Oops: TowerFall Expansion Is Out With Four-Player Co-op

Well lawks a lummy! I’ve gotten so used to skimming over the seas of TowerFall ’em ups that I had entirely missed that more TowerFall [official site] – actual TowerFall – came out last week.

The ‘Dark World’ expansion brings a four-player co-op mode to the arrow-flinging local multiplayer murderfest, along with new arrow power-ups, procedurally-generated levels, new characters to be, and plenty more murder.

TowerFall already had a co-op mode, you might remember, but was a fairly simplistic wave survival thing and only supported two players. The expansion’s Dark World Mode lets up to four players join up to murder enemies and squish big nasty bosses across three difficulty levels. But why does that beautiful… eyeball spike monster(?) have to die? Looks like a sweetie to me.

The expansion also brings new battlegrounds in places like a ghost ship and a bog, which are places I want many more video games to visit. Makes you big and strong, a bit of bog. Eat your bog. Eat it.

Dark World is on Steam, the Humble Store (DRM-free plus with a Steam key), and GOG. It’s cheapest on Humble, where a soon-to-expire launch discount brings it to £4.99. After that, it’ll cost £6.49-6.99 depending on where you shop.

From this site

1. Zankman says:

No Online – no reason to care.

• emperorhoney says:

@Zankman- After years of lurking, your comment got me to create an account. I have to strongly encourage you to give it a shot. Agreed, no online is a pain, but the singleplayer game is amazingly good and the couch coop is a great reason to drag people in off the street to play. It’s like someone’s masterwork in tight game design. Please give it a try.

• Excelle says:

Definitely take your point. But there’s a reason why I’ve only played this twice – once at a convention and once when we managed to get enough people together around a friend’s house. If it had online, I’d be playing it every other day.

Speedrunners, for example, gets a lot of play because of it’s stellar online mode.

• The First Door says:

I care quite a bit about this game! Does that count? What about all the other people who’ve bought it? Maybe they care! In fact, it turns out sitting on a couch with 2 of my friends last night, playing the new co-op mode was the most fun I’ve had with a game for months. How about that?

I’m so utterly bored with your sort of comment. Not everyone wants the same thing as you and there are plenty of other online games you could play. If you don’t care, why are you even here commenting?

• Nucleus says:

For a lot of people it’s quite the opposite – no local, no buy. Games are usually much better in a company of friends in the same room rather than random strangers on the interwebs.

2. Scrape Wander says:

The best reason for a couch, a laptop and 4 controllers. I can’t begin to tell you how many people I turn on to this game, I’m more or less a Towerfallian preacher, sharing this gift with whoever I can.

If you ever see me at PAX, I keep this in my backpack with 4 controllers at all times.

3. Excelle says: