The Games That Got Away

Pathologic

Maybe it’s just a symptom of getting old, but increasingly I want to revisit games I feel I could yet get more out of far more than I want to play something new. I’ve got these two awful tendencies: one is to run away from something if it’s too demanding, and another is to be so preoccupied with collecting or unlocking everything that I don’t stop and smell the flowers. I deny myself appreciation for and insight about some games because I’m too worried that I’m missing out on some infinitely more ephemeral aspect of them, like whatever’s behind that door or what that high-level spell does. So these are just a few of the games I want to play again, in an impossible world where I had the time to.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution

Partly this is just seeing trailers for the new game and wanting it now-now-now, but partly it’s because I feel there’s unfinished business. I played DXHR non-lethally bar a couple of accidents, and of course bar the bosses, as this was pre-director’s cut. But I’d like to go further and see how non-violently I can play it. Conversely, I’d also like to play it absolutely, horrifyingly lethally, as to this day I still don’t really know how the elbow swords work and there were a bunch of augs I never even used. Most of all though, in my time with the game I was so preoccupied with getting into every door and earning every point that I didn’t really stop to take it all in, appreciate its world-building or consider the issues it raised. If I can play again without my greed hat on, I feel as though I’d get a whole lot more out of it.

The Mass Effect series

Now we’re – mostly – past outrage about endings and secret faces and all that business, I’d love to spend a few long weekends delving into Mass Effect without any pressure to reach a destination. Just enjoying the space operatic excess of it all, doing odd jobs across the galaxy. Not to mention that I was never nasty first time around, missed a bunch of side-quests and there are something like a dozen people I’ve never got sweaty with.

Football Manager

One of my greatest regrets on RPS is being too swamped with other games to get far with the chronicles of Ian Football. I don’t have a particularly strong love of football – primarily because I’ve never had a team to call my own – but I’ve always hugely enjoyed football management games whenever I’ve played them. The grand strategising, the tension, the slow growth and improvement of my team, the certain knowledge that I know best even the evidence to the contrary mounts endlessly. What stops me is a fear that to do it properly essentially entails a second career. In another life, I will spend most of my time playing Football Manager.

XCOM: The Long War

Another time-devourer, this enormously ambitious and frighteningly hardcore campaign mod for XCOM was something I earnestly wanted to lose myself to, but its length and ferocity put paid to that. Now several major updates down the line it’s a significantly different prospect to last time I looked at it too. I’m well aware it’s out there, I’m well aware that it expands XCOM massively, I’m well aware it could take over my life, and for that reason I’m steering clear.

DayZ and/or Rust

Elite: Dangerous

Another ‘second career’ game, I know that to really play Elite means abandoning any sense that it’s a choose your own adventure singleplayer affair and accepting its brutal MMO nature. There’s also a hell of a lot of learning and cartography to be done. I’m averse to none of that – indeed, I’m sure it’s ultimately far more rewarding than the quicker, short-term thrills of the stuff I do play – but I know that half-measures wouldn’t get me far at all.

The Hobbit (Spectrum) / Hitchhiker’s Guide To The Galaxy (BBC Micro)

Landmark text adventures I played at the time, but remember nothing of now and thus have little to say about them. Why were they so acclaimed? Do they still deserve it? Is Hitchhiker’s actually funny to a cynical 36-year-old? How many living world tricks does The Hobbit have up its sleeve really?

Pathologic

I played about an hour then bounced right off it, because I’m lazy and because I’m a coward. Quinns’ remarkable series proves that without a doubt I have to play this properly, I have to give myself to it utterly, and from that maybe I shall learn to strive harder and have a thicker skin in games.

World of Warcraft

WoW lost its magic for me when it became a game about having the right equipment and about repeating and refining the same experiences over and over. But several expansions have come and gone since last I played it, and maybe, just maybe, going in late, without expectations or pressure to keep up with the Joneses, there’s a chance it could, for a while, become a game about exploration and experimentation again. Some of my fondest gaming memories are invisi-sneaking through high level areas I wasn’t supposed to be in, miraculous escapes from certain death situations, or simply ending up with a colour-coordinated outfit. For as long as there’s any chance at all that WoW could be a playground again, there will always be a temptation to go back.

