S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Studio GSC Announce… Cossacks 3

Remember when S.T.A.L.K.E.R. studio GSC Gameworld grandly announced its renewed existence to the world, and how I warned you it was unlikely their next game would be a new entry in the open-world FPS series? I do hope you didn’t get your hopes up regardless.

GSC Game World today announced Cossacks 3 [official site], which is actually a remake of ye olde Cossacks: European Wars from 2001. Their return to their historical epic real-time strategy series is due later this year, and teases battles with up to 10,000 units.

Cossacks 3 will tour big battles from the 17th and 18th centuries, having players do that RTS dealio of gathering resources, building structures, researching upgrades, and training men to murder the heck out of enemy forces. Huge enemy forces. 10,000 is a lot of units.

Along with five historical singleplayer campaigns, it’ll have multiplayer with support for random maps and up to seven players (or AIs).

Cossacks 3 is due later this year, some time from October to December, on Windows, Mac, and Linux. The original Cossacks games came out in a period when I mostly refused to play anything where I wasn’t personally shooting men’s faces off, so I can’t tell you anything from experience. Psst, hey, knowledgeable readers, tell us all what they were like, yeah?

As for S.T.A.L.K.E.R., look, you knew it wouldn’t be that, didn’t you? Pretty much anyone who ever had anything to do with the series is long gone, and many are making their own S.T.A.L.K.E.R.L.I.K.E.S.

1. Wowbagger says:

Awesome! I loved all the old cossacks games, and still play them from time to time thanks to the GOG release.

2. Neurotic says:

Still got my seperate boxed Cossacks and the expansion sitting on the shelf. This is good news indeed!

3. XhomeB says:

Awesome news! Love the series, the RTS genre is kind of dead at the moment, so here’s hoping Cossacks 3 manages to fill that market niche.

4. remon says:

Now, this is a game that will really benefit from dx12.

5. phelix says:

I suspect the no new STALKER thing is also partly due to the Half Life 3 syndrome.

i.e. if they made a new STALKER it would never be able to live up to the tremendous hype.

6. cpt_freakout says:

That’s pretty cool! I’d love an ‘updated’ version of American Conquest, while they’re at it.

7. Jerkzilla says:

I’m a bit disappointed in it being isometric, but still excited for this. It was a bit like Age of Empires but set in the 18th and 19th century and with a better developed (and somwhat more realistic) tactical aspect. Cannons are nice.

8. cpy says:

Cossacks and American Conquest, 100s of hours waging naval, ground and native warfare. Oh yeah.

9. Korvus Redmane says:

Heh, I remember mucking about with these when I was younger, great fun. Always liked the fact that you required resources to fire gunpower weapons, which I was terrible at keeping track of. I rember building the biggest ship I could, only to realise It was unable to fire all its guns at once own to my poor resouce management!

10. Mr.Bats says:

I was 9 in 2001 and I loved Cossacks to bits. Played until 2007 or something like that. I remember how I LOVED the smoke and how it covered the battlefields. I actually have it on the shelf, may give it another go…

11. kud13 says:

I still have my original disk for this. Absolutely amazing RTS that did so much advanced stuff (infantry, cavalry, artillery formations; physics when firing artillery; that AMAZING naval combat so many years before Empire: Total War; mercenaries, capturable buildings and artillery, resource upkeep).

Should be awesome.

12. RegisteredUser says:

I must be one of the few non-fans. These were outdone by, well, every still-sprite-based Total War game. Sorry to the handful of fans, but having a go at another decent Stalker game rather than this 2D RTS mess would have been much, much more necessary in terms of what the PC videogames have been missing.
    Just my 2 cents.

• Shadow says:

To be honest Empire/Napoleon Total War and Cossacks are different kinds of games. The former deals with the interaction of two different game modes, turn-based grand strategy and strictly tactical RTS battles. The latter is a pure RTS with all the elements working in a single environment.

You wouldn’t compare Rome/Medieval Total War and Age of Empires, nor XCOM and Starcraft. Not the same subgenre.

13. Shadow says:

I loved Cossacks and its expansions. Cossacks II was weirdly fast-paced and ultimately didn’t stick. In no small part because it was also paired with the dreaded Starforce DRM system.

High hopes for Cossacks III and hopefully a bunch of same-engine cousins set in other time periods (like American Conquest and The Great War were for Cossacks).

14. Sinnorfin says:

Looks like they dug out Heroes of Annihilated Empires’ engine for a round.
    Which is good because that was one fun unfinished game.

15. Zankman says:

Looks very nice, exactly how I imagined they would do such a game in today’s era!

16. Anvilfolk says:

I actually preferred Cossacks 2… the napoleonic era with muskets, the importance of knowing when to fire, judging unit’s relative strengths, etc.

But most of all, I really prefer the resource system in Cossacks 2. There are villages strewn throughout the map, and each produces one of 4 resources. Instead of having a billion drones gathering things, you’d need to capture and hold these villages, and secure the roads to your base. This gives the game an important logistics layer, with guerrilla tactics being possible, as being starved out of some resources means you can’t produce more units, or that you can’t fire! Unfortunately, GSC didn’t do a good job of giving this system as much attention as it deserved, especially in Battle for Europe, a Risk-like campaign map with tactical battles where resources are rarely a problem.

Still, very excited to see this. It’s one of the few non-standard RTSs, and that’s a good thing.

17. KFee says:

awesome news! Cossacks was such a good game!