Booyah: Life Is Strange Episode 3 Is Out

Don’t Nod’s adventure series Life Is Strange [official site] has a lot of things going for it, not least of which is the unironic use of the word “Booyah” in the launch trailer for Episode 3 – which launched this morning. Schoolyard angst, murder mystery and a hint of magic all mean that Life Is Strange is giving Telltale a run for their money in the episodic adventure game department.

Episode 3 is out now and it looks like things are getting a little more Real for Maxine and Chloe. Yeah, Real. With a big R. I don’t want to spoil anything for you (“booyah” notwithstanding), so check the trailer out to see what’s going down in trouble town. Uh huh, this is definitely how the kids speak. I’m so cool.

If you haven’t played any Life Is Strange yet, you may want to stay away from this trailer until you do. Just in case. Also, if you haven’t played any Life Is Strange yet what exactly is wrong with you? Go do that.

1. Ysellian says:

I have a question for those that are playing the episodes immediately. I played episode 1 and was intrigued by the story so I ended up buying the season pass and I was planning to wait until all episodes, but I’m wondering if perhaps the experience of playing episode by episode may not actually be better?

• Zallgrin says:

I find that especially Life is Strange benefits from playing each episode immediately. Unlike Tellatale’s episodes (which are still great and all), Dontnod adds great foreshadowing and hides many fascinating tidbits in each episode. Dontnod is also way more consistent and seems to have its plot all planned out – something which is not Telltale’s strength, imo.

Tor this reason there are A LOT of fan theories going around and I enjoyed Geek Remix presentation the most.

If you enjoy crafting and reading about fan theories – go ahead, play right now. If you don’t, feel free to wait until every episode is released.

2. Banks says:

Cool. I bought this thanks to Quintins recommendation and It’s quite charming. I like It.

3. GameCat says:

Isn’t life strange?

• Monggerel says:

BLUE HAIR FRIGHTENS ME
      WHAT IF ITS ELECTRICITY
      AND THE BUTTERFLY GOES BACK AND FORTH THROUGH TIME
      AND DOES A RAW BLINK
      AND RHYMES
      ON A DIME?

4. Robert Post's Child says:

Ah, man, I keep meaning to get into this and then forgetting about it. Glad to hear it’s still getting positive buzz.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

“if you haven’t played any Life Is Strange yet what exactly is wrong with you? ” My Life Is Strange enough as it is, thank you very much.

6. ribby says:

I find it a bit interesting but I still kinda hate it… I would normally just say it’s not for me but I think I like it less because rps keeps talking about how it’s giving Telltale a run for its money which I really don’t think it is

• sharpmath says:

This might be one of the worst posts in the comments of this website ever!

• elderman says:

To avoid an self-perpetuating spiral of comments reproaching each other for adding nothing to the conversation, I will only say that it’s a shame the game’s only out for Windows. Wine AppDB reports are inconsistent, but it looks more likely than not that the game runs smoothly from a 32-bit wine prefix.

7. caff says:

I enjoy it. Sure, you can call it nonsensical, whimsical, cliched, but it’s a pretty solid and absorbing adventure.

8. RabbitIslandHermit says:

I just finished it and as someone who really liked the first two installments this one is easily the best one yet.

• Faxmachinen says:

Indeed. This game is already up there in Games That Made Me™, and if it keeps it up, it may even surpass The Longest Journey on the fondness scale.

9. ribby says:

Hey man come on…. It’s just my opinion unpopular or not. I just feel like the recent TellTale Tales from the Borderland hasn’t got the appreciation it deserves for being imo, the best TellTale game since the Walking Dead. Compared to that… Well this just doesn’t compare for me.

10. rmsgrey says:

I did not see that ending coming.

I’m keeping two saves going at the moment – one where I’m playing through as it comes, and a second where I’m armed with knowledge of the list of choices and actively making decisions on things rather than making a bunch of the choices by default through missing the opportunity. For example, there’s a plant in episode one which you can water or not, but only if you interact with it to get the choice (if you don’t, you don’t water it by default)…

11. Tharoz says:

I think Tales from the Borderlands suffers because it is Borderlands, TBH. It’s such a close association that it puts off a lot of people who might be interested in an episodic adventure game, but have no interest in Borderlands and therefore no knowledge of the setting.

Also, Telltale have a process and formula for how the construct a lot of their stuff, which is fine and they make good games, but once you start seeing the similarities across their games, it can make them feel a little samey.

Personally, I’m enjoying Life is Strange as much as I enjoyed Walking Dead, partly because it’s a well told story, and partly because it is so different to how Telltale do it.

12. Tharoz says:

However, having just read that Ashley Johnson is joining the cast of Tales from the Borderlands, I’ll be paying a lot more attention to it from now on.

She voiced Ellie in The Last of Us, and can also be seen on Geek and Sundry/Twitch roleplaying in Critical Role, which is a great show!