Three By Three: You Must Build A Boat

You Must Build A Boat [official site] is the sequel to 10,000,000, the 14th best puzzle game of all time. 10,000,000 combined match-3 mechanics with a fantasy fighting endless runner and YMBAB adds more layers to the confection, in the form of a monster recruitment system, and the construction and management of the Necessary Vessel. I loved 10,000,000 and the sequel should fix my two main complaints by adding a more meaningful sense of progression and having a title that isn’t Google-proof (the title isn’t Google-proofed). Release date is June 4th and you can see the sea in the trailer below.

I didn’t realise how much I wanted to own a boat full of monsters until I watched Ray Winstone eating a terrified reptile that trailer. I like that the skeleton and zombie are still standing at the forepoop at the end of the video. They are committed crew members.

Hopefully there’s plenty of variety in the dungeons. I’m not entirely sure how the game is structured but I assume I’ll be matching and battling my way through dungeons to gather resources and crew members for the ship. I say “crew members” but I’m not convinced they’re all contributing. Some of them – I’m looking at the snakes in particular – just seem to be along for the ride.

June 4th is the release date and the price will be “$3-5” according to the one-chap development team.

1. Kefren says:

Wasn’t there going to be a big update to 10,000,000 (a game I really enjoyed)? I haven’t heard anything since but I am sure RPS reported on that once.

• RedViv says:

I guess this could be said to be the update, as it’s going to be free to all owners of 10,000,000. Unless plans have changed.

• Kefren says:

Ah! You have thumped the metal spike on the top.

• LucaRedwood says:

Yup! It was going to be an update, but ended up taking 3 years and becoming a sequel. I am not good at game development.

10000000 owners can still get it for free, I haven’t quite worked out the details yet because its harder on some storefronts than others, but people can drop me an email and I’ll sort it out.

• Kefren says:

Sounds like my writing projects, where “this’ll take six months!” (said with a broad grin) becomes 3 years or re-writing (finished with a weary look and more lines on my face).

I would feel dirty getting this for free, I had a lot of fun playing 10000000 with my nephew (and even my girlfriend, a non-gamer, had a few plays) and it hardly cost anything, so I’ll just but a copy of the new game anyway. Thanks for making it and best wishes for the future!

• LucaRedwood says:

Honestly, Thats why I’m going to do it as Opt-In for Steam rather than automatic, Steam is clever enough that it can do it automagically but 100% of the people I’ve spoken to said they’d rather pay afew quid for 3 years work so I can make more stuff, which sounds alright to me :)

• JB says:

Same here, I had a lot of fun with 10000000, I’ll happily drop a few quid on the new one.

It’s looking interesting, keep up the good work!

• popej says:

Aye, absolutely, thanks Lucas.

I certainly won’t feel aggrieved at paying a bit for the new game. It’s going to make my commute just that bit more bearable!

Roll on 4th June.

• Kefren says:

PS Have you thought about putting both games on GOG as a double feature? The more sales outlets the better.

• jrodman says:

I’d settle for a version of 10000000000000 that I could possibly complete with my matching skills as they are.

2. FurryLippedSquid says:

Screenshot reminds me of Skool Dayz.

• Kefren says:

You’re right! Ha ha, I loved those games, especially how you could rename the people as your real friends and teachers and bully. Oh, and leaving swear words on the board just before a lesson.

3. instantcoffe says:

Pixel Piracy comes to mind.

• Baines says:

Looks more like the true story of Noah’s Ark.

Mechanics look similar to 10,000,000. I’d guess the boat is the home base?

DelrueOfDetroit says:

Reminds me of the “Let me show you my boat” scene from The Life Aquatic.

Please give this game Workshop support to make that a reality.