goes out exclusively to console players. Nice touch that he didn’t even bother to clarify that…

• LuNatic says:

Eh, it’s EA. They always treat PC as second class citizens.

13. LuNatic says:

But does it have dynamic synergy? It has to have dynamic synergy!

14. snowgim says:

I still can’t shake the feeling that this is still Battlefield with a Star Wars skin, despite how many times they’ve denied it.
    Battlefront is Battlefield but with 100 AI fighting alongside you. But everytime they describe singleplayer or AI battles it seems to be ‘quick missions’ like the pointless co-op missions in BF3(BF4?), like it’s a separate thing to the big multiplayer battles. It shouldn’t be separate! Singleplayer, co-op, multiplayer, it should all be the same battles on the same maps for it to truly be Battlefront.
    I really hope I’m wrong, but this still just feels like Battlefield to me.

15. peh90504 says:

I make up to $90 an hour working from my home. My story is that I quit working at walmart to work online and with a little effort I easily bring in around $40h to $86h… Someone was good to me by sharing this link with me, so now i am hoping i could help someone else out there by sharing this link… Try it, you won’t regret it!……

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://w­­­­­­­­w­­­­­­­­w­­­­­­­­.Jobs-cash.­­­­­­­­C­­­­­­­­o­­­­­­­­m