Need For Speed “Full Reboot” Announced

I know this one: that's a car. The front of a car, unless I'm very much mistaken.

2014 was the first year since 2002 to not receive a new Need for Speed game, but Electronic Arts said they’d bring the racing series back for 2015 and here we are. EA today announced the game named simply Need for Speed [official site], a “full reboot” of the series.

Details are thin for now but the important stuff: yes, it’s set in an open world, and yes it’s set in perpetual night. It’s due this autumn and being made by NFS Rivals developers Ghost Games, a studio which absorbed a whole load of folks from Burnout Paradise devs Criterion. There’s a trailer.

About all we know about the game is summed up by this sentence from the announcement: “The game delivers on what the fans want, and what Need for Speed stands for – deep customisation, authentic urban car culture, a nocturnal open world, and an immersive narrative that pulls you through the game.” Okay then. EA have also roped in folks from their own car fan site Speedhunters, if that means anything to you.

All I know is that I want to drive sideways at high speed through a neon nightscape.

This here teaser trailer is not gameplay, though EA say “All footage captured in game”. Pinch of salt and all that. The “first full trailer” is due at E3, on June 15th.

1. Riaktion says:

Fingers Crossed Ghost can make a decent NFS this time, Rivals, despite ticking all the NFS “boxes” wasn’t very fun at all, where as I really enjoyed Hot Pursuit and Most Wanted… Ghost didn’t do those two though did they?

I do enjoy a decent arcade racer :)

• Ianuarius says:

I concur. Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit were excellent fun. I maybe even enjoyed the open vistas of Hot Pursuit more, but it seems we’re back in the city, this time. :)

2. Prolar Bear says:

No, Alice, that’s not a car. That’s a boat.

Everybody knows that American cars are boats.

• SlimShanks says:

Thanks for covering that and saving me the trouble.

• Solidstate89 says:

Isn’t that just adorable. Even on a site devoted to videogames you still have the farce of European automotive exceptionalism.

Grizzly says:

It’s true though :-p – But what the europeans get wrong is that the boatishness in those cars is not a bug, it’s a feature.

• Solidstate89 says:

It’s actually not and hasn’t been true for a pretty long time now.

• iainl says:

Indeed. I always thought it was an awful thing until I actually witnessed the pock-marked, post-apocalyptic state of California’s road system. Suspensions designed to maintain a semblance of handling wouldn’t last five minutes out there before the driver gave up in chronic back pain.

• Daemoroth says:

Brilliance of British engineering: You know your car’s out of oil when there’s no puddle underneath it.

• Kollega says:

And Soviet cars are all trash containers made out of 3-inch-thick depleted uranium sheets, but do you hear anyone harp about that?

3. JakeOfRavenclaw says:

Isn’t *every* Need for Speed game a full reboot? With the exception of a couple of numbered sequels back in the day, none of them have anything to do with each other…Then again, trying to parse marketing-speak is a quick path to madness. Anyway, I quite liked Criterion’s Most Wanted, which provided a really enjoyable open world to tear around in, so I could definitely be interested in another installment.

4. Arathorn says:

I’m glad to see this series is getting a reboot. The storyline was all over the place during the past few years, and all the expanded universe in the form of books, comics and movies made a mess of all the lore. Hopefully they can keep it streamlined this time around.

• Ross Angus says:

Well, you say that, but I don’t think the series will be the same without Grunt Stickman, the protagonist from Need for Speed: Delaware Drift. And who could forget Dick Torque, the plucky star of Need for Speed: Highway 666?

5. Trif says:

“The game delivers on what the fans want” has to be the ultimate sentence in marketing talk. The PR executive who came up with it deserves a medal.

6. montorsi says:

Look dudes, it’s not possible to create a racing game with a “gripping” narrative unless you’ve decided to really shell out for a good writer. And even then I’d have my doubts. How about daring to do something outrageous and bonkers fun like Driver San Francisco?

• Banks says:

Driver San Francisco was fun as hell. I’d love more of that.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Any “storyline” involving street racing boils down to the same Fast and the Furious nonsense of a bunch of cocky idiots going “WOOOOOOOOO” a lot. I don’t need this from my racing game. Just skip the writing, make the racing not suck.

7. bee says:

“An immersive narrative that pulls you through the game”? Who did they ask? That’s pretty much the LAST thing I want from a car racing game, and I have played NFS since the very first one.

Hodge says:

Staring eyes?

9. dontnormally says:

Can we finally get fucking Underground goddam 3 please?

All the games since NFSU2 were junk.

I want my car-driving RPGlite, damnit.

• Orija says:

This. How fucking hard can it be to emulate the things that Underground did right.

• Eiv says:

I agree wholeheartedly with both of you. Thats all I want!

• Kollega says:

Considering the “deep customization, authentic urban car culture, [and] a nocturnal open world” marketing blurb, this may well be Underground 3, in look if not in spirit. And maybe in spirit too, though sadly there’s not a very big chance for that.

• derbefrier says:

yes please NFS Underground has always been my favorite arcade racer games.

• The First Door says:

I agree, a new Underground style game would be good because I adored Underground 1. Having said that, however, all I remember from Underground 2 is lots of people repeatedly asking me in angry tones if I had enough ‘stones’ for things. It was most peculiar!

• lordfrikk says:

Agreed. However, I want a sequel to NFSU1 & 2 how I remember them, not how they actually are, if that makes sense.

