Witcher 3 CGI Trailer Is Unrepentantly Witchery

not quite staring eyes

In an ideal world I’d be reviewing The Witcher 3 [official site] for RPS (not that we got code at the same time as consoleland, waah waah what a cold and hostile universe this is), but now I’m a beleaguered dad I barely have time for morning ablutions, let alone 100-200 hours of stabbing and sexing. All being well, I will start a relaxed-of-pace diary series about the earlier chunks of the CPD’s humungo-RPG next week, however. I’m looking forward to it, given the broadly rapturous reception. Just a few days now; the hype-cannon has fired off this ultro-flashy CGI trailer as a near-climactic volley.

It’s very impressive in a whole lot of ways – I’d watch a whole movie looking like this quite happily – but it includes both the dark’n’strange strengths of Witcher games and the unrepentantly laddish mindset which brings ongoing criticism to their door.

It’s all very epic and everything, and I do like the spooky singing implying that Witchers are to be as feared as they are admired, but in the name of not being quite so unreconstructed, couldn’t they at least make Geralt take his trousers off too so everyone gets to leer at something?

Nice to see the traditionally dorkly RPG trope of potion-quaffing depicted in this way though, demonstrating both their importance to Witcher combat and that they can be kind of cool when they do something to the character outside of adjusting health meters. I can’t think of many cutscenes with flasks in.

The Witcher 3 is due for release on Monday. Here are the various times it’ll unlock, depending on where you live.

1. BobbyDylan says:

Nipple?

2. Shiloh says:

Ripple?

3. opasnimiki says:

Damn these times! Last time I had to buy new PC so I could play Witcher 2. It looks like now I will have to do same for Witcher 3 or at least get new GPU. :(

Well I guess I won’t be playing this on launch.

• OmNomNom says:

You do realise this wasn’t gameplay footage?

• yonsito says:

In some countries you get the game thrown in for free if you buy certain nvidia gpus. If you intend to buy the game it’s not a bad deal.

4. Stevostin says:

“couldn’t they at least make Geralt take his trousers off too so everyone gets to leer at something? ”

Yeah yeah. In GTA V we see a penis but not the female equivalent. I don’t think I read a complaint here.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Color me unsurprised.

• Orija says:

At least we now know where Alec’s inclination lies.

• BlueDragon says:

[youtube link to youtube.com

• jack4cc says:

I bet it’s not going to take long for someone to count the appearance of nipple vs penises after release, because we all know, the only way to make a game good is to balance those two perfectly.

• Grim_22 says:

When nipple/penis ratio starts to become a valid point of criticism, I think I’ll just go back to non-interactive media.

5. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

“couldn’t they at least make Geralt take his trousers off too so everyone gets to leer at something?”

Can’t it just be that her combat form is nude to, i don’t know, help with invisibility? Besides, she’s pretty horrible when se actually needs to fight and i would understand her if she preferred to just seduce someone with the “pretty form”.

Geralt on the other end almost died so he probably wants to stay dressed.

Harlander says:

That’s right, in real life invisibility doesn’t work on your clothes.

Wait.

• Chalky says:

Well you can’t say that isn’t true!

• BobbyDylan says:

I’ve never seen invisibility work with cloths on.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

You’re right, i didn’t notice she used some hi-tech cloacking device from the future, it has a decent radius so i don’t see why she needed to remove the clothes.

Hah, vampires and their silly need for attention.

• Fluka says:

Weellll…given that both Triss and Yen have been shown magicking their bras and/or entire outfits away, I’d say clothes-cloaking tech is less “far future” and more “very much in-universe lore.” Albeit only used for Sexy Times With Sexy Ladies ™. IT MUST ALWAYS BE SEXY.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Hah, but they don’t make it invisible, they make it go away!

• Jackablade says:

Or maybe they don’t – that could be the real reason sorceresses can’t get pregnant.

• Be_reasonable says:

If you read the books, this kind of one-sided display with the nudity fits well enough, whether or not you think it’s fair.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

Uh… who are CPD? Do you mean CDPR, perhaps?

I love cinematic trailers, I watch them even for games I have interest in playing because they’re often oh so, you know, cinematic. Also, because I’m less picky on what I watch than what I play, which I think depends on the medium of film versus games. Bad movies can be fun to watch, but games made in the same fashion wouldn’t be as fun to play.