Dwarf Fortress

Due to the aforementioned reasons of laziness and cowardice, I didn’t make it too far. Given my love of Dungeon Keeper, it’s crazy that I’m not magnetically drawn to something which gives me that at vastly greater scope and scale, with far more meaning and variety attached to every dungeon denizen. One day, I’ll make time. And, sadly enough, that day will probably be when I see a UI and graphics mod that smooths off all the sharp edges for me.

Daikatana

I’ve never played all of it. I want to play all of it. Just to see. Just to really, truly see.

And you? What are your ones that got away?

1. Rise / Run says:

Hitchhiker’s guide holds up well. Might I suggest the BBCs online version: link to bbc.co.uk

The books themselves hold up well because they are actually about how shitty it is to be an adult and have responsibility (I cite my wife for this insight). The game borrowed liberally enough from the books that it also is pretty good.

• AngoraFish says:

FWIW, I can’t see the books ever not being funny. There’s very little in there that would date them quickly, such as references to texting, faxes, l33t-speak and twerking. On the other hand, irrational bureaucracy, sociopathic mega conglomerates, chronically depressed AIs, towels, egotistical celebrities and failing to pick up women will always be relevant to the modern human condition.

• Cvnk says:

I fully intend to re-read those books every 5 or so years for the rest of my life. I even have the fancy hardcover edition that combines all of the books (plus the Zaphod short story) in one convenient volume.

2. Astroclassicist says:

All the adventure games, Monkey Island, Grim Fandango, Day of the Tentacle and so on. All passed me by, but at some point I’ll fix that. I hope.

Arnvidr says:

Yes. They’re starting to appear on GOG, and I hope to start this soon!

• PancakeWizard says:

The Monkey Islands and Grim have both had a lick of paint are available ‘new’ again on all the usual platforms. A good a time as any to give them a go.

• LionsPhil says:

The Monkey remakes are awful, though.

• PancakeWizard says:

Isn’t it the exact same game with fast-switching between the new graphics and original?

• ansionnach says:

Ah, but the originals are much better since you can leave them on your hard drive eternally without feeling the need to free up the few megabytes they take up. All the Lucasarts games that came out on floppy disks are best played with the voices off. Perhaps Loom was the best of the early talkies but its CD version has a few deficiencies, the most annoying of which is the lag when you play any notes. This is even the case in ScummVM and DOSBox and I think it’s due to the game using Red Book audio for all music and sound.

3. Oakreef says:

Pathologic too. I’ve only gotten through one of the three stories. Various text adventures. I always get frustrated and give up on them eventually. I’ve taken to using GameFAQs quicker than I used to though as I just realised when I spent days stuck on something in a game I tend not actually feel satisfied when I finally figure it out. It’s usually more “glad I’m finally done with that nonsense” than “yes I have finally got it!”

• caff says:

Me three. Got about 4 hours in and then decided the drudge of walking was a bit too much for a person as time-starved as I am. I would dip in and out, but having backed the remake on kickstarter I think I’ll wait for that instead.

• Oakreef says:

That should be be adventure games in general, not text adventures. Not sure where the word text got into that sentence from.

• povu says:

Same here, I intend to play the upcoming remake for sure.

• A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

Pathologic is possibly the best game ever, everyone should play it. Hope the remake irons out all the creases and earns it the audience it deserves.

• malkav11 says:

The handy thing about wanting to revisit Pathologic is that the remake will provide a perfect excuse to do so, what with being a “brand new release” and all. Assuming, as always, that they release it. Never guaranteed with game development or Kickstarter either one.

