Minecraft Is The Most Watched Game On YouTube

The stats are in. YouTube videos of Minecraft [official site] – Notch’s unshakeable elder god of PC gaming – have been watched more times than any other video game during the website’s 10 year reign.

But how many of those videos are about constructing giant block wangs? YouTube may not say, but the investigative journalist in me says “many.” Speaking with the Washington Post, YouTube’s global head of gaming content Ryan Wyatt said there are over 42 million Minecraft videos on the site, with “Minecraft” being the second most searched-for term overall.

Which surprises me, when you consider the spectator culture around games like League of Legends and DotA – which hit the Number 3 and 10 spot, respectively. In fact, Minecraft’s success on the site may actually say more about how YouTube has failed to nail the eSport market.

Anyhow, here are the top 10 games on YouTube, according to YouTube:

1. Minecraft
2. Grand Theft Auto
3. League of Legends
4. Call of Duty
5. FIFA
6. Garry’s Mod
7. The Sims
8. Five Nights at Freddy’s
9. Puzzles & Dragon
10. Dota 2

1. Corwin71 says:

I watch quite a lot of LP’s and other video game related content, and I’ve watched almost zero footage of any of those ten games. I’m not surprised that I’m atypical, but I am surprised not to see Skyrim anywhere on that list.

2. Melody says:

Well, you always have to consider that league of Legends is also streamed on Twitch a lot of the time, probably more so than Minecraft, and DotA 2 games can be watched from within the client itself. I can imagine that takes away a lot of spectators from the youtube count.

3. v.dog says:

I’d say it’s due to three things: 1) the endless creativity means that there’s always something new to look at, 2) the game is for all ages, giving it a much wider audience than any of the others, but mostly it’s 3) the complete lack of instructions means you’ve got to search for tutorials on everything from making tools, to farming sheep, to making complex redstone mecha.

• P.Funk says:

#3 is also almost certainly directly responsible for making people bump into #1 and potentially turning people who’d never watch an LP or look for more than basic tuts online become serially addicted to minecraft vids.

teije says:

Good points.

Minecraft videos were the “gateway drug” for my son to get into YT videos for gaming in general. Still probably accounts for a third of his gaming video consumption.

4. Neurotic says:

My kids love watching MC on YT. IN fact, this is how they find out about new mods and stuff. They’re quite young (6 and 8), so they like Stampy Longnose and TDMC best. If they both get their computer time at the same time, one will play Minecraft on one screen, and the other will watch YT vids of it on the second screen. :D

5. tehfish says:

I’d love to see a breakdown of those minecraft stats for vanilla and modded versions of the game, i suspect the latter accounts for a sizeable chunk of it at the very least :)

I do find myself watching a lot of gaming youtube videos (particularly the Yogscast channels) Far more entertaining than TV in my opinion

• Robslap says:

Agreed, the offspring and I will often supplement our weekend ftb sessions with dw20 or yogscast videos on the TV

6. Spacewalk says:

Well of course it is, it’s got cats in it.

7. Themadcow says:

My 6yr old prefers to watch video’s of minecraft mods on YouTube over actually playing the game on the PS3 he’s allowed to touch. He wants the PC version for his birthday…

PC Master Race in the hizzle.

A lot of Minecraft video content is pretty decent in all honesty. The Diamond Minecart guy might talk an annoying amount but the stuff he produces is almost always far more engaging than 99% of other game footage videos. The latest one is an episodic recreation of a ‘Lost’ style theme using Minecraft airport with working security scanners, and then moving to an island with a crashed aircraft and cunning survivors etc usually delivered with the kind of bouncy enthusiasm that sucks you in whether you like it or not.

• Neurotic says:

My 6 year-old is the same. He’s quite addicted to Stampy and TDM, which I don’t mind because ever since he’s been watching their videos, his English has improved ten-fold (he’s half-Polish). I suspect that some Minecraft videos are popular with language learners of all varieties, because often it’s a more mellow kind of commentary that’s easier to follow than the frantic commentary of a shooter or MOBA, etc.

8. Continuity says:

“Minecraft Is The Most Watched Game On YouTube”

no shit. that’s not news its been blindingly obvious for the last 5 years.

9. sekullbe says:

My 9yo also watches loads of Minecraft videos. One thing that helps is that there’s an iOS app, Mineflix, that curates videos so she doesn’t have to wander the great Youtube wilderness. She’s even asked for a book because one of the video series she follows is building stuff based on it (a real classic, ‘The 21 Balloons’).

My own video watching tends towards Kerbal Space Program.