7. Horg says:

Every day that I am reminded it’s not May the 19th is a bad day.

8. melnificent says:

Any chance of the final Cities Skylines diary before you start the new one?

9. Infinitron says:

The Witcher 1 and 2 intros had flasks.

Harlander says:

I liked the way the flasks in 1 and 2 seemed to be tiny things that’d hold about a thimbleful of stuff.

10. baozi says:

Watching this made me a bit uncomfortable

11. Dr_Barnowl says:

The trailer really captures one of the things I liked most about Witcher games, when they were playing well – that careful preparation is required in conjunction with skill.

You feel like a badass when you select exactly the right set of potions and other gear to help your fight, as opposed to just finding some rat hunting quests to level you up a bit first. Like the dragon at the end of Witcher 2 – if you had the talents that boosted potion effects and selected the right combo of fire resistance effects, when the dragon bathed you in flames…. it topped up your health like receiving a nice warm bath at a spa.

• Chalky says:

This trailer is really well done, can’t wait till May 19th.

Hey RPS, do you guys have a review copy for this? I’ve noticed a few reviews coming out already and I’m looking forward to your WIT.

• Chalky says:

(I would totally edit this reply after re-reading the start of this article if we peasants were permitted such features)

12. Askis says:

As someone who isn’t too well versed in the Witcher lore, can anyone identify what kind of creature this is supposed to be?
    Might be a Bruxa (Vampires who can make themselves look like beautiful women to seduce their prey), but thinking back on Witcher 1+2, those couldn’t turn invisible or move at super speed and Witchers didn’t really have any problems with accepting contracts for them…

• Grim_22 says:

Considering the fact that she mentions that “in the old days Witchers would never accept a contract on her kind no matter the pay”, I’d say she’s a Higher Vampire. There’s no real classification for them, unlike the lower ones, and they’re some of the most dangerous beings in the lore. Hence Geralts near suicidal tactic of actually poisoning his blood and wanting her to bite him – guessing he knew he wasn’t going to win in a clean fight.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aye, plus i remember a previous trailer in which a vampire was pretty much called a vampire, the funny one who told Geralt to fuck off after being awakened ahead of time.

• Grim_22 says:

Yeah – I really hope that Vampire turns out to be Regis, my favorite character from the books. Wouldn’t bet on it, though…

• HothMonster says:

Oh I had forgot about Regis, now I’m sad. How cool would that have been for a temporary playable character.

• suibhne says:

Didn’t Regis pop up briefly in one of the previous games? Either way, this clearly isn’t Regis, but I hope he has a role to play somewhere in the game. With this being Geralt’s valedictory lap, I wouldn’t be surprised for CDPR to put in a host of previously un-/underused characters.

• Jackablade says:

He’s certainly mentioned a couple of times during the first game. I don’t remember him making a cameo appearance, but it has been quite a while.

• HothMonster says:

Ummm, unless I am mis-remembering, which is very possible, don’t the events of the final book make it extremely unlikely for him to appear in the games?

• kament says:

Well, they did retcon some events concerning appearance of that wanker in glasses in the first game, so technically… But yeah, I don’t really expect to meet Regis either. Would be nice, though.

• Grim_22 says:

You’re absolutely correct, HothMonster – that’s why I doubt we’ll be seeing him. But he does mention a time when a lynch mob cut off his limbs and his head, and he eventually survived that, so… here’s hoping.

• Razumen says:

If the game holds the events in the books to be canon, I doubt we’ll see Regis, though it would be nice

• Synesthesia says:

Noice. Makes sense with the whole seduction thing, too.

• notenome says:

This is tangential to your question, but you reminded me of a couple things.

Firstly, from this and other preview materials, Geralt seems to be getting sadder and sadder about killing magical beings, as it seems there aren’t many left in the world.

Secondly, way back in the first Witcher, Geralt and Zoltan have a discussion in a tavern which to me is central to the entire Witcher series. The underlying theme is the (somewhat cliché) ‘man is the real monster’, but the kicker is that since Geralt is a Witcher, and Witcher’s exist to hunt monsters, to a certain degree Geralt feels obsolete in this world. Out of place, and to a certain degree, useless.