• lokimotive says:

I was actually pleasantly surprised with how relatively smoothly their Kickstarter of Knock-Knock went. I’m not sure, it might’ve been a bit delayed, but they seemed to have a pretty clear understanding of what they wanted to do and how they wanted to do it (even if they backer emails were entirely cryptic). I’m pretty confident that Pathologic will probably come out in a fairly painless process. Their ambitions seem measured, and the projected release date was, like, two years after the end of the campaign (and they had been doing some work on the game for awhile, particularly the translation). Again, their backer emails are cryptic, and not entirely informative some of the time, but their fun and they are clearly dedicated to getting the project done.

• malkav11 says:

Almost all of the Kickstarters I’ve backed have either fulfilled or appear to be making real headway. So I’m not worried about the Pathologic remake’s chances, really. You just can’t ever 100% guarantee something that’s not out yet will get there.

• NonCavemanDan says:

Pathologic is one of those games where I want to give a copy to 2 of my friends and then play through it concurrently as each of the different characters.

4. Dilapinated says:

DotA2:

I want to. I really do. But no friends who play, and ohgod that initial ramp of sheer bulk of learning. I’m gonna wait for HotS, when at least most people will be in the same boat.

Shogun 2:

When I first got this, my screen was too tiny and the fontsizing too obnoxious for me to read any of the text. Now I have a larger screen, I just feel it sitting there, staring at me accusingly from my steam folder. We could have been something, you and I.

Crusader Kings 2:

I should love this game. I want to love this game. But the learning curve and amount of effort required to get over the combination of new-to-me mechanics and dense UI has so far rebuffed my attempts.

• Akbar says:

I think a lot of people feel overly intimidated by Crusader Kings 2, the game itself is, in my opinion, much easier to learn than a lot of other strategy games out there, it just creates the illusion of difficulty for various reasons.

1. You don’t have to know everything when you start
      I think many people give up on Crusader Kings 2 because they try to teach themselves every aspect of the game. If you know about marriage, inheritance, and the very basics of diplomacy and warfare, then all you have to do is fill your council with the #1 suggestion.

2. Although not everything is intuitive, you can figure things out to a good enough degree by yourself.
      You don’t want to leave your council idling. Hover over each icon and get an idea of what it does. Pick one that sounds useful, using the wiki to help you extensively. You learn through mistakes. If your a king and you give someone else a kingdom they’ll be independent. You might be confused, google it, and find your vassals must be of lower rank than you. A lot of these ideas seem weird and alien now, but as you play you get a good sense, and for the most part this is a single player game, so theirs no pressure to have a good first run or not to cheat/savescum when your first playing.
      3. Trust the notifications.
      These are easily the most helpful thing to a new player. When there’s an icon that says “Ruler unmarried: you should get married”, listen to it and get married. When there’s an icon that says “Dangerous factions are gathering in your country” see if you can do something about these factions. Google is your friend, and CK2 is orders of magnitudes away from, say, Dwarf Fortress.
      4. Waiting is part of the game
      I think people start to panic when the game is running and they aren’t doing anything. They tend to second guess everything, do things for the sake of doing things, and quit the game thinking they’re rubbish. Don’t be one of these people.

• AngoraFish says:

You lost me at using the wiki to help you extensively.

• EsKa says:

You don’t need the wiki to play or enjoy the game, but you’ll likely need it to master it. You don’t need to know all its mechanics to play CK2, the same way you don’t need to know the DPS of every weapon in a FPS to enjoy it,

• malkav11 says:

The issue I had wasn’t struggling to grasp all the mechanics at once (the basics are pretty straightforward, the rest you can figure out as you go), but the complete lack of direction. I spent about an hour just staring at my fiefdom trying to figure out goals to shoot for and ultimately quit.

• EsKa says:

Then I may have a few good suggestions :)

Use history as a goal. A general good “new player” starting point is to start as England when the Scotts are still independent and Ireland is split between multiple small warring factions. Conquer them, it shouldn’t be extremely difficult but it’s a good ‘tutorial’ in warfare/diplo. Then you can mess with the french, or choose weaker targets.

