CGI Orcs: Peek At Warcraft Movie’s Orgrim Doomhammer

Curious about what the CGI orcs – and the legendary Orgrim Doomhammer in particular – will look like in the upcoming Warcraft movie? As you may have guessed, he’ll look a lot like the picture above, as Wired revealed. Like a big, muscular orc. But with a sparkle in his eyes that says there’s a sweet, sensitive side hidden in there somewhere.

The movie version of Doomhammer is played by Robert Kazinsky and is a little different to how we’ve seen him – and orcs in general – in the Warcraft games. Industrial Light and Magic appear to have opted for a fetching shade of brown rather than the standard Waaagh! Flesh (Warhammer Pantone #364) shade we’re used to.

Works for me. The ILM team has created a very convincing Orc using Kazinsky as reference. Wide and imposing and able to stand toe to toe with a speeding train, should the need arise. Thankfully I don’t think trains exist in the world of Warcraft, but if they happen to be invented any time soon, Orgrim will be ready.

The Warcraft movie will be released on June 10th, 2016 and will hopefully involve more than just one CGI orc. Fingers crossed for a two-headed ogre arguing with itself for half the film. Easily my favourite Warcraft 2 feature.

1. smegjacob says:

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen a train in one of the WoW trailers.

• rexx.sabotage says:

dat Deeprun Tram

• rexx.sabotage says:

in all fairness the original EQ had way better trains

those things would easily mow down any hapless orc unfortunate enough to be near a zoneline

• Carlos Danger says:

Estate of Unrest was my first experience of EQ trains and loved every second of it. One day we will get dangerous PvE in an MMO again. The reign of the theme park will one day end.

• Mint says:

So far we have Eve-omline providing “dangerous” pve. and a few others. Ppl dont like to truly “lose” in a mmo so i doubt that number of mmo’s that have features that make the game have consequences will grow so drastically that it will end all those “safe” mmo’s.

Sadly

• Oridan says:

In addition to the Deeprun Tram, there’s also the “Grimrail” in Warlords of Draenor.

link to i.imgur.com

2. Themadcow says:

Thank god they’re releasing this film at the height of WoW’s popularity. I can’t wait for the Minecraft film in 2026.

• MacTheGeek says:

Or the Robotron game in 2084.

• Cicero says:

It may shock you to learn that Warcraft is more than just WoW. Hearthstone, for example, just came out last year.

• HarrietTubgirl says:

Are you looking forward to a Hearthstone movie next?

• PancakeWizard says:

Hearthstone is basically a cheap and cheerful way of retreading over the WoW storyline, though. In lieu of doing a Warcraft 4 that covers it all in RTS-o-vision.

3. Tei says:

this is a incredible good rendition to wow orcs, lets hope they look that good in movement

Andy_Panthro says:

My only real Warcraft experience is a bit of Warcraft 1+2, but aren’t Orcs supposed to be green? Otherwise it’s very impressive, provided the animation is good (presumably they’ll be using lots of motion capture like the new Planet of the Apes films?)

• Anders Wrist says:

I’m no lore expert, but it is my understanding that the Warcraft orcs turned green after they consumed the blood of Manoroth and entered into the pact with the burning legion. Before that, they were brownish yellow/red like the guy in the picture.

Brown > (Pact with Mannoroth) Green > (Exposure to Fell magic) Red

• ZPG Lazarus says:

Then what storyline are they following?

Probably 99% of the audience hasn’t played Warcraft 2 or knows the plot. Besides, the campaign was basically two sides beating the snot out of each other till they each the Black Portal/capitol of Lorderon.

Watching the rise and fall of Arthas Darth Vader-style, with the movie ending with him killing his father would be way cool. Tack on another two movies ending in the battle for Hyjal and you’d get a blockbuster. Hell I’d go see it.

• ivorza says:

I’m no lore expert either, but have read some of the origin books, which seem to be very integrated with WoW Wiki/Overrall lore/Story/whatever. As my understanding goes on the subject, as mentioned above, orcs were pure shamanistic and when the started using fell magic, Nature itself rejected them. They and their homeworld, Dreanor, got corrupted and their skin went from brown to green, and after their pact with Manaroth their eyes turned red.
          My version could have many mistakes as I read these quite long ago, but the fact that they are incorporating this into the movie is making me look forward to it so much more. As my understanding goes, the movie is a origin story starting before the orcs actually even met the humans, and as far as I can see, the movie is researched quite well. Yay.

• hadizaheer says:

Yeah that sounds about right. I think a lot of that was covered in the fourth warcraft book, ‘the rise of the horde’.

