Streets Of Fury Is Bringing Back The ’90s

Streets of Fury [official site] is a clever name if you think about it, because of how it’s so similar to Streets of Rage. Remember Streets of Rage? That was a great game. Maybe Streets of Fury will be a – oh, I see what they’ve done there. That’s not the game’s only throwback to the 90s either.

You only have to take a look at one screenshot before you’re blasted in the face with digitised characters and environments. If that doesn’t pluck at your nostalgia strings, I don’t know what will.

If Streets of Fury: Extended Edition seems familiar to you, then you may have played the original game back in 2007 on Xbox Live Indie Games. Developers Guard Crush Games have revamped the gameplay and added a bunch of new features, while keeping the important stuff intact: retro, digitised characters beating each other up. Even the costume designs ooze 90s subculture. Which is one of the stinkier oozes, if my memory is correct.

As you can see from the trailer below, every punch, kick, jump and special move has been taken from real world footage, thanks to liberal use of green screen. If you squint and turn your head a little, it’s almost like you’re right there on the streets of Paris, fighting against ninjas and street punks. Standard Saturday night.

At least there’s some depth to the gimmick, with a full feature set including 4-play co-op, 15 playable characters and a bunch of different modes to try out. No indication so far of being able to summon a rocket launcher-wielding policeman to wipe out everyone on screen, though.

Streets of Fury: Extended Edition is due on Steam on June 18th.

1. Hunchback says:

One of my earliest touches to the gaming world was with Vendetta, on an arcade machine, and i still find it awesome. It’s even better than Cadillacs and Dinosaurs , imo… Those kinda games are so great, i am really happy someone’s willing to recreate the fun! :D

• demicanadian says:

Watch out with comparing Cadillacs and Dinosaurs to other games. 8 year old me might time travel and do something to you in defense of his favourite arcade game.

2. MrNash says:

Suddenly I want to play Pit Fighter…

3. elderman says:

Feels like this game should ideally ship with the ability to record yourself doing the moves and insert yourself in as a character skin.

• fuggles says:

Wouldn’t that be great?! The problem I have is whilst I loved and love the genre they never end up being as good as streets of rage remake, which I ultimately go back to. Sucks we never got Scott pilgrim before no one got Scott pilgrim.

• tonallyoff says:

Didn’t the DSi have a game like that?

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Thanks, now my gaming existence will not be complete until I can play a fighting game where I control myself doing this

4. Bluestormzion says:

The 90s? But… but the 90s were AWFUL. I mean, I can’t remember a single thing about the 90s that was good. At all. I want more 80s, and less everything that happened after the 80s.

• elderman says:

A matter of perspective, maybe, and where you were?

For me, in the occident, the nineties were about the explosion of the world wide web, the Hubble space telescope, no more cold war, techno-utopianism, 3d graphics, the information superhighway, the end of Apartheid, German re-unification, the end of the Troubles, Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Nintendo and Playstation, Star Trek television shows, and generally optimistic sci-fi. I’m sure it wasn’t actually any better than any other time, there were plenty of wars and hateful things, but I remember it as a period of global optimism sandwiched between the cold war and the war on terror.

Also, there were a bunch of good computer games.

• Jad says:

Also, there were a bunch of good computer games.

I know that OP was kinda trolling with his comment, but the 90’s were a spectacular decade for PC gaming. Arguably a golden age, when consoles could not replicate most of PC’s abilities and had a very different approach and therefore could not dominate the PC gaming space, and when technology was powerful enough to allow exciting new designs but not so much that making a big game required huge studios, etc.

I mean, off the top of my head*, look at this game list: X-Com, Doom, Quake, Half-Life, Starcraft, Command & Conquer, Baldur’s Gate, Planescape, Diablo, Fallout, Simcity 2000, Civilizations 1 & 2, and plenty more I’ve forgotten.

Anyway, while I’m not sure about this game, I’m all for the “retro indie game” art style to take a leap forward from 80’s pixel graphics to 90’s digitized actors and FMV and flat shaded polygon 3D.

• SquidgyB says:

I get the same issues with friends who shout about music from the 90’s. Admittedly they are huge fans of 80’s metal, and *not so much* of electronic music, but to me the 90’s was instrumental in the development of my favourite genre of music – that of rave and experimental electronica.

Games as well, it’s arguably the birth of modern gaming. True 3D (with textures AND EVERYTHING)… FMV (as much as it is ridiculed and derided), proper, long storylines, games that, erm, *meant somethin* (yeah, that’s subjective as anything I guess).

At the end of the day, each and every decade, each and every year, month, day, hour, minute… has good and bad in equal amounts. Just because your specific tastes weren’t catered for during that historical period doesn not mean that “it was all shit” or that it was devoid of artistic merit.

I just want some people to understand that things aren’t quite as simple or black/white (Black & White, released in… oh, 2001…) as they *would like it* it to be.

5. Baines says:

Streets of Fury looks awful, but it was one of the better games on XBLIG. Honestly, it was better than some bigger studio efforts on XBLA.

The possible sticking point of a Steam release is price, though.

6. melancholicthug says:

I thought Double Dragon Neon already did this.

7. particlese says:

Oh, man, massive nostalgia for the DOS game Crime Wave! And 5.25″ floppies. Pretty sure Crime Wave was all guns and drugs/money collection — rather than fisticuffs — in addition to killing bad guys, but still, that digitized look was half the fun.

• particlese says:

*youtube*
      O_O
      Man, that game was so…bad!
      Sounds and music from the PC speaker, pink ninjas, totally rad sunglasses, tiny 1-second FMVs, … and apparently (it’s been a few decades) both damsel-in-distress stuff and a dude (dev?) in a really low-hung speedo. (Plus those sunglasses.)