It’s A Good Thing Id Restarted Development On Doom 4

The Doom 4 trailer-that-wasn’t, like a necromantic summoning ritual, appears to have opened a portal to a hell dimension of leaked artwork and footage. Supposedly leaked video and artwork posted on the Doomworld forums and All Games Beta show what the game once looked like prior to 2013, when development was scrapped and restarted. Now we know why.

With a colour palette somewhere amidst Call of Duty, Metro and Gears of War, Doom 4 looked brown as hell. Except less red than that. And looked very little like any Doom, even Doom 3.

The footage comes from the show reel of a former cinematics director at CGI wizards Blur Studios, Mark Bristol. It definitely takes some cues from John Carmack’s megatexture-em-up Rage, plus all the games mentioned above. The best part of the video? Someone’s failed attempt at playing the Doom theme in the background. I mean, it’s not meant to sound like that, right? [I’m pretty sure that music’s added as a joke -ed.]

As terribly bland and generic as this footage is (though certainly technically sound), it actually gives me renewed hope for whatever Bethesda have to show us at E3 next month. Moreso than those 2 seconds “shown off” yesterday. If they realised this was a terrible idea, then maybe the actual thing won’t be so bad. When Nathan got a peek at QuakeCon last year, he said it had “fast combat, linear levels, emphasis on madcap action over scares” and was “Doom, but with ludicrously violent, ultra-fast melee finishers”. Fingers crossed.

1. Greg Wild says:

Call of Doomty

2. gibb3h says:

Say what you want, but it LOOKS nice at least

• XhomeB says:

But it LOOKS like RAGE 2. Or Resistance 4. Or post-apo Call of Duty. With an awful cast of “dudebro” characters following you everywhere… or, the ones YOU have to “follow” CoD-style.

3. DizzyCriminal says:

The guitar riff is atrocious. It sounds like an amateur metal bands first rehearsal.
    I’m not sure if it is meant to sound that way or not =/

• 517H says:

You can bet it was a piss-take. It’s a bad version of the original Doom/Slayer riff

link to youtu.be

In a way it represents the horribly disfigured mess this game is compared to the oringal

4. FoSmash says:

Sounds like this guy graduated to the guitar:

5. WJonathan says:

I was waiting for that to become a Doom game…at least I didn’t have to wait long?

6. onsamyj says:

When “Doom 3” was released, I was very confused, because it wasn’t “Doom” at all. “Doom” (I and II) is very eclectic first-person metal album cover shoot ‘em up with keys and a lot of secrets. Maybe it was scary back then, in jump-scare sense, but from where this survival horror, “you can’t use flashlight and a gun at the same time”, coming from? And this trailer is actually very “Doom-y” (more II then I), just with more NPCs. You know, fun run and gun, maybe. But instead, I fear, we gonna get more of a “let’s try to be spooky but mostly just dark and one monster per room” stuff. Boo.

• Razumen says:

Doom 3 was a pretty good shooter regardless, it wasn’t survival horror at all, you can run around blasting monsters just like the original games. To make it even better, load up the Sikkmod mod for Doom3, crank up the difficulty and turn on random spawns in the ini file-it turns the game into a faster and more unpredictable shooter, with great atmosphere to boot.

• Catweasel says:

The guns all felt reaaaaally bad to me, I dunno how anyone enjoyed them. The shotgun might have had the best sound of them all but it had the most ridiculous dumb spread of any shotgun I’ve ever used and felt bad just cause of that.

7. 9of9 says:

Uh… Sure, this looks very brown and kind of generic. But those are some damned nicely rendered characters, and it actually seems like the concept could allow for pretty interesting new gameplay. It looks very different from the previous Dooms and that’s a good thing. Fighting some sort of guerilla war against a demon invasion on earth isn’t something that’s really been done before and could be genuinely pretty new and fun.

The Doom we’re actually getting just sounds… insipidly dull. That two-second teaser looks so generic I’d have believed them if they later went “Psych! That’s actually just Doom 3 footage we reused with a DoF filter on it!” And their promise of “fast combat, linear levels, emphasis on madcap action over scares”… I don’t know, maybe it’s just me, but isn’t that like all the wrong things? Like, there’s nothing wrong with some over the top retro action, but that’s been done to death and while I’m sure lots of people will get a lot of mileage out of that, if I had to pick a Doom4 out of these two versions, the earlier one is the one I’d go for.