• Grim_22 says:

I agree with you about the fact that it’s an overarching theme. Reinforcing this belief in Geralt is the fact that Witchers were recently nearly hunted to extinction by angry, rattled mobs. There are barely any left in the world, and no one really knows how to stimulate the mutations to create new ones any longer. The oldest surviving Witcher, Vesimir, was just the sword instructor before the attack on Kaer Morhen – sadly, he doesn’t have the neccessary knowledge to continue their traditions for future generations.

My point being this – they’re not only obsolete, they’re dying out.

• Underwhelmed says:

From the very first game, Geralt always reminded me of a grizzled samurai from an Akira Kurosawa film. The world of the Witcher resembles the one in the Seven Samurai (among others) in that like Witchers, Samurai have outlived their usefulness and are left wandering the land masterless, and without purpose.

• Razumen says:

Another central them is that evil is no longer disorganized and wild, so while Witchers were meant to fight evil in the form of wild monsters and creatures, this form of evil is fading away in light of more organized and less obvious representations.

• tabyrd32 says:

actually, i’m pretty sure she’s a wraith. The song she is singing: “Wolves asleep amidst the trees, bats all swaying in the breeze. But one souls lies anxious wide awake, fearing all manner of ghouls, hags, and wraiths.”

• Jackablade says:

She’s not all that consistent with the wraiths in other parts of the lore. She has a physical body and is a bit too sane. Plus there’s the whole blood drinking thing.

13. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

By the way, you guys totally want to head to Gamersyde for the 1.35gb turbo-quality torrent of this trailer, it’s well worth it.

14. MattMk1 says:

There are many things I love about CDProjekt, but in the context of this article, it’s the fact that while their games changed a great deal for the better since the “Witcher 1” days of collectible boobies, they still show absolutely no sign of giving a damn about silly complaints like the one on display here.

• kael13 says:

You have chairs in your household!?
      In our house, Nathaniel sits on a spike.
      I sit on Nathaniel.
      Two spikes would be an extravagance. I will suffer comfort this once; we shall just have to stick forks in our legs between courses!

15. Kefren says:

One thing I’m not clear on – is this IN the game, or something external to it? For example, a popular trailer for W2 was the opening cinematic of the attack on the boat. Is this the opening cinematic for W3 (i.e. in the game)?

• Grim_22 says:

External, I’d guess. The cinematic from TW2 you’re referring to was actually not added to the game until the enhanced edition, after CDPR got complaints that the story was hard to follow in the early hours of the game. It served a very specific purpose, while this one seems to be of a more promotional nature, I’d say.

• Jackablade says:

Would have been cool if they’d remade another sequence from the books like they did with the opening of the first game.

• Grim_22 says:

Agreed, I would’ve loved to see Ciri’s training i Kaer Morhen or her and Geralts first meeting in Brookilon in such a well done trailer.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

This feels like a trailer for a quest you might end up doing, she seems to mention someone that might be the one who send you after her, and that might be important.

16. woodsey says:

I don’t know if a hint of nipple constitutes unrepentant laddishness.

Bar a couple of missteps, The Witcher 2 is about the only mainstream game that gets sex scenes right, both in terms of narrative and aesthetic.

17. ribby says:

“but it includes both the dark’n’strange strengths of Witcher games and the unrepentantly laddish mindset which brings ongoing criticism to their door.”

What on earth is that supposed to mean? I don’t think anyone is looking at this and going phwoar look at the naked scary women, look at her boobs…

• ribby says:

And even if they were before she turned into a monster… Why are you so keen to remove nudity or sexiness from games? You have a weirdly puritan mind set…

• Monggerel says:

For someone advocating against easy offesne you sure take offense easy.

• Monggerel says:

“offesne” Lol! Good to see the intelect level of Outgroup X is stil adequately represented by Member # of Outgoup X being unabel to spel propr

• ribby says:

Um… huh? Are you talking to yourself?

And I don’t take offence easy… I’m not offended by his opinion, I just disagree with it and think it’s stupid.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Exactly, I don’t get the criticism at all. There’s nothing gratuitous in this video, it’s all in-universe and strongly based in mythology.

I thought they played up just enough the beauty of the woman at the beginning to emphasize the horror of her being a monster. The monster being naked wasn’t exactly titillating except maybe for teenagers, it’s just raw and horrific. Also the Witcher’s deeds rarely feel completely good, and her being the monster but also somehow the victim accented the drama of the situation.

