Travel to Hong Kong With First Shadowrun Screens

Now that some Shadowrun: Hong Kong [official site] screenshots have finally been released, we’re allowed a first glimpse at what life for our Runners will be like in the Far East. In short, pretty similar to what we’ve encountered so far in Seattle and Berlin, but with a more Eastern twang. Shanty street markets, dimly lit docks and rooftop hideaways all scream Shadowrun. As does the now familiar art style, which looks like Harebrained Schemes have taken an ‘if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it’ approach. And rightly so.

There’s a teaser trailer too, but it shows absolutely nothing and gives us no clearer indication of when we’ll get our hands on the game beyond “summer 2015”.

We talked to Harebrained Schemes back in January about Shadowrun: Hong Kong and the developer’s relationship with Kickstarter and its fans. It seems they’re as surprised and excited as we are about the continued prospect of more Shadowrun games.

Considering Shadowrun Returns was released less than two years ago, it’s impressive and satisfying to see the third game in the series almost in our hands already. And a big middle finger up at the publishers who keep telling us we don’t like isometric RPGs. More and more this seems to be what Kickstarter has become; developers proving to big publishers that there is a desire for these sorts of games out there. Just as there is for new Mega Mans, Castlevanias and Banjo Kazooies.

With the three Shadowrun games along with Pillars of Eternity, Wasteland 2 and the upcoming Torment: Tides of Numenera PC RPG fans have an embarrassment of riches. Long may it continue.

Another two screenshots are over on its Steam page.

Matchstick says:

Slightly off topic, but if tabletop Shadowrun is your thing Bundle of Holding are currently running a bundle of Shadowrun 4th Edition PDFs for tte next 6 days or so

link to bundleofholding.com

• HidingCat says:

Isn’t it 5th Ed now though? Having said that I haven’t checked on the differences yet.

Matchstick says:

Yepo, 5th Edition is the latest but I think it’s far more of an evolutionary jump than the shift between 3rd and 4th Edition, so there’s likely still lots of good stuff to be had with the older books :)

• Whelp says:

5th is way better than 4th ed.
      Hell, even the background fluff is better, back to the roots and stuff.

Shadowrun 4th ed is the Windows Vista of Shadowrun.

2. HidingCat says:

Oh yes. Oh yes. Loved the games so far. Excellent stories and great setting!

3. anandus says:

BTW, it’s Shadowrun Weekend on Steam:
    Shadowrun Returns: €2,99
    Shadowrun Dragonfall: €4,49
    Shadowrun Hong Kong: €18,75

4. BTAxis says:

I’m playing Fallen Dragon now, it’s pretty good but I dislike how I’m not allowed to customize, outfit or even check the stats of my party members when in the hideout. That’s like, RPG 101. I hope they improve that this time around.

5. LessThanNothing says:

Is it just me…. or have they released the same game 3 times now? Don’t get me wrong, I liked Dragonfall… but once again this seems like DLC. I’m not sure why they chose the release strategy they did. It’s split up the mod base.

• Xocrates says:

I can think of two major reasons: It allows people to own one without having to own (at least one of) the others, and it allows them to change/tweak/redo old systems without having to ensure compatibility with the old ones.

• Zenicetus says:

Yep, especially the latter point. I didn’t play the first game but I did play Dragonfall, and it felt very much like a work in progress. I thought the game worked well in the between-mission areas and storytelling, but there is a lot of room for improvement in the tactical combat and tactical hacking. Changes can be made in the game engine more easily this way.

It will be interesting to see how this contrasts with Pillars of Eternity, where (if I’m not mistaken) the game engine is being stabilized for modding and upcoming DLC’s, but that means they can’t make many massive changes in the underlying game engine.

gritz says:

Yeah, just like Baldur’s Gate and Icewind Dale and Planescape Torment were all the same game.

• LessThanNothing says:

First of all, only talking about Shadowrun, don’t bring in other games. 3 games in 3 years…. with the same mechanics…. and none of the mods work together

• malkav11 says:

No, because there have been significant engine and gameplay refinements between the original Shadowrun Returns, and the Director’s Cut standalone release of Dragonfall. And for Hong Kong they will be doing even more. I mean, yeah, it’s got similar aesthetics, and they’re all predicated on the same RPG setting and system, but that’s to be expected.

6. tormeh says:

The combat system definitely needs work. i really dislike it. I played Dragonfall on easy, and quite frankly the combat ruined it for me. There should be some difficulty beneath easy where you just steamroll the enemy without trying. Or skip combat entirely, even.

Some voice acting (a la Pillars) and some animations would also be welcome, just to make the world and characters seem a little more alive.

• trashmyego says:

Odd, the combat is the best part of these games for me. And I’d be more interested in a harder difficulty than one that essentially removes all of the gameplay.

• malkav11 says:

Voice acting is expensive and very limiting. It’s well avoided. Especially on the pretty tiny budgets these games are working with.

• airmikee says:

I gave up on Hare-Brained games after Dragonfall made the combat system even worse than it was in Returns. Glad I didn’t even bother with their latest, pathetic attempt at an RNG.

Andy_Panthro says:

Loved Shadowrun Returns, am currently enjoying Dragonfall so I will definitely pick this up at some point.

8. dethtoll says:

This is my cue to stop dicking around and actually play Shadowrun Genesis and see how well it holds up. (Shadowrun SNES did not.)

• Blad the impaler says:

I must have thicker rose-coloured glasses than most. I thought SR (SNES) held up quite well for being more than a century old in game years. It was basic – but a solid RPG nonetheless.

9. DXN says:

Didn’t play the original but bleedin’ loved Dragonfall — I miss the characters a little thinking back on it! The delusional lab-tech/warrior-king was some of the funniest writing I’ve seen in games, and overall it had the feel of a really well-written tabletop campaign, like Pillars of Eternity but in a setting I actually enjoy. I don’t usually get on that well with isometric, turn-based combat but I liked it a lot here, too. And it even had a great, satisfying but not too pat ending. I’ll definitely be picking up this one!