A favorite of mine is to start as the Byzantine empire and rebuild the roman empire before the clock runs out. The difficulty level depends on your starting date. Keeping the empire together in once piece is the tricky part.

People often advise to play as a small province/region first, I kinda disagree. Yes if it’s only to get around the UI, but certainly not for a full game. I don’t say that the “diplo/assassinate your way into becoming the king” isn’t an interesting way to play the game. It’s just a very passive way to showcase the diplomacy, blinding, killing and castrating part of the game to a new player.

You’ll do the same as a king/emperor anyway, but at least you can occupy yourself with other matters (eat the small, divide the big) when you’re waiting 10 years for your marry/murder conspiracy to conclude. Mechanics are basically the same. You have more people to keep happy, sure, but more options too. The council, the diplo, the way you handle your family/vassals or armies are the same

5. Cochise779 says:

I spend vastly too much time thinking about this same thing. Definitely the Fallouts to me – if I could just freeze time for a week and do nothing but iterate on Fallout adventures I probably would.

And returning to WoW holds the same appeal – I think time has worn away most of the frustrations and left me with that cleaner memory of what I enjoyed.

I did actually redo the Mass Effects in the last year and it was totally worth it (playing Renegade for the first time, too). It’s a game where the *space* roses really ought to be smelled.

• malkav11 says:

The game itself has also eliminated many of those frustrations. Some people found that was part of what they enjoyed, but personally I think it’s much better than it was back in 2004. Like, leaps and bounds.

6. OctoStepdad says:

“DayZ and/or Rust

The reason I don’t look in on these much is less to do with time, and more to do with not having a steady group of chums who play it. These are games I want to play in a hooting gaggle, helping each other out in a hostile world and snorting at each other’s misfortunes. It’s the only way to play the end of the world. Of course, I could setup or join a group, but I’d almost certainly end up flaking after a few sessions, and then they’d hate me.”

I am right there with you on these. I have a couple buddies I play GTA & CS with and I want to play DayZ/Rust. But I know they will never buy it so I won’t either. I would highly recommend watching some of the twitch streams though. Especially the Idle Thumbs crew “The Least Dangerous Game”

I am just waiting for H1Z1 to become f2p so there is no barrier of entry.

particlese says:

The lovely graphics in that Daikatana screenshot lead me to respond with “Anachronox”. I feel like I played through it a decade or so ago thanks to the “The Movie” movie, but I only ever played the first hour or so once I finally got my hands on the game itself. I still haven’t seen what the combat is really like, but I know I want that story again, never mind the “cliffhanger” at the end. (Although I would love to watch the characters interact over breakfast, it was less a cliffhanger to me and more an open-ended ending I can roll with.)

8. Wowbagger says:

Is there a link to Quinn’s Pathologic playthrough anywhere?

9. Lacessit says:

Awww, Ian Football… Now I’m all sad. He really quit way too soon.

10. kud13 says:

I have a list. I’ve missed out on incredible amount of gaming in the past decade, because I started Uni in 2005 and was reduced to laptop gaming for about 8 years.

Arcanum-this one I’ve tried several times, but it’d either not click, or it’d crash, and then I’d be meaning to go back but never did

Anachronox-same reason, really. I could never get past the following mission, and then I did but it crashed before I could save…

Medieval II-total war. I played this + Kingdoms quite a bit, but then I ended up losing my saves. Been meaning to go back and re-create my epic Welsh campaign, check out the other 4 campaigns, and also some of the mods.

Morrowind–I… tried this once, and I was just not in the right frame of mind to get properly stuck in at the time. I mean to get back to it, and then play Fallout 3 and New Vegas (not planning to play other TES games as of right now).

Likewise, “Boiling Point”–like S.T.A.L.K.E.R, it’s a Ukrainian dev, meaning it’s a must play @ some point, but just never got the time for it.

Hitman games- I played the original to the 2nd or 3rd last level, but could never beat it. I dropped SA after the Russian section. I will go back, once I figure out how to make the original play nice with 8 cores.