• Asurmen says:

Brown to start > Red after drinking blood > green after freeing themselves from Burning Legion.

• PancakeWizard says:

This is a ‘green’ Orc I believe. The Brown–>green stuff was basically retconned backstory rather than anything played out in the games. No players knew about brown Orcs until an ‘undiscovered’ tribe of them was introduced in the Burning Crusade expansion (along with the concept of red Fell Orcs). Before that we had Warcraft 1, 2 and vanilla WoW all with just bog-standard green Orcs. It’s just flavour, but I doubt they are going into it for the movie. Likely just various shades of green for ‘normal’ Orcs.

• ivorza says:

It could very well be. I hope this is actual brown tho. I read on Wikipedia way back and didn’t check my facts now, so again open for error, but the characters involved in the movie goes back to the beginning. Although most of them are beyond the ‘we turned green’ era, I recall Durotan being mentioned in part in the context of the events described in ‘Rise of Horde’ (This is pretty much the prelude to Warcraft 1). So there’s my hope. Don’t want to follow it too closely tho coz think I’ll be very sad if they mess this movie up. So rather trying not to expect too much. But so far it seems promising.

5. EhexT says:

I can’t wait to see if they copy the idiotic looking WoW humans or if they go for real life humans. WoW humans are almost as (ludicrously) broad as an Orc. Every human male looks like a football player overdosing on steroids.

6. P.Funk says:

I’m sorry, but CGI Orcs has already been released. It was called The Hobbit: An Unexpected Disappointment.

• RayEllis says:

Thanks for that! Now I have to clean tea off my monitor screen.

Very true though!

7. bill says:

I can’t believe we’re getting a WoW movie and we still haven’t gotten a (real) Warhammer / WH40k movie.

Have Games Workshop not noticed LotR and the success Marvel is having with movies??

• ripclaw says:

Games Workshop have always been really terrible at (wait for it!) “leveraging their IPs”. (I think I just vomited in my mouth a bit).
      Thus, WoW.

• PancakeWizard says:

GW lore doesn’t really lend itself well to ‘blockbuster’ fare. It’s far too dense and grimdark (and therefore not worth the massive expense). WoW has enough pop culture clout and leeway to make this viable. A w40k movie might sound good in theory, but try to imagine the dialogue and look being taken seriously and being captivating for 2+ hours.

That said, George Miller doing a Necromunda movie? Now you’re fucking talking.

• Wulfram says:

The sort of story in Warhammer: Dark Omen seems like it’d work fine as blockbuster fare

• P.Funk says:

I think a WH:40K mini series would be grand. Make it an anthology type so that you never stay focused for very long and you can hit most of the big parts of the lore.

• EhexT says:

There’s loads of ways to make a W40k movie that works.

You can do your gritty Sherlock-Holmes-in-a-terrifying-future-Hive-City Inquisition thriller (think Seven or Zodiac in a world where a serial killer could potentially doom the entire planet if he’s crazy enough).

You can do your bombastic Saving-Private-Ryan-so-we-can-execute-him-for-failing absurdist comedy, featuring WW2-with-lasers action and grim jokes.

You could also do a a straight up siege movie with Imperial Guard (I guess Astra Militarum now) main characters. You know the type of movie – it worked great for countless films, like LotR: Two Towers – 75%-80% setup and preparation for the siege, with lots of interpersonal drama, internal conflict between the religious believers and the more down to earth soldiery and a ticking clock for when the Navy or Space Marines arrive to save the day.

What you absolutely shouldn’t do is make a movie about Space Marines, with Space Marine main characters, fighting Space Marines because that is both boring as hell and going to confuse people because unless you explain all the intricate stuff going it looks like a bad Gears of War ripoff.

Guess which one GW actually did make.

8. Jackablade says:

I’m shocked at this flagrant brown-washing of the orcs. I half expect them to trot out people in purple-face makeup next to play the nightelves

9. Rao Dao Zao says:

Well, it is a live-action film, and as the old saying goes, real life is brown!

Qazinsky says:

I swear that I’ve been using my online nickname Roberto Qazinsky since the release of CoD4 at least and then in recent years, this guy shows up and make me look like a name-copying fanboy. Do you think there’s any chance that he’ll change his established actor name to prevent such confusion?

11. The Ultimate Clone of The Ultimate Warrior says:

It looks like their going for Warcraft 1’s story. If they can pull it off it may be very good. Especially considering the main character is an orc. That’ll be fascinating to see

12. luckystriker says:

This movie is directed by Duncan Jones, whose last two films, Moon and Source Code, didn’t suck.

This just be the first videogame adaptation to not suck.