• piedpiper says:

I feel thirst for good old shooters with a lot of top-quality action and little story. What we got in that field in last 5 years? Hard Reset, Shadow Warrior, Serious Sam 3 and, maybe, Bulletstorm. I want new DooM to be stupid, brutal and fast, with little story and big not-so-linear levels.

• tangoliber says:

Try Ziggurat.
        Also, Fancy Skulls, but that is still unfinished.

• Napalm Sushi says:

Space Beast Terror Fright scratches that itch effectively too.

• Conrad B Hart says:

Hellgate London did that! Humanity taking refuge in the London Underground and fighting what looked like a losing war against demons pouring out of hell rifts. No, Hellgate London wasn’t very good. But the flavour and ambience were excellent and someone else should definitely give it a crack.

• 9of9 says:

Hahah, yes, I was just thinking of that when I wrote it: “I guess Hellgate London kind of sort of did that, but I bet no one remembers it anymore.” You’re right, it did have a good atmosphere and it’s a shame it wasn’t a better game, it had lots of good ideas. That said, the whole leading throngs of people through the streets thing actually reminds me more of the end of Half Life 2, which would be interesting to see someone develop further. Hellgate London and others of its ilk have tended to focus on solo/party-based dungeon navigation.

• tnzk says:

“Fighting some sort of guerilla war against a demon invasion on earth isn’t something that’s really been done before and could be genuinely pretty new and fun.”

It doesn’t matter who does the invading. All that matters is that it’s being invaded, and invasions are DONE TO DEATH. It’s like how blockbusters from Transformers, Avengers, Star Trek and Superman all have city razing scenes that are completely interchangeable. No, no, this uber-brown Doom looked utterly pathetic.

There’s not much the Doom 4 trailer-to-the-trailer really showed, except for two things: 1) Here’s a raging Revenant and 2) To the sound of death metal. There’s just enough hope that they follow up on that promise.

If Wolfenstein: The New Order was Moses, please oh please let Doom 4 be the Messiah.

• Razumen says:

Everything’s been done to death, but a open world Doom meets Stalker game would be the bomb, and you’d be lying if you say it wouldn’t be.

8. John O says:

“Doom” is a very specific thing. If you mess with the formula too much, it turns into shit. The 2 sec teaser works because it shows that the double barrelled shotgun looks appropriately shotgunny, and that the Revenant looks like the Doom Revenant, is about as tall and wide as the Doom Revenant and does things we’re used to from a Doom Revenant. I skipped through 2 seconds worth of frames, but couldn’t make out anything of worth about the environments. Doom 3 was a turd as soon as they “reworked” the pinky demon. Maybe it was a fun game, but it wasn’t Doom.

9. piedpiper says:

id, please, invite Bobby Prince as a composer!
    As for the trailer… could’ve been a good game but not a good DooM.

10. tonicer says:

The main point that makes me not going to preorder doom4 or even get hyped about it is that it’s … a console game. Yes that’s right it will be for XBONE PS4 and PC. If it would have been “only on PC” i would have been at least hyped.

• piedpiper says:

Agree. DooM on consoles is not a good sign. New Wolfenstein definetely has that consoley taste to it. So do Rage. Both are good games but could’ve been much better.

• XhomeB says:

Good point. I’m kind of glad it’s not Quake we’re talking about (the movement physics, pinpoint gun accuracy etc. simply wouldn’t work on a console), but what I expect from Doom are clever, sprawling level design (instead of linear corridors with cutscenes around every corner) and fast player movement, enemy projectile dodging plus super accurate weaponry. It can be done, but I have little faith that the “new” id software, which delivered Rage (with its AWFUL LEVEL DESIGN) is up to the task.

• PancakeWizard says:

Id burned their PC bridges (pun intended) a long time ago.

• Jason Moyer says:

Yeah, Id totally sold out when they released Doom for the Sega 32X in 1994.

• horrorgasm says:

Can you even name a single good FPS that has been on PC ONLY in the last 10 years?

• Razumen says:

Stalker: CoP. Bam.