GTA3-for all I loved GTA2, the first 3d game didn’t strike me as much. Had much to do with my PC at the time struggling hard with it. I may play the trilogy at some point, then move on to Saints Row and the 2 Dogs games.

Pathologic-no, I never have. I should. I will, once the kickstarted HD edition is mine.

Thiefs + Arkane games- I made my way through the first 2. I want to play all 3 + the 2 Arkane games before playing Dishonored.

… and when all is said and done, i’ll probably spend the next year Witchering…

• Ross Angus says:

I started, but abandoned, Boiling Point. But for silly reasons. I knew that picking one faction would mean I would fall out with the others. And I wanted ALL THE FRIENDS.

• Jip says:

If you’re going to get back in to Morrowind, I would suggest installing Morrowind Overhaul, Morrowind Rebirth and Tamriel Rebuilt. The overhaul updates sound & graphics and fixes a lot of things and patches in a lot of gameplay improvements. Rebirth adds so many things to make the world feel more alive including new areas, expanded cities etc. Tamriel Rebuilt is a WIP adding the mainland around Vvardenfel.

There are some vids on YT on how to install these together. It’s quite straight forward.

11. akstro says:

Like the first Dragon Age but the last two have passed me by. Would also like to delve into Path of Exile and Elite while they are still fresh but Witcher 3 is going to unlock in 4 days and I still haven’t Iorveth’s side of Witcher 2. There’s also the X games, KOTOR games, Civ V, Crusader Kings 2, Just Cause 2, and Thief 2 & 3. And sooo manyyyy I have forgotten in the darkest depths of Steam :(

12. aoanla says:

I have to say, I don’t really understand the desire to replay “moral choice” games like DX:HR while taking the opposite choices to the ones you wanted to the first time.
    I mean, I know, ‘roleplaying’, but the reason I play nonviolent stealthy nice guy in those games is because I don’t want to be a sociopathic dick if I get a choice.

Kinda contradicting this: my own choices are all games I played when I was younger, and ended up cheating through because I’m basically terrible at them. I’ve played them since, without cheats, but never actually managed to complete any of them (because I’m still terrible at them, and have even less time to spend getting good at them nowadays). So, basically, Doom, Quake, Deus Ex, Unreal… (but not UT or Quake 3, both of which I actually did beat all by myself).

Still on the FPS side, I’ve never gotten around to playing through the very-important-but-localised-to-Macs-and-therefore-unfairly-left-out-of-Alec’s-Top-100 Marathon series. I got 50% of the way through the first one, in Aleph-One of course, but then got stuck in some confusing lift puzzle and forgot to continue after a while…

I’d also quite like to actually play Myst again, having bounced completely off it the first time.

13. MrNash says:

The amount of older games that I want to play is enormous. I don’t even care if it’s clunky and dated by today’s standards, there’s still lots of content I would like to experience. Darklands, Longest Journey, Lord of the Realms and a bunch more are on my to-do list at the moment.

It strikes me that many tend to leave old games in the past and always focus on the present, though, which seems a bit strange. I guess it’s one thing to be current on what’s happening in gaming, but you don’t see this anywhere near as much in other creative mediums. I only recently read The Mayor of Casterbridge and quite liked it, saw My Dinner with Andre 30 years after the fact and thought it was pretty good. If I applied that logic from games to literature and film, I’d never have experienced those, and that would be unfortunate.

Granted, I would be hard pressed to find an old game that would seem appropriate to hoist onto the same pedestal as either of those. Nonetheless, it seems a bit of a shame that when it comes to games, there seems to be a bit more of a clear line drawn between the old and the new. =\

• MartinWisse says:

Yeah, but even with novels and movies you’re problably in the minority when it comes for prefering older works over newer ones and both have a much larger critical apparatus behind them promoting “the classics”.

And even then there are plenty of people who have problems watching old movies because the film style is so different from what they’re used to.