10. hey_tc says:

God I hope it moves back towards what Underground 2 was, still the best in the series. It had no Ferraris or Porsches or silly cars at all – except Lincoln Navigators and Escalades. It was a little more Max Power magazine, suped up MX-5s and no pretensions.
    I always felt the magic was lost when supercars came along and stripped the cheap pearlescent paint off of the boy racers in their wake. Need for Speed needs more lads in Novas and less Frat Twat Simulation,

• Robslap says:

Yes! Instabuy if this includes a Vauxhall Nova you can stick half of Halfords to…

11. SlimShanks says:

If this is even half as much like Underground 3 as it looks, I may have to buy a NFS game for the first time since Shift 2…
    The dudebro calls were quite silly. Especially considering that the cities these games are set in are perpetually in a state of car-chasing.
    Also vintage 911? Yes please. But not in green, ewww.

• Kyber92 says:

I am sorry to inform you that you are completely wrong. A classic 911 in green is literally the prettiest car that could possibly exist.

• airmikee says:

Yeah, cause opinions are like facts, they all stink and everyone has one. Oh wait, no facts, assholes, that’s it.

• airmikee says:

Yeah, cause opinions are like facts, they all stink and everyone has one. Oh wait, not facts, assholes, that’s it.

Grizzly says:

You’re both wrong! The best Porsche are the ones in psychedelic Vaillant liveries: link to farm8.staticflickr.com

• Solidstate89 says:

If it’s not a Martini livery, you shouldn’t give a shit about it.

• okgo says:

But, but that’s a Rauh-Welt Begriff 964, and a zn6 Rocket Bunny to boot.

12. SuicideKing says:

I just want NFS II SE with updated visuals. All they’ve been making in recent years has been more Burnout than NFS.

• PseudoKnight says:

Hey, I’m not alone. That’s the version that stuck with me the most. I had fun with III too, but mostly only after modding the cop cars to be ludicrously hard.

13. FriendlyFire says:

Am I alone for whom Need for Speed means exotic cars in exotic locations, rather than street racing with big bass and glowing cars?

I still remember fondly NFS HP2 and I’d like it if they could recapture that game.

• Axess Denyd says:

Me too, but my favorite was Porsshe Unleashed.

• rcguitarist says:

I’m with you on that. I owned both underground 1 and 2 at the time, but never liked them as much as the first 2 NFS game or hot pursuit 2.

• LuNatic says:

High Stakes for me, but yes.

14. stanonwheels says:

Hello Underground 3. It’s been too long.

15. heretic says:

The last Need For Speed game I played was Carbon and I liked that there was some sort of story going through it, but they could really do much more without shoehorning it in.

One game where I only kept playing because of the interaction between the characters is Midnight Club 2!

And it had almost no interaction between the characters :P but when you raced against that asshole that took the girl’s car away it felt like a good deed, yeah! *_*

16. Kollega says:

Sounds like the devs and publisher want to bring some of the customization options back into the game… of course, it’s today’s EA, so a lot of those will probably be sold as day-1 DLC or locked behind a microtransactional paywall. Which is all too bad of a prospect, because a game that will offer wider customization than Underground 2 with modern graphics is what the world needs… what the world deserves… *eye twitch*

17. JoeX111 says:

“I want to drive sideways at high speed through a neon nightscape.”

I wish that was the entirety of this game’s design document.

18. Elliot Lannigan says:

Not what this 20 year Need for Speed fan wants…it took 7 installments before Need for Speed became a street racing game with the original underground. If they were being honest they would call this a reboot of Underground, not a reboot of the series, which was originally about racing exotic non-tuned cars around gorgeous reality-inspired fantasy landscapes. Those are the games I want back. Some of the tracks in those first 4 games are among my fondest childhood/teenage gaming memories and I’d pay a lot of money to be able to experience that again with modern graphics. Part of the thrill of a racing game to me is discovering beautiful new vistas to speed through and “city at night” does not even come close to hitting that spot.

TLDR: Some fans care more about locations than cars, and EA has no idea what the spirit of NFS is.

At least Driveclub sort of imitating the earlier NFS games, but 30FPS lock and slightly disappointing graphics make it hard to want to play.

• Siimon says:

Wholeheartedly agree. I absolutely do not want another driving game based wholly in a city, and especially not one wholly at night.

Give me NFS III: HP / NFS IV: HS. Or at least give me a better version of the good version of Most Wanted.

19. Fenix says:

Am I the only one who thinks Need for Speed: Porsche Unleashed was the best NFS?

(I have played 2, Hot Pursuit, High Stakes, Porsche, HP2, Underground, Most Wanted, Carbon. Haven’t managed to stomach any of the new ones for more than an hour.)

20. tnzk says:

Need for Speed: Rivals was the closest to the spirit of original NFS in a long time.

A full on reboot would look like Driveclub.

21. Delora says:

Another NFS, another reboot. We had Most Wanted and Hot Pursuit, so now it’s time for Underground? Maybe, judging by the teaser, but I wish for a real spiritual successor of NFS Underground 2…

22. Chizu says:

Sounds more like a reboot of specifically NFS Underground.
    How do you even reboot a racing series where so many entries are so unlike one another in the first place. And certainly, what they describe as being what people want is nothing like what the old NFS games were.
    But hey, I enjoyed NFS Underground, so I’m okay with this.

23. -Spooky- says:

Hello KI rubberbanding ..

24. fredc says:

So going by the intro text, when they say “full reboot”, they don’t mean “it’s going to be like Porsche Unleashed”, they mean there will be EVEN MORE microtransactions.

25. EhexT says:

Swing and miss. Oh boy what a miss. They pretty much nailed all the things that NFS doesn’t stand for and doesn’t need. NFS needs good controls, good AI, good tracks, no story, no online, no social bullshit, no ten bajillion menus and cutscenes before and after every race. In short NFS needs to be like Underground 1 (but with good AI, which I guess makes it Juiced 1)

The last couple couple NFS were atrocities against game design, where the game spent longer verfying that you didn’t steal their DLC, download random peoples race times online and shove some story in your face for longer than it actually took to race. It was seriously 80% filler so you could get to 20% racing.