If you want “fairness” you should ask for naked male monsters (and I think the Witcher might already have those), not for Geralt to go fight monsters naked. (Like, seriously dude, do you think twice before writing sometimes?) But whether you like it or not, female beauty being twisted in the shape of a monster will always capture people’s mind a lot more no matter their gender.

• ninnisinni says:

Sure, look up the drowners from the earlier games if you want to see some monster-wang!

18. Baines says:

Speaking of The Witcher 3, what is the story with the claims that when CD Projekt Red found that the current gen consoles couldn’t handle various graphics-related features that the PC version could handle, they chose to reduce and remove features? I’ve seen tweets and such related to the story, but little of the actual story itself.

• Baines says:

I say that, and then find a link…

Anonymous developer claims that the 2013 trailer was in-game footage from the PC build. (Then) Next-gen consoles turned out to not be as powerful as they’d expected, and they couldn’t afford to have three different builds, so they instead chose to reduce the game to fit the lowest performing system. As a result, they had to cut or turn down a list of features that PCs were capable of handling.

CD Projekt Red apparently denies the downgrading.

link to whatifgaming.com

• Luringen says:

I’ve read that for every single major cross-platform game since the new consoles came out. Unless there are more proof of it beyond the word of an “anonymous developer” I don’t believe it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

In what exactly you don’t believe though? In the reasons behind the downgrade or the downgrade itself?

Because if it’s the latter i absolutely urge you to rewatch that 2013 trailer. Besides, if you believe in the downgrade ( i do, i’m hugely critical in this kind of stuff and i usually spot such things ), if you start connecting the dots it’s hard to believe there might be other reasons behind it other than expectations being set too high.

A quick search and you’ll find that before the consoles released CDPR blindly joined the bandwagon of those hyping their incredibly brilliant architecture with low latency as the next coming, ignoring that there was so little horsepower ( AMD cores below 2ghz? oh my. ) behind.

I mean APUs are clever and with plenty of potential, but they will prove themselves in the future, not today. It’s easy to fall for that PR that only focus on efficiency and not on power ( you need both ), and i’m not sure if CDPR believed all that or if they simply sold themselves for some financial help.

Eitherway, while a lot can be speculated, if there’s ONE thing that is certain is that the graphics changed for the worst.

• Luringen says:

“Either way, while a lot can be speculated, if there’s ONE thing that is certain is that the graphics changed for the worst.”
            We don’t know if the graphics in the latest trailers are from PC Ultra. They probably are not as that would mean console players would believe they are getting crazy graphics, then getting the inferior console graphics and feel cheated for it (see Watch Dogs for all platforms, consoles in particular).

The downgrade claim is purely speculation. Like i said, such accusations are practically tailor-made to make pc gamers pissed at consoles in general (creating more raging gamer-gate like mobs :( ), and they have been around for every major release since the new gen consoles came out. There has never been any proof of it (perhaps apart from “volumetric fog” in Watch Dogs being cut, but it’s not known why), just small websites claiming to have been in contact with “anonymous developers”. That’s not proof, that’s rumors. The burden of proof is on the ones making the accusation, and so far there are only these vague claims; nothing to be upset about.

Even if they reduced the graphical fidelity of the PC version, I can’t blame them for not having the resources for a customized graphics engine for each platform :P

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I can’t blame that either, they’re a business and not wizards, they can’t just do anything they want without some serious financial planning.

Thing is, if Ultra is really hidden and it won’t still prove to be what we used to see in the past ( which is likely ), i will still have a problem with their dishonesty, simply out of principle. Again, i can understand their needs, but i want them to be transparent about it and i don’t think i’m asking that much.

Besides, i hope you understand that i absolutely WANT to be proven wrong, and i totally hope they do, although i can’t help being quite pessimistic about it.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Also, last point:

Also, let’s suppose i’m right and Ultra doesn’t solve much, the end result will still be a downgrade. Now i don’t know what i should proof, the burden of proof in this case is not on me or anyone else, everyone can see the shots, videos and so on and judge by themselves.