14. Eery Petrol says:

“[The day I’ll make time for Dwarf Fortress] will probably be when I see a UI and graphics mod that smooths off all the sharp edges for me.”

How about the mod your colleague Graham Smith wrote about on this website last year in his article ‘Control Dwarf Fortress With Isometric Graphics And Mouse’?

15. jezcentral says:

Why do I not remember writing this article, and why is Alec Meers’ name attached to it?

Other than that, I part myself on the back for such a good article.

16. A Gentleman and a Taffer says:

For me its the Looking Glass games, all 3 Thiefs and System Shock 2 are all played but never finished here. Been replaying Thief:TDP lately but its so long! They don’t make em like they used to.

17. welverin says:

Ultima 8, by god I want to cast Armageddon to see what happen. I was saving money to do so when I played it way back when, but a glitch ate all of my gold and I wasn’t able to do so then.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution Director’s Cut, so I can see what’s different from the original version I played through multiple times (this is an exceedingly rare thing for me).

Other stuff I’m not thinking of at the moment.

18. Distec says:

Banner Saga is the first in my mind. I remember thinking it was exactly what I wanted, then I purchased and played it for a few hours. End of story. I didn’t bounce off it entirely like I did with Wasteland 2 (which shocked the hell out of me), but I also remember feeling weighed down by the density of the text, the “cold open” approach it took to introducing characters and situations, and a few moments of paralysis where I was too concerned with getting a “good” outcome in every scenario rather than rather than playing naturally. Endless Legend is another recent one. I think I got so used to Civ and found Legends’ UI to be really ugly. Couldn’t play more than a few sessions before abandoning it. I know there’s plenty more.

The hell of it is that I’m pretty sure I will find games I enjoy in both these titles, if I can just get past the initial stumbles. I think a part of it had to do with my own work/life balance; after stressing out an adult job for the whole day, I found I only had the energy for reruns of the familiar titles or games I could just pick up and play. There were a lot of nights where my decisions boiled down to:

A) Learn a game I want to play and hopefully enjoy for a few hours.
    B) Launch Planetside 2 and shoot sci-fi faces.

19. Behrditz says:

You can always play Gnomoria as a DF-lite to ease yourself into the hardcore craziness. Its got graphics and a UI you can use a mouse with. Doesnt have as many features, or an adventure mode, but its something.

20. klo3 says:

The S.T.A.L.K.E.R series w mods, preferably the one that makes it/them (is it for all of them) harder.

Also Pathologic and The Void, both of which I only played a couple of hours. Probably not The Void. Should I play The Void?

21. caff says:

I think to love WoW, you have to love your character and most importantly feel some connection to the world.

I love my dwarf warrior and his beard, but the game itself doesn’t have enough pull to keep me there. I’ll play expansions and say the occasional hello to former guildmates, but it’s purely from a curiosity perspective.

• jrodman says:

Really? I think the exploration is the best experience, but the only draw with longevity is the teamwork experience/struggle, IMO.

• icemann says:

If your more interested in the solo-ing experience then the current expansion is MUCH better than Pandaria.

That said it doesn’t hold a candle to Wrath of the Lich King. And not just on that front either. The upcoming 6.2 patch is of interest. Only thing that’s kept me playing.

Beyond that it’s just doing the same thing over and over again for months. Boring.

22. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Dark Earth. 90’s post-apocalyptic adventure game, 3D Resident-Evil style view and tank controls. I have tried it once, it was next to impossible to get running on a modern PC. I bought it when it came out and lost it in a move, only to find it years later.

23. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

Oh, forgot one other – Meat Puppet. 90s? Crusader: No Remorse clone with goth futurist overtones. It was, apparently, terrible. The original release was impossible due to a time limit on levels. This was removed in a patch. The game won’t play for me since initial release. It dislikes modern sound cards. I know it’s terrible, but I want to see all the Gigeresque stuff in it. It’s so terrible it has easter eggs where they airbrushed out people from a picture of the developers and wrote NEVER AGAIN on their faces.

