FFXIV Heavensward Expansion Heads Final Fantasy V-ward

Upcoming MMO expansion Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward [official site] brings with it a whole bunch (technical term) of new dungeons to explore and die inside. With the FFXIV development team taking heavy inspiration from past Final Fantasy games, this Dungeon Walkthrough trailer feels like a trip down memory lane, from FFX to FFXIII to… Is that the Library of the Ancients from Final Fantasy V?

With this homage to one of the most memorable dungeons in the series, Heavensward may be the closest we get to an FFV remake, since Square Enix seems to refuse to admit the game exists. Final Fantasy IV has been remade twice (you can get the 3D version, with terrible Nintendo DS graphics, on Steam along with the recently released The After Years expansion) and yet no sign of FFV getting the same treatment. So, yes. It’s great to see Heavensward hark back to one of the greatest games in the series, complete with book monsters and dim lighting. Bring fire magic.

The expansion also has a theme song, composed by series veteran Nobuo Uematsu. It’s okay. It’s no Ronfaure from Final Fantasy XI, that’s for sure, but you can listen to it if you like. It’s called Dragonsong and the video shows some adventurers wandering around the new dungeons in awe/wonder/confusion. Maybe you’ll get to meet them them when Heavensward launches on June 23rd. You’ll find the music video below, along with the dungeon walkthrough video and a look at new job abilities available in Heavensward.

1. MrNash says:

I like the nods they’ve been making to past Final Fantasies in FFXIV. Still hoping they tie what’s happening in Eorzea with Ivalice, as there are a few connections to be noticed. Can’t say I like the theme song though. Just felt really cheesy, but then again I don’t like any of the music with vocals from this game.

2. Ejia says:

Well, I suppose it’s too much to ask for yet another version of Clash on the Big Bridge.

Even though Square-Enix seems to like remakes they also appear to be intent on ignoring FFV-IX in favor of IV. Presumably they’re busy porting Final Fantasy IV: The After Years as a VR headset minigame after doing the smartwatch version.

• lumenadducere says:

They’re not really ignoring it. They announced the final story updates for XI will be happening this year….and THEN they’ll be ignoring it and it’ll be in maintenance mode. Which really makes sense from a business viewpoint; as they’re consolidating their big-game titles in favor of smaller mobile games, they probably shouldn’t have their focus on running two MMOs. One is challenge enough.

• DeepSleeper says:

After the last remix of Clash you mean? I suppose a few months is too soon, yes.

• DeepSleeper says:

Nevermind, I was thinking of the 2.5 version of the fight. It’s been more than a full year since this remix. Yeah, let’s have some more Gilgamesh.

3. Jinarra says:

V was great, but the main character’s name didn’t exactly translate well.

• wu wei says:

V is probably my favourite of the entire series, I loved the job system.

• Jinarra says:

You’re absolutely right, it was an incredible system, and the game itself was fun too. I am pleased other people share my opinion on this matter! I’m just sad it doesn’t seem to be getting a PC version. Oh well. Maybe next year!

• Tukuturi says:

Does it really make sense to spend time and money porting a game that has been easily playable on an emulator for over a decade? I loved FFV, and FFVI was one of my favorite games of all time, but I’m not inclined to pay for ports or weird 3d remakes.

• Ejia says:

Considering that Final Fantasy III got a PC port of the DS remake, and Final Fantasy IV is getting ports everywhere, Square-Enix seem to think so.

I sure wish they’d move on to V and VI, which were probably my favorites.

4. Luciferous says:

In the music video it almost looks like we’ll be on friendly terms with Iceheart at some point…. and possibly having a friendly chat with the new Garlean Emperor…. Twelve preserve me, but I need it to be June 19th right this instant!

5. rosemarytfernandez says:

I ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­make ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$86 ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­hourly ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­on ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­the ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­computer. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­have ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­been ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­without ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­work for ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­six ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­months ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Hey you guys I have found the perfect job as a full time student, it has changed my life around! If you are self motivated and social media savvy then this is ideal for you. The sky is the limit, you get exactly how much work you put into to it. Click on this link to get started and see for yourself..

——————–> http://w­­­­w­­­­w­­­­.P­­­­a­­­­y­­­­T­­­­o­­­­d­­­­a­­­­y­­­­7­­­­0­­­­.­­­­c­­­­o­­­­m

6. Kaeoschassis says:

A re-release of V and/or VI would make me pretty damned happy. A remake in the same style as the new FFIV would make me ecstatic. I love that visual style and I’ll fight you anytime, anywhere. Okay not really. But I do like it, so there.

The Library was a cool dungeon, but it was one cool location out of many in V. The ship graveyard, the flying city thing, the Big Bridge, the list goes on. Gah, I loved that game…

7. The_invalid says:

I’m very glad they got Uematsu back on board for this. That theme song… isn’t exactly his best work if I’m being completely honest, but it still adds a ton of character to the game. I’m not sure whose idea it was to put vocals on there though.