I could see the difference in Watch Dogs and i saw the difference in TW3 ( if ultra doesn’t fix it ), if you can’t then i won’t be able to prove anything to you. Not exactly my fault.

It’s not just a next gen bandwagon either, the most obvious downgrade example is something that even people with some severely impaired vision and absolutely zero expertise in this camp noticed: DS2.

You do know this yourself, they would need 3 different version as the Xbone is severly inferior to the PS4, so you don’t need any proof as you too said that. What i want is the clear admission that shit went incredibly wrong, i want this in the open and it has to be a claim coming from the gaming industry itself.

Since this won’t happen, the only thing i can hope is that many people will keep reading and using their eyes.

• Baines says:

You aren’t likely to get more than that.

Publishers aren’t going to come out and say “Yes, we had the game running at a much better quality on PC, but but we dialed everything back because consoles couldn’t handle it.” They certainly aren’t going to say anything stronger, such as “Sony/Microsoft paid/threatened us to consider making sure their console version wasn’t worse, which meant we had to dial back PC features.”

Employees that want to stay employed aren’t going to attach their names to such stories. Nor are employees that want to continue working in the industry, even if they want to work for other companies.

Disgruntled employees and/or companies might make less anonymous claims, but just as anonymous sources get dismissed for being anonymous, disgruntled sources get dismissed for being disgruntled.

Even visual evidence tends to be questioned. Did the publisher/developer intentionally hold back the PC port to match consoles, or were they just doing a minimum effort port, or were they just bad at PC development? Koei has lately been putting out ports that are somewhere between the PS3 and PS4 versions in quality, but is it due to contractual obligations (such as promised exclusives for current gen consoles), lazyness/cheapness in regards to a platform that they don’t really care that much about, or because they don’t actually know how to do a better job? (In the case of Koei Tecmo, it is probably all three.)

We do know that it happens. In particular, we know it happens with consoles, when companies do last-gen ports to Nintendo systems. We know that exclusives deals get signed, whether it is from the publisher wanting money for additional content or from the platform owner requiring equality or bonus content.

• Imbecile says:

Yep, its the standard cry of the PC elitist. Whether its true or not, forget about it. The game seems to require enough poke to force plenty of pc gamers (including me) to upgrade, and looks great. Apparently there are framerate issues on the PS4, which there shouldn’t be on the PC.

• Horg says:

It’s fairly easy to see that the current console footage is not up to the same level of detail as the preview footage from last year. I expected that, and i’m fairly sure that CDPR never said that was console footage. The XBONE would have shit itself and shut down just thinking about running a game that graphically intensive. CDPR have repeatedly said that they are holding back the PC ultra settings until launch, and currently no one has any evidence to disprove that, so the PC down grade rumors are just speculation right now. If they don’t deliver something noticeably superior to the console after launch, then people can start complaining. Personally i’m not bothered either way, I expect my PC to handle more than the minimum requirements, but not the level of detail from the previews.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Yeah, if you put it like that, the downgrade is indeed all speculation, but it’s true all the same that hoping for the carefully hidden ( if it’s true ) ultra settings to bring it back to that 2013 preview might end up being wishful thinking.

I mean, i’d love that and i hope you’re right, i’m just not as optimistic as that.

• Horg says:

Nvidia put this out yesterday:

link to geforce.com

Obviously some of it is just pushing their own GPUs, but they do confirm that the PC build will have some post possessing effects not available on console, the physX at least will be in higher detail on PC, and the PC version will have higher texture resolution and more particles per effect. So with that we can conclude that the rumor of PC and console builds being identical was bullshit all along. How much better remains to be seen, but if they give the same level of post release support to TW3 as they did to TW1 + 2, then the launch build probably wont even be the final iteration.

• zat0ichi says:

Negative hype is still hype. I hold a glimmer of hope W3 will be startlingly pretty on PC if you have the hardware to throw at it.

One guy has supposedly shown PC ultra footage
            Search
            “WITCHER 3 WILD HUNT Gameplay & Combat on PC with Ultra Settings | Docm77”
            500,000 subscribers.
            Seems like a ‘professional’ youtuber generating channel traffic so I’m not putting the link up.

I don’t believe it would look that bad. Fine for consoles but CDPR, the PC focussed darlings of the industry, churning that out?

They might break my heart.