• horrorgasm says:

I feel your pain. That’s one of the few old games I can never get running no matter what I try. I keep telling myself someday I’m going to set up a virtual win95 to try it out on, but I never quite get around to it. Still have the game sitting there though. Someday…

24. Frank says:

Still haven’t finished Krondor or Jagged Alliance 2 (despite playing both for many hours), so those top my list. I’ll wait for Pathologic redux (backed on kickstarter), myself. Only played the original very briefly.

25. Philopoemen says:

KOTOR2::TSLRCM – I recently finished KOTOR1 on tablet , and realised I’ve played KOTOR2, and finished it (Light and dark), but shelved it due to way it was rushed out.

Trying a “Grey Jedi” run through of TSLRCM atm, and realising that despite Kreia’s urging to be neutral, the engine is not really set up for it. So more roleplay is required, and I have to bite my thumb when I take the less efficient route, the completionist in me balking.

Also trying to gain influence with NPCs I never have, just to see their stories. The restored content helps, but I think it’s my most favourite play through yet – abandoning the metagame for the roleplay.

26. cpt_freakout says:

Oh man, so many. Do revisit XCOM Long War – I’ve been wanting to do that too for a while now, but well, there’s just too much stuff to play. Of the newer ones that I’d love to get into (but I know in my heart I’ll whore myself to Witcher 3 for the coming months): Divinity OS, Alien Isolation, Dragon Age 3, Broken Age, Banished, the second and later episodes of Kentucky Route Zero… the list could go on, but those are off the top of my head. Of the not-so-recent and the classics (also off the top of my head): FEAR, the entirety of the Hitman series, Fallout New Vegas, the Darksiders series, Little Big Adventure; I also feel guilty I never did finish Thief 2, System Shock 2, Jagged Alliance 2, and a few of the Lucasarts adventure games, which I loved and yet could never finish because I would forget what was going on after a couple weeks of not playing (I have acute birdbrainitis).

27. Ejia says:

I’m doing the older shooter thing right now, actually. Red Faction and Deus Ex are on the list. Eventually I’m going to want to get Oni and Shogo: Mobile Armor Division, but unfortunately only the latter is available on GoG.

I would like to revisit both The Witcher and Dragon Age: Origins in order to get some of the other storylines and then play them through to their most recent installments, but I’m the “poke around and take 150 hours to finish things” kind and I can’t seem to find that time anymore.

28. Jalan says:

Granted, when it comes to story this game really… lacks a coherent one (or one at all, to be honest) and compared to a lot of titles mentioned is probably one that most wouldn’t give a second thought to but damn if I don’t want to fully finish it one day – AaAaAA!!! – A Reckless Disregard for Gravity (no, I’m not talking about the Owlchemy Labs re-do, I’m talking about Dejobaan’s original).

I’ve unlocked all the level cubes (and the non-level level cubes – you know the ones, where the humor is in the spotlight) and have nearly 5 starred all of them save a select handful (and I’m not counting the Brutal Concussion levels here – my blood pressure just can’t take me shouting at the top of my lungs repeatedly as I fail to get the second level unlocked in that set) and despite repeated attempts across multiple YEARS, I still haven’t finished them. I’ve got two lingering achievements remaining to unlock on that game (the one for 5 stars on all levels and the one for making 4,000+ jumps or so – the latter which would be nice to have any kind of running counter for, to track progress and yet sadly Ichiro and co. opted not to grace us lowly players with one) and I tell myself with each passing new year that “now is the time I’m gonna get this thing finished” only to find that I get discouraged when I hit 4 stars more times than not, seeing 5 stars just out of my grasp on many of the levels I need that 5 star rating on. It becomes a vicious cycle, drawing me back in even though I know better.

