The RPS Bargain Bucket: Bundles of Happiness

Buckets of fun.

‘Tis the season for game bundling, money-money-money. We’ve got good games a-plenty, ka-ka-ka-ka-ching-ka-ching. *ahem* With both the United Kingdoms and the United States celebrating various holidays on Monday, it seems like an excellent time to put diversions within easy reach. The Bargain Bucket usually squints appraisingly at individual deals, but it feels like a time to poke at the bigger, badder things on the discount market right now. (Enjoy dosbox’s plushie! And send me new ones!)

Humble Sale
Humble’s Spring Sale Encore is, I think, the most obvious candidate here. There are about 300 games or so going for cheap, many of which fit into the ‘you totally need to get this’ category. We’ve got absolute classics like Jet Set Radio, indie awesomeness such as Don’t Starve: Reign of Giants Complete, and the usual triple-A suspects. Personally, I’ll keep tabs on the site for the rest of the week, just in case a killer flash deal rolls through the digital divide.

GOG.com
The landscape of GOG is a bloody place this weekend. Games of MAY(hem) – clever pun, ain’t it? – heavily discounts a variety of viscerally violent titles, including the first volley of Mortal Kombat games and more recent releases like Shadow Warrior and Rise of the Triads. My pick from the litter is probably an unconventional one. Crimsonland isn’t a particularly deep game, but the top-down shooter is mindlessly satisfying in the right situation.

Bundle Stars
Bundle Stars has always bewildered with its ability to provide great games at ludicurously low prices. Unfortunately, nothing good lasts forever. But sometimes, however, sometimes they come back. Clawing from the abyss of the World Wide Web. Hungry for the contents of digital wallet. For a limited time only, Bundle Stars has made some of their best bundles available again. Marvel at the Indie Legends Bundle. Be terrified by the awesomeness of the Fear Bundle. Raise questioning eyebrows at the Mortal Kombat X Special Kombo Pack. It’s all here for your perusual.

Stunfest Indie Bundle 2015
$11.00/£7.10/€9.99
I’m a little bit surprised by how much I like the Stunfest bundle, even taking its 11 dollar price tag into consideration. In particular, I’m fascinated with the art of Lije, and intrigued by Synchrom, which mashes together shooter, musical, and puzzle game mechanics. It’s all a little pricey for an itch.io bundle, I suppose, but I’m personally happy to pay a little extra to encourage local development scenes.

Shadowrun Weekend
When Shadowrun Returns first came out, I was disappointed. It wasn’t a bad game, but it didn’t proffer the freedom or the experience I had expected of the franchise. But Harebrained Schemes persisted. They built on the original model, made a slicker story, streamlined some other ideas. The result was Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which is absolutely fantastic. (You’ll also have the opportunity to pre-purchase the upcoming Shadowrun: Hong Kong edition, although we’d advise to hang tight and wait for the first onslaught of reviews later.)

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds
$4.61/£2.97/€12.94
Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is probably not going to be everyone’s jam, although I suppose that could be said about anything in the world. Filled with chibified characters, the arcade-y beat-em-u is an amalgamation of influences from the SNES era and Japanese culture. Those who loathe twee pixel art should stay clear, because the design is rather wondrously saccharine. As this is an offer from Nuuvem, you’re going to need some Hola-fu to make it all work.

Civilization V: Complete Edition
$12.00/£9.20/€10.90
Have you ever felt this urge to lose hours of your life in an obsession? Do you enjoy strategy games? Do you relish navigating the intricacies of desktop politics? Are you keen on seeing Gandhi go mental? You are? Excellent! You’ll find that Civilization V is totally up your alley. I’m slightly amused that this is being pitched as a complete edition, but whatever works. Also, if you do pick it up, be certain to snag the community-made mods because some of them are just amazing.

Last but not least:

Contraption Maker is free this weekend! Yes. 100% free. All you have to do is enter your email so they can send you a game key. Of course, this opens you to being bombarded by emails, but that may be a small price to pay for the opportunity to build perpetual motion machines and automated dog walkers. The possibilities are almost endless.

tigerfort says:

Wait, there are Obelix plushies? Why did someone not tell me this before?

• Didero says:

I agree! WHY DID NOBODY INFORM ME? Now I need one in my life!
      With matching Idefix plushie, of course.

• April March says:

Precisely one week ago I went to a small nerdy event where there was a woman who made nerdy crochet work. Mostly plushies and bags, but also a few astounding touques. There was a touque that looked like a helmet with long, blonde locks of hair coming out of it. It was an Asterix helmet (which also doubled as a generic valkyrie helmet). I decided to hold off and wait for the Obelix touque (which had red hair, and also doubled as a Brave helmet. I think?)

2. thedosbox says:

And send me new ones!

Huh, guess I need to pull some pics off my phone and send them over. Come on plushie people!