I’ll get a good game and I’ve got my pre order downloaded and waiting. (I’ve looked through the config files but I don’t know enough to how they translate into expected beauty)

I was really looking forward to the big boys getting schooled but it looks like consoles are shackling gaming beauty

• Luringen says:

To be fair, consoles makes producing games and related technology more profitable in general (by vastly increasing the number of gamers), resulting in more money spent on R&D which also benefit us on computers. Of course. It would be unfair to dismiss consoles as purely a negative thing for PC gamers, even if cross-platform games don’t look as good as they may have.
            Perhaps if the game never was meant to come out of consoles, the lower number of customers would mean they could never reach that level in the first place due to heavily reduced budget? No sources for any of this of course, just thinking out loud.

19. Stupoider says:

Quick, someone say problematic!

• Razumen says:

The lineage of your parental providence is problematic at the most rudimentary level, sir.

Am I doing this right?

20. OscarWilde1854 says:

Lace me up, lace me up…

21. Razumen says:

Surely Alec isn’t trying to argue that funbags are the same as trouser snakes on a sexual level? Besides that, studies have already shown that women admire different parts of men’s physique than men do women’s.

• porcelain_gods says:

Its this weird internet thing, penis equals breast, rather then breast equals breast

• ribby says:

I feel like the only way penis’ would fit in a game (ew- no pun intended) is if it’s comical- like in the Order or more obviously, in Mount your friends.

• kament says:

So that weird female custom of wearing bra is an Internet thing. I always wondered.

• ribby says:

@kament well it’s not like it’s suitable for men to walk around topless everywhere…

It’s not quite equivalent breast to topless but breasts showing is in no way equivalent to dicks showing

• Razumen says:

the stigma against topless women is a relatively modern phenomena, women have long gone topless throughout history – the distinction that men going topless is somehow different than women is one born from religious and puritanical ideals.

• kament says:

Yet if you see women on a beach not wearing bra it’s a safe it’s a nude beach. Corollary, anyone?

• Razumen says:

No, I wouldn’t say it’s safe to assume that.

• kament says:

Ok then.

• MellowKrogoth says:

@Razumen Women have never been able to go topless in colder countries in winter. If you add that to the fact that breasts are way more beautiful when you give them a bit of support rather than letting them sag, it explains why hot countries had little interest for breasts but cold countries loved’em… and since Western culture is so prevalent everywhere now, we exported that interest.

22. hungrycookpot says:

Why does everything have to be a commentary on gender equality?

• Razumen says:

Because feminism these days seems to be more about finding inconsequential things to be offended about, rather than trying to solve real, important issues in today’s world.

• kament says:

Couldn’t have anything to do with the industry being overflown with sexualization and tawdriness in general, no siree. It’s just a coincidence. Funny word, that.

• Razumen says:

No, because it’s really not. Sure there’s some blatant examples of sexism, but overall the issue is rather overblown when it comes to what actually are in games.

• kament says:

I just don’t want to derail the thread further. You know what I might’ve said and vice versa, and we both know there can be only one, so why bother anyway. I respect your opinion, though. Honest.

• ribby says:

I just want to give Kament a hearty pat on the back for saying that though he disagreed with someone, he respected their opinion. Thumbs up to you

(unless that was meant to be sarcastic)

• MellowKrogoth says:

RPS have sometimes raised issues I agreed with, but here it indeed sounds like “let’s find an excuse to be offended”… not to mention a pretty bad understanding of what most women actually find sexy.

23. TMA says:

Is it just me, or has Gerald started to look more and more like Solid Snake?

• Zenicetus says:

They changed his face for this one. The previous two games had him looking a lot like Kevin Costner, so maybe Costner sued?

Joking.. but there must have been some reason for the fairly drastic change in his face. He doesn’t look like the same person as the previous games. Also it looks like he’s had some extreme cosmetic surgery to get his waistline that narrow. He looks pretty beefy everywhere else, but that thin waist looks weird.

Not a big deal, it’s just interesting that they changed the way he looks, and I wonder why.

• Razumen says:

I just thought he looks a lot older, but that might just be me.

24. kament says:

Okay, I’ll say it then. Why didn’t he try to kill her outright? Okay, maybe he knew she knew he was there. But why didn’t she try to kill him outright? She would’ve succeeded, by the looks of it. Or why didn’t she watch him to, you know, know what he’s doing, t least? Why didn’t he try to set the whole barn or whatever it was on fire without entering it?