29. Chaoslord AJ says:

I tried with Deus Ex HR but the beginning part is just to long also there’s a bug in one mission in my playthrough.
    The same with Mass Effect, ME1 is just too long so I just used the genesis tool.
    Dwarf Fortress is also a candidate but really long and complicated.
    Should play more modded minecraft.
    But in fact it’s not so much the games that got away that concern me…

30. CookPassBabtridge says:

Deus Ex HR is my big one. I played quite a lot of it and remember enjoying the pretty open format, and yeah – doing all the collect-em-all type stuff and perfect stealth run through attempts. I know I got to the “Soho in the Sky” part, I just never finished it and cannot remember why. One thing I really did not like were the NPC models, which seemed like rubber mannequins and broke a lot of the sensation of it being a real world. I wonder if anyone ever modded those for PC? IIRC DEHR was notoriously hard to mod.

31. jarowdowsky says:

A Mind Forever Voyaging

32. statistx says:

I want to continue pathologic too, but I also want ot wait for the remake first.

33. MartinWisse says:

I’ve played ME and ME2 and am now slowly doing the ultra completist run through again so that I can finally tackle ME3. Got up to Football Manageresque playing hours on both.

Apart from that I’d stopped gaming in about 2000, came back in 2012 and am still playing through everything I missed inbetween, which is not going well…

34. ansionnach says:

A few games I want to play (no order). Unless otherwise stated, they all fall into the “tricked around with them ages ago, need to make the commitment” category.

A Mind Forever Voyaging
    Trinity
    The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy
    Realms of the Haunting
    The Last Express

Ultima V (have a save game somewhere imported from Ultima IV after I played Ultimas I – IV back to back).

Ultima VI (hate the interface but this is supposed to be a good one – the last using the classic system before U7 failed to handle real-time combat very well and so wrote magic for other characters out of the plot).

Savage Empire
    Martian Dreams

35. bill says:

Ones I want to try, that I haven’t really:
    – Lords of Midnight (maybe on android/tablet)
    – Daikatana (I bought a bundle for this, but haven’t had time. The demo was pants years ago though)/
    – Darklands (I have this, and love the first part, but haven’t gotten around to playing it for a decent length of time)
    – Outcast (Again, I have this and have played the first part, but haven’t gotten around to playing it for a decent length of time)
    – Planescape Torment (Again, I have this and have played the first part, but haven’t gotten around to playing it for a decent length of time)
    – Ultima Underworld (Again, I have this and have played the first part, but haven’t gotten around to playing it for a decent length of time)

So, mainly class RPGs that take a lot of investment to get over the initial hump… but which I feel I should have played.
    Ones I want to go back to:
    – Morrowind. Always have the urge.
    – Tie Fighter (and x-wing etc… GOG getting the better versions is tempting me)
    A few others, but generally the temptation isn’t that strong.

• bill says:

Oh, but I have been getting urges to go back and play Half Life and Half Life 2 based on Black Mesa and also on wondering if they are as good now as I remember.

36. cornelius_ says:

Let’s see…

K.O.T.O.R.: Every time I’ve tried to play it the graphics get murky and makes the game unplayable. Haven’t found a fix for this.
    Morrowind: I got into it for a while and then started losing interest, or just left it unfinished like I do with some many other games (not like someone actually cares a lot about “finishing” Morrowid, but, you know what I mean.
    Fallout 2: My savefiles got corrupted RIGHT BEFORE the end, which was a pain in the ass and I wasn’t going to start from scratch right at that moment. I think it’s time already.
    Deus Ex: Same thing with Morrowind, I just left it unfinished, I know, I’m a monster.
    X-Com/Xenonauts: I really need a bit more patience to play these right, but I really want to.
    Planescape: I just played for a couple of hours and forgot about it. I think that the chances of getting an updated version now are slim, so I might as well play it as it is (the graphics were never the problem and the interface it’s great)
    The Batman: Arkham games: playing them on a keyboard just didn’t feel right. I really need a gamepad (same thing with Miami Hotline)
    Alpha Centauri.
    And I really want to get into one of those massive RTS games with hundreds of units and stuff, maybe one of the Total War series.