• rabbit says:

stalker shoc with the lurk mod was… probably the most immersed I’ve ever found myself in a single player game. absolutely loved it.
          CoP is the golden child cuz it was more refined and not quite such a bug ridden epileptic mess on release – and yeah, the praise is well deserved. but I can’t help but feel that it was actually sorta a step back in terms of vision or progress when compared to the dream for clear skies. I absolutely love the stalker series, no other game has ever scratched that same itch for me…but even with help from mods (what few mods there were for CS) it’s… just too broken in practicalllu every way to be enjoyable for me. which still bums me our to this day because IT SHOULDA BEEN SO MUCH MORE

11. XhomeB says:

Oh, my. The fact they even CONSIDERED making a Killzony/CoDy/”dudebro” Doom like this doesn’t make me hopeful the new version will be any good…

12. fredc says:

On a more basic level, after Rage and then, amazingly, repeating their incompetence with Wolfenstein, I ain’t buying it until everyone with an ATI card reports it runs fine.

• gibb3h says:

W:NO worked fine on my 6950, def had issues with Rage though

• DizzyCriminal says:

I have a Phenom II X 4 and played RAGE on a HD 5670 and Wolfenstien:NO on a R9 270X with no issues.
      Just keep an eye for AMD’s latest video driver releases.

• phelix says:

My 7870 had zero trouble with The New Order. (my bandwith cap, however….)

• Razumen says:

Have a 7970, Rage and W:TNO both played fine, it’s less of a problem with the game and more of a drivers issue I imagine, since both use OpenGL.

• horrorgasm says:

er…ID hasn’t actually worked on a Wolfenstein game themselves since Wolfenstein 3d. They had nothing to do with New Order.

13. Not_Id says:

That footage is as much like Doom as Prey 2 was going to be like Prey.

Any chance Bethesda will release Knee-Deep in the Dead as dlc? Before the main game comes out?

14. Kefren says:

“fast combat, linear levels, emphasis on madcap action over scares”

Fast combat = depended how you played. Mostly, yes, but other times I was much more tactical, moving, using cover, hiding for that crucial close-up shot, especially when low on health.

Linear levels = I remember Doom offering loads of options to get around, especially with secrets. I never associated it with linearity.

Emphasis on madcap action over scares = not sure about this. Doom was action, and didn’t have jumpscares (if that’s what they mean). So jumpscares would be bad. But if they mean action over horror I’m more conflicted, because I always liked the horror element of Doom too.

“Doom, but with ludicrously violent, ultra-fast melee finishers”

I don’t like the sound of this. In Doom your a fairly tough guy in armour, but it is the guns that do the work. You’re not a martial artist, and only risk hand-to-hand when you collect a berserk pack or chainsaw – and actually, if I had ammo and space, I generally still preferred to keep a distance. It was his weapons that made Doomguy so deadly. A whole base worth of weapons to pick up and use once everyone else died (just before the game began).

Overall I hope I’m over-reading this. I don’t necessarily want big changes. And I have played Doom a lot. link to karldrinkwater.blogspot.com

• Razumen says:

Everyone thinks Doom was one thing or another, for example: hordes of monsters – the original game rarely had that many monsters in one room, but when Doom 3 came out, people lambasted it because it had…a couple of enemies per room, just like the original. User made maps had more monsters in the original Doom, and I think that’s where a lot of people draw their nostalgia from, but Doom 3 was also capable of lots of monsters as well-unfortunately the mod scene just didn’t pick up with it.

The same thing with linearity-Doom was an extremely linear game. Sure you could decide to go to Room A before Room B, but if Room B has the keycard you needed to progress, there wasn’t really any point to that. There was only ever one route to the end.

I agree with you about the action though, Doom was a violent game, but even then it still had some reserve. After all you were a marine not only fighting for survival, but to complete a mission. On the other hand Brutal Doom views the game from a 12 year old’s version of a psycho-sadistic killer. It’s not what Doom “was meant to be”, because if it was, id would have made it that way.

• Noumenon says:

I feel like you must have been playing on “I’m too young to die”. There were tons of monsters in most rooms. That’s why the mechanic where monsters fight each other worked, because there were so many there was always crossfire.

An RPG where you can only progress by finding the keys in order is linear, but that’s because an RPG is about unlocking the story. A shooter is nonlinear when you can wander down four different hallways and end up backtracking and crisscrossing through every one. E1M1 is linear, but E1M6 is so nonlinear you can get lost. Even though you have to go to the room with the switch to win.

