Thanks, Old Chum – Batman: Arkham Knight’s Dual Play

Zam! Pow!

Spare a thought for the person responsible for turning game features into Marketing Points™. One of the things Batman: Arkham Knight [official site] brings to the series, along with loads of Batguns, is sections where Nightwing, Catwoman, and others join the fray as AI partners you can switch between.

So here, look, it’s a new video showing off the feature that surely dozens of hours of meetings and agonising and focus testing named Dual Play Combat.

At certain points, Batman will team up with a Batchum to beat the heck out of even more men than usual. The other character’s AI controlled, flipping around and doing their own in ways you won’t need to worry about, but you can switch between the two Batfolk at will. Perhaps your Batpal is in the perfect position for a mega-combo-a-rama. Or perhaps you simply want to be Catwoman and spin around.

It’s a poor substitute for co-op, and mostly reminds me that co-op would be super cool, but hey ho.

Sadly this here video of Batman and Nightwing punching men cuts off shortly before – I imagine – Batman shakes the former Robin’s hand and says “Thanks again, old chum.” If I don’t see that happen in the full game, which is due to launch on June 23rd, I shall be sorely disappointed.

1. povu says:

I love that Rocksteady keeps bringing new features to the combat system. Arkham City was a big improvement over Asylum, and it looks like this adds even more options to the mix.

2. Terragot says:

I can’t afford to pre-order this, but I’m really interested in playing as Harley. Am I shit out of luck or do they usually do content bundles after release?

• Jinoru says:

That’s what the GOTY editions of AA and AC have been. The pre-order bonus for AC was to play as Robin, which came in the GOTY edition.

• tintinmayo says:

My last pay check was $9500 working 12 hours a week online, so I was able to afford the preorder.

3. Latro says:

Given the kind of Batman they have been using in the games, in all probability he would never say anything positive to anybody.

It would be something like “Why are you here ,I did not need you”
    “You were sloppy, need more training”
    “Go away”

• Jalan says:

As long he’s got that velvety tone of Kevin Conroy, I don’t care if he’s Captain Bringdown.

• gwathdring says:

Kevin Conroy makes even the more asshole-ish Batman worth it.

4. Jackablade says:

I’m still holding out hope for a Silver Age Batman once Rocksteady get all this grittiness out of their collective system. It would seem to have been the ideal time for it with the 75th anniversary having just passed.

• Jalan says:

If Rocksteady does another Batman title at all, I’d be genuinely surprised.

5. gwathdring says:

Not related, but holy crap I can finally log-in from an article and be redirected back to that article’s comments! :D Awesome!

• 7vincent7black7 says:

Whaddaya know, you weren’t kidding. This calls for an obligatory celebration montage. Zhu Li! Do the thing.

6. Robert Post's Child says:

Gotham criminals sure are a decent bunch, waiting their turn for the Batlads to give em a good socking. I wonder if they plan it out ahead of time, like filling out a dance card at a fancy ball.