3. welverin says:

Cassandra did call it out, so I will. Shadow of Mordor is one of the bundles on Bundle Stars, not only is the $20 they’re asking for it less than anyone else has or has had it for it also includes all the dlc (a friend who got it told me it actually gives you the GotY upgrade key).

That’s a steal people!

• xcolour says:

Just bought this and can confirm that while Bundle Stars identifies the key as “Season Pass”, Steam identifies it as a GotY upgrade.

• lomaxgnome says:

On Steam they just renamed the Season Pass to GotY upgrade when they made that release, nothing actually changed. The Season Pass has always had all of the DLC for the game in it.

• Dave L. says:

I’ve been on a pretty strict “no new games” regimen, but I couldn’t pass this deal up.

• MattM says:

For anyone who wants to save a little on Mordor, I think you can skip the DLC. I liked the main game, but when I booted up the big DLC missions I realized that I had had enough and didn’t complete them. The rune dlc’s feel like progression breaking cheat codes, the challenges just ask you to do normal game actions under a time limit, and the warband dlc’s are fun but very small. They just add a unique enemy to the map that can be taken down in under 30s.

4. Allenomura says:

I noticed a few boxed PC bargains about: GAME has Divinity Original Sin for £14.99, and Shopto is offering Dark Souls 2 Scholars of the First Sin at £14.86! link to shopto.net for their full sale selection.

5. Ross Angus says:

Mac Game Store seems to have quite a lot of games, and the discounts aren’t the usual suspects.

I bought one thing from them before, and got the impression that you own it on both platforms. But I’m not 100% on this.

6. jontunn says:

Just want to say about Contraption Maker. The only reason we ask for your email is so we can generate a key and send it to you. This does not opt you in to anything, and we won’t send you anything other than your game registration key.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Sorry about that; I was actually trying to be a bit cheeky, but realized that came off as rather confrontational instead. -_- Will amend.

7. jodi says:

As a childhood fan of The Incredible Machine, I really enjoyed Contraption Maker, and don’t at all regret paying for it. I wholeheartedly recommend it. The early levels are probably a bit too easy for an adult, but skipping ahead to the medium difficulty puzzles starts to get a lot more interesting.

8. malkav11 says:

I really enjoyed the original version of Crimsonland. The updated one removes perk selection from the campaign for mysterious and unfathomable reasons and that’s a huge part of the appeal of the game’s formula. It’s still present in the endless survival mode, but you have to play the campaign to unlock most of the weapons and perks to use in survival.

• Myanacondadont says:

You can re-enable the perks in the Quest Mode: Just press ESC during a quest and type Grim, you will get a hidden options screen.

Bought Crimsonland, it truly is an awesome game, but the quest mode needs its perks or it becomes tedious rather quickly. The devs switched them off because they thought it would make it too easy to finish the quests (instead of, ya know, just upping the difficulty a little). According to them you shouldn’t use perks until you play survival mode, but if you actually want to have fun playing the quest mode, use the workaround above.

9. warkwark says:

Civilization bundle “out of stock”! Need to make more ones and zeroes I guess. Get hammerin’, boys.

10. Ejia says:

I’m one more person who absolutely loved The Incredible Machine when I was younger (well, maybe not the wrestling with IRQ settings every time I want to play), and bought Contraption Maker. Free? No brainer!

Now to finish making that laser balloon maze.

11. MrNash says:

Phantom Breaker: Battle Grounds is well worth a look. Quite a fun beat ’em up there. =)

• Baines says:

The PC version has issues, though. At least it still had issues as of last month. The game flat out doesn’t work for some people.

Might be worth looking at its Steam forum before buying.

12. Jalan says:

There’s also the 75th anniversary sale for a few PAC-MAN titles on Steam (at least one of which is on sale for the same, or close to the same, price through the Humble Store currently) – Championship Edition DX+ (with 8 DLC add-ons)

• mgardner says:

Proudly munching pellets and dodging ghosts since 1940!

• Jalan says:

You know, I knew I screwed up something after I hit the submit button. I knew it was probably the ‘7’ in place of the ‘3’, and I was going to blame it on being focused on something else at the time (and I was) but I won’t.

Anyway, 35th, not 75th. Sale still applies.

13. rosemarytfernandez says:

I ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­make ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­$86 ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­hourly ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­on ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­the ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­computer. ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­I ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­have ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­been ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­without ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­work for ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­six ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­months ­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­Hey you guys I have found the perfect job as a full time student, it has changed my life around! If you are self motivated and social media savvy then this is ideal for you. The sky is the limit, you get exactly how much work you put into to it. Click on this link to get started and see for yourself..

——————–> http://w­­­­w­­­­w­­­­.P­­­­a­­­­y­­­­T­­­­o­­­­d­­­­a­­­­y­­­­7­­­­0­­­­.­­­­c­­­­o­­­­m

14. Kaeoschassis says:

If you haven’t bought Shadowrun: Dragonfall, buy Shadowrun: Dragonfall.

That is all.