Balls Out: Snooker Is Coming To Pure Pool

At last, I have a way to experience snooker without the constant and impending threat of getting glassed in the pub for trying to use the cue like a golf club.

We first talked about Pure Pool [official site] earlier last year: a pool simulation accompanied by the sort of shiny sleekness you’d expect out of a Sean Paul video. It made Adam’s cold Northern heart go all aflutter having previously only experienced pool in Mancunian public houses where the pool table is a guy’s stomach and the cue is an angry human fist. Though the reality wasn’t quite the same.

Now, about a year on since launch, the makers at VooFoo Studios have released a new snooker-centric trailer, which retains all the music video hotness of its predecessor. As a Canadian I don’t know a whole lot about snooker culture but I’ve watched enough of it to know it’s mostly about rotund white dudes walking out to the theme of Your Sex Is On Fire. I guess you’ll have to roleplay that part yourself, or at least “BYOB”.

Players of Pure Pool will be able to unlock the upcoming Snooker DLC “soon,” say VooFoo. The downloadable content comes with a full career mode at different difficulty levels, two new snooker-centric challenge modes and DLC specific trophies. Check ‘er out in action below.

1. Jams O'Donnell says:

Does this not dilute the purity of the pool?

• Baboonanza says:

Dont’ worry, all of the balls come pre-sterilised.

Interpret that however you like.

2. Jalan says:

Wait… Sean Paul’s still relevant?

3. DrollRemark says:

Bring your own beer gut?

• Frye2k11 says:

VP4 is on sale on steam for a few more hours. I hope the player base gets a bit bigger now. It really is quite good.

• Silent_Thunder says:

It really is a far more complete game. I’ve got time to kill while backing up a harddrive (boot drive is not long for this world it seems, getting thrashing while doing the most simple tasks on a fresh OS) so I’ll list every game available from the Quick Play menu.

9 Ball, 8-Ball World Rules, Snooker, Black Ball, 10 Ball, Straight Pool, One Pocket, Bank Pool, Rotation, 6 Ball, 3 Ball, Pocket Billiards, 15 Ball, Cribbage, Honolulu, Bowlliards (DO NOT play Bowlliards, it takes forever, even by pool standards), 8 Ball World Rules, Two varieties of Pub Rules for 8 Ball, US League Rules 8 Ball, US Bar 8-Ball, Cowboy, English Billiards, 3 Cushion Billiards, 1 Cushion Billiards, Straight Rail Billiards, and 4 Ball Caroms.

4. Chaz says:

As a Canadian I don’t know a whole lot about snooker culture but I’ve watched enough of it to know it’s mostly about rotund white dudes walking out to the theme of Your Sex Is On Fire. I guess you’ll have to roleplay that part yourself, or at least “BYOB”.

Are you sure that wasn’t a darts game you were watching? The average snooker players usually tend to be reasonably average in weight. Although John Higgins is getting a bit paunchy now, but he is 39 so I’ll excuse him for that.

Snooker is also very popular in China now, so it’s starting to finally break out of it’s predominantly British roots.

It’s actually a very watchable sport, and the level of skill some of these players have is nothing short of amazing.

• Koozer says:

I am appalled at Emily’s lack of Snookerian cultural knowledge. Snooker is a game in which audience members get a stern telling off for having their commentary earpiece on too loud, and participants are obligated to wear waistcoats.