Don’t get me wrong, it looks mighty cool and all that, but honestly.

• Razumen says:

Witchers are paid to kill monsters, not burn down property.

• kament says:

I still think they get paid to kill whether it includes burning down property or not. It’s not like it’s any good to anyone as long as there’s a monster, right?

• Razumen says:

That would explain why pest removers routinely burn down homes then.

• kament says:

I’m telling you, if I had something like the thing Geralt fights in my house I would gladly burn it down myself to get rid of it. It’s not a roach infestation, you know. And Geralt did say that when it comes to survival all bets are off.

But yeah, nitpicking, I know. Doesn’t stop me from admiring the video, too.

• Razumen says:

She’s not a roach, burning down the barn wouldn’t have accomplished anything, she’d have fled as easily as she entered it.

• Zenicetus says:

Dr. Evil: Scott, I want you to meet daddy’s nemesis, Austin Powers

Scott Evil: What? Are you feeding him? Why don’t you just kill him?

Dr. Evil: I have an even better idea. I’m going to place him in an easily escapable situation involving an overly elaborate and exotic death.

Swordfishtrombone says:

It is quite interesting to note that there aren’t any male sexy-vampire-type things in the Witcher universe. Do we think this was a genuine attempt to move away from tired, “I vant to suck your blood”-type Dracula tropes or is it just, as you say, “laddish”? As a slight aside, I personally don’t see a problem with having laddish characters in games such as these – as long as you’re left to form your own opinions about the appropriateness of their behaviour – so I’ve never felt there’s an overbearing sense of lad culture being forced down your throat by CD Projekt (sex Pokemon notwithstanding). It just sort of pervades their game worlds as, unfortunately, it seems to in the Real World. I like the Witcher series because it sometimes lets me punch people who display that kind of behaviour, even though I’m far too much of a coward to ever consider doing so in real life.

• Caelinus says:

There is a sexy vampire thing in the universe, a major character, but for plot reasons he can not show up in the games.

Swordfishtrombone says:

Ah, apologies, I’ve only managed to get my hands on The Last Wish as far as the books go (and have played both previous games) so don’t think I’ve come across him.

26. Alan Alda says:

So we’re just casually tossing out the word ‘unreconstructed’ now?

27. racccoon says:

Already pre downloaded through the amazing Origin launcher! :)

(unlike Rockstars Crappy SocialClub Launcher)

I can’t wait.. This game looks awesome & that was some nice cinematic work well done devs.

28. tabyrd32 says:

Cool tune indeed.

29. elderman says:

Obviously this trailer really appeals to some people. For me, the gratuitous sexualisation, the graphic violence, the melodrama, all really repulses me. If this were the only thing I knew about The Witcher series, there’s no way I’d ever play it. If it were the only thing I knew about computer games, I’d despise them. The series has such a following that I gave the beginning of The Witcher 2 a try, up to the first fight, and found it similarly unpleasant. To each their own of course, and I don’t mean to imply any criticism of anyone else by saying it’s not my taste. I suppose CDPR know their audience; they certainly aren’t selling the game to me.

• Razumen says:

nudity # sexualization, some people just really don’t get this.

• elderman says:

I’m sure that’s true: some people think that an image of a body without clothes on is automatically sexual. (By coincidence Sally Mann’s just published her memoirs.) I’m not one of those people, but it’s not ridiculous to assume that’s what disgusts me about the trailer. That’s not it though.

As I wrote above, this trailer makes me very much not want to buy the game. I didn’t analyse the thing, or put it in a larger social context or anything like that. I’m just saying: ugh! If you don’t see it the same way, that’s normal because we’re not the same people.

However, if you’re just looking to have an argument online, I can oblige you. Let me know what you think we’re arguing about and I’ll do my part. To help you work up a dudgeon, I’ll describe a few ways I think the trailer is gratuitously sexualised. The trailer is called ‘a night to remember’, which to me evokes nocturnal trysts; it’s begins with a seduction scene, and ends with the two characters lying in together in a pose the evokes post-coitus to me. I know some people like the association of sex and violence in fantasy and in the flesh. I don’t, and I don’t like this trailer.