Free To Play: Demo Technobabylon Before It Launches

You’ve got a few days to wait before Technobabylon [official site] officially launches on Steam, but in the meantime publishers Wadjet Eye have sounded the Free Stuff klaxon and are offering a tasty morcel of demo for the price of a mere link click.

Remember this game? It might jog your memory if I say “that thing what was Blade Runner meets Police Quest.” Technobabylon is essentially a throwback to the olde point-and-click adventure of the 90s, built for the bleeding hearts of cyberpunk fandom like myself. The game will hit PC on May 21st for $14.99, but you can download a nice little demo for free from both Steam and its website.

In celebration of the impending release I’ve turned the tough decision of where to download from into an actual Adventure Game-styled branching narrative! Here it goes:

Do you download from Steam? If yes, you will travel to the terrifying Land of Gabe where your loose change will be melted down and turned into Steam skins.

Do you download from Wadjet Eye? If yes, you will be greeted by the All-Seeing Wadjet Eye who, so taken by your wit and charm takes you as his bride, the Wadjet Nose.

1. Lacero says:

If someone could review this, or give it a position in a ranked list of wadjet eye games, that would be great.

I’ll be waiting.

2. caff says:

I’m interested, as always with Wadjet Eye games.

3. Unclepauly says:

It’s a point n click, yet it has severe mouse acceleration. Which means I’m having a hard time pointing and clicking. Who the hell thought that a good idea?

• LionsPhil says:

Yeah, that accelleration is way off. This is barely playable.

Which is funny, since for pointing and clicking accelleration is the right thing. Overriding the platform’s native mouse input was not.

• kalirion says:

It seems to be a “feature” of Adventure Game Studio – even turning off mouse acceleration in Windows doesn’t disable it in the game (though may make it easier to play.) If you keep playing, you get used to it.

• kalirion says:

I forgot to mention that in AGS games this issue mainly occurs in Fullscreen mode. Run setup/winsetup and change it to windowed – be sure to adjust the Graphics Filter (for a 320×200 game, 5x Nearest Neighbor gets you 1600×1000, which is a nice window size for a 1920×1080 monitor)

• DaveGilbert says:

Hello! Dave from Wadjet here. This is an issue that seems to crop up with certain brands of Logitech mice. Going into your mouse settings and turning off “enhanced pointer precision” usually fixes it.

4. LionsPhil says:

First few interactions in the game:
    Look at some cables.
    “Ugh, exposed fibre optic cables.”
    Use the cables.
    “If I go around cutting cables I’m going to get electrocuted.”

5. Juan Carlo says:

I remember Wadjet Eye making a big deal about how Blackwell would be their last AGS made game, but from everything I’ve read elsewhere this seems to have been made in AGS.

Mikemcn says:

TechnoBabylon was made by a seperate dev and published by Wadjet Eye. Actually, from googling I think there was an older version of the game, without the fancy graphics, and this is an updated version of that. I found some adventure game review from like 2012 with a screen of the starting demo room but with plainer graphics, weird.

• alms says:

“I don’t mind AGS or anything, just wondering if they abandoned the idea of starting with a new engine post-Blackwell or if this is one of those games that someone else made and they are just distributing.”

Probably none of the above. I haven’t followed the development of this game, but the Gilbert rarely if ever limit themselves to publishing or distributing. Try the developer commentaries for stuff like Resonance for an example.

• DaveGilbert says:

Dave from Wadjet here. Just to clarify who did what: James (i.e., Technocrat) did the design, story and the programming. Wadjet did all the art, the voice acting, the QA, and some story/design guidance here and there. We also handle all that boring business stuff like sales/marketing/distribution/etc. Our level of involvement varies from game to game, but in terms of Technobabylon, that’s what we did. Hope that makes it clear!

Mikemcn says:

I love what wadjet eye does with adventure games, but hot damn am I bad at them. Currently stuck in the first room of the demo, i think I have to kill the cooking machine.

• LionsPhil says:

Read your (in-game) e-mail.

It was kinda an interesting puzzle, but I can’t honestly say I enjoyed it. :/ Doesn’t help that the entire cast so far are unlikable.