Spooky Oceanic Exploration: Iron Fish Announced

Settle down, littluns: it’s time for more of Alice’s pond stories. I’ve started practising diving – feet hip-width apart, bend knees, bum out, arms pointing to entry point, launch from balls of feet, legs together – and delight in reaching deeper into darker waters, looking around in the murk as I surface. One day I will encounter one of the Moving Things that I know live there, and freak the heck out. Maybe it’ll prepare me for Iron Fish [official site].

Announced today, it’s an undersea journey from the sunny shallows down, down, down eleven kilometres, encountering unknown sealife and lost civilisations. Have a peek:

Iron Fish will see a British naval agent going down down down to investigate the depths. It looks like she starts swimming about herself from a first-person view, but soon needs to hop in her high-tech submarine – water pressure can do terrible things to a human body. Down she goes, exploring forgotten places and hopefully dodging hostile sealife.

Developers BeefJack and Dean Edwards say the story “blurs the boundaries between science and the supernatural” and I am certainly up for encountering things that should not be in black depths.

The game’s due before the end of the year, probably from October to December, on Windows, Mac, and Linux. It’s having a crack at Steam Greenlight too.

1. karnak says:

There was once a time in which we had several “submarine” games: Archimedean Dynasty, Subwar 2050, Aquanox, Subculture. Not many. But they were fun, nonetheless.
    Then I think we had to go through more than 10 years without a single underwater game (as far as I know).

It’s good to know that the genre seems to be coming back.

• TimRobbins says:

Aquanaut’s Holiday is a more recent submarine game, also blending science and the supernatural. If we broaden underwater games to include diving, the Endless Ocean series is amazing as well. Also the current World of Diving, which is currently in early access.

• Ross Angus says:

Depth Hunter 2 is a lovely relax-em-up.

• frightlever says:

Subnautica and Far Sky are survival diving games and there’s the multiplayer Depth, off the top of my head.

• jonahcutter says:

Subnautica is great (haven’t played Far Sky). It is not dissimilar to how this game looks. Except that it is sci-fi based whereas this looks/sounds more like horror. But those undersea caves could be from either game. It’s still in EA, but it is getting regular updates from an enthusiastic team. I’d recommend it for anyone hankering for undersea exploring.

2. padger says:

“Sounds awesome. What are you going to call the game.”

“IRON… FISH.”

“Uh ok. Are you sure?”

“IRON FISH.”

“Ah.”

Henke says:

I like the title. It must be how the inhabitants of the deep see the strange new arrival.

• jonahcutter says:

Cool idea for a different perspective, if used somehow. Kind of like the original “I Am Legend” novel, where the protagonist does indeed become a bogeyman kind of legend to his seemingly monstrous foes, who have actually developed a civilization without him realizing.

3. Koshinator says:

This game NEEDS Oculus Rift support….. some of the best VR experiences atm are underwater, and this looks like it fits the bill exactly.

4. Kefren says:

A very nicely done trailer. It tickles the archetypal fears floating dormant in my id.

5. Darth Gangrel says:

I always like Alice’s pond-ering, I look forward to the next bit of that.