• Razumen says:

Played on the hardest difficulty-there was lots of monsters in some areas, but many less in others, and nowhere ear the amount normally that people claim it had.

non-linearity means multiple ways to beat the level, having different but superfluous corridors to explore doesn’t count as non-linear level design in my books.

• Kaeoschassis says:

For whatever it’s worth (quite a lot, I personally believe), Doom’s mapping community almost always define “non-linearity” as having multiple, interconnected routes to explore that all eventually end up at the same switches or keys.

Can see where you’re coming from, though.

15. PoulWrist says:

Most of what’s in that trailer stuff is pre-rendered cutscene, not actual gameplay as far as I can tell the difference is very jarring when moving from one bit to the next, detail is very low in the actual gameplay stuff.

• Razumen says:

I don’t think any of that is prerendered, it looks like it’s all rendered in-engine. All of it looks completely possible to run in real-time on today’s hardware.

16. Rumpelstilskin says:

What are you guys talking about? Quake 2 had heavy metal OST; this is Doom’s music: link to mtcelestia.org

• jon_hill987 says:

Actually the music in Doom changed as you progressed, the early levels were metal inspired but as you progressed into more helly areas there were more strings like the piece you linked. link to youtube.com

17. Artist says:

I doubt ID can deliever when their main inovator now works for Google….!

• Artist says:

Err, Facebook… Wheres the damn Edit button!?!

• Razumen says:

I have a lot of respect for Carmack, but I don’t know how much of an innovator he was in terms of gameplay – he was much more of a technical genius who gave the creative types the cools tools to play with, with some input here and there on game design (he didn’t much care for story ingames, and was against implementing crouching in Quake 2 if I remember correctly.)

Unfortunately, I think most of the more influential people who had a hand in the more successful titles in id’s past have long since left the company

18. Mr_Blastman says:

Linear levels do NOT belong in a Doom game!

If the levels are linear, it is NOT DOOM!

• Razumen says:

Um, I don’t know what you were smoking when you played it but every level in Doom was linear to all hell.

• Kaeoschassis says:

There were plenty of fairly linear levels in Doom, especially the first one. Later levels did tend to open up a lot, though.

19. Alien says:

Teleglitch + Doom 1/2/3 = DOOM 4 (in my dreams…)

20. EhexT says:

All Bethesda needs to do is watch John Romeros Doom 1 playthrough on Youtube (it’s on the Double Fine channel). He basically breaks down exactly what makes Doom Doom in a single sentence.

Doom is about skillful movement.

They specifically cut out physics objects out of Doom because it could interfere with the players controls and movement. Doom needs the player to succeed not because his health regenerates, but because he’s good at dodging. Manually dodging. Not QTE or bullet time power bar dodging.

• Kaeoschassis says:

Aye.

Even the quality of the weapons (which is top-notch to this day) just adds more satisfying feedback to the blasting, makes it ‘feel’ good. The movement makes doom. It’s fast and sleek and juuuuust slidey enough, and at its best, when you’re weaving between baron and revenant crossfire, dodges synched to SSG reloads, it’s balletic as hell.

Every element has to work with that, though. Your level design has to have plenty of space, plenty of cover that’s useful without making you untouchable, plenty of height variation and plenty of incentive to stand and fight instead of just rushing past. You need a well-balanced arsenal that you can sleekly switch between as you switch up your distance and tactics. You need an enemy mix where every foe serves a purpose and challenges you in a different way, and, going back to level design, they need to be deployed in a way that keeps you on your toes. The movement has to feel good, but you also need both the incentive and the ability to use it.

Honestly, maybe Doom was just a perfect accident that they’ll never repeat. It’s nice to hope, though.

• John O says:

I wish they’d just use the old games’ core mechanics. That little pause when the shotgun Sargeant locks on to you before shooting, which is crucial for strafe dodging, the speed of rockets, the hit and damage points tied to the minigun, stuff like that. Then go crazy with level design and throw in neat graphics that don’t get in the way – it ought to run at 60 fps min.

21. WinterlightSong says:

Riffs from a nightmare reality…this was certainly doom…the end of guitar riffs as we know them!
    After 10 seconds, my ears were bleeding…
    After 20 seconds, the auditory cells in my brain had packed their bags, said ‘adios’ and had started a long trek southward to listen to ‘Chas and Dave’ instead!
    After 30 seconds I lost the will to live…….

22. zeekthegeek says: