The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing 3 Released

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing III [official site], an action-RPG based off of Bram Stoker’s Dracula which is inspired by a Tinder date I once went on is now out on Steam.

You can watch it in action below: there’s a civil war in Borgovia, and the city has seen a rise in weird guys prophesizing the end times. As you can probably tell from the trailer, the series is cut from similar cloth to Diablo, which is demonstrated through the maniacal hack and slashing throughout. The final entry includes four-player co-op and eight-player PvP, and you get six new classes. But perhaps most exciting of all is the fact that the game’s producer is named Zoltán, and that is also the name of my dog.

Van Helsing 3 comes from a little Hungarian studio called NeocoreGames, who have been toiling in the mines of strategy games since 2009. Their output is astounding. They’ve made seven games in six years, during which time the team also had 14 additional releases in the shape of DLC. With that in mind, this is the last of the trilogy, and if you bought at least one of the last two games then you’ll get 20 percent off the $14.99. price tag. A little love for loyalty, you see.

1. DrTalos says:

Reading this, I discovered I had no interest in Van Helsing 3, but I enjoyed the experience nonetheless.

2. ZIGS says:

They sure are crapping these out at an alarming rate, aren’t they?

• trashmyego says:

They’re all meant to be considered part of the same game. Instead of taking on a development they didn’t have the budget to sustain, they broke it into three pieces. At $15 a piece (or less if you purchased each one) that’s not exactly asking much for what you get. And considering that they’re the first developer to make their ARPG combat feel unique in… good lord how long? I’m happy it’s played out for them.

• airmikee says:

Once a year is alarming?

Really?

• Chris Wray says:

Hardly alarming when you consider Ubisoft quite literally “Craps” out over two Assassin’s Creed games a year now.
      I played the first Van Helsing game, I enjoyed it quite a bit actually. Never got around to playing the second due to commitments elsewhere. Playing the third now.

Maybe you’d be right that they are releasing games in general at a surprisingly fast rate for a smaller development studio, but fair play to Neocore in that all of their games are surprisingly well fleshed out and good. The Van Helsing games were made in a smart way, creating three entries at a reasonable price increases the chances that you wont price yourself out of the market than if you create one entry at a high price.

• Chris Wray says:

I should also say and clarify – I know Ubisoft are a massive company and that it has different development teams working on different AC titles. A better example would be Scott Cawthon and the fact he’s released three Five Nights at Freddy’s games in the space of nine months.

• Razumen says:

FNAF and AssCreed are completely different titles though, one is a huge AAA title, and the other a small, very short indie title, you could finish each Five Nights at Freddy’s game in an evening’s worth of playtime

3. thomir says:

I’ve been playing through releases 1 & 2, and I have to say: I’m impressed. It’s a pretty straight-forward dungeon-crawler-hack-and-slash type affair, but compares favourably with the torchlight series, for example.

The UI is a little rough around the edges, and I still haven’t discovered how to use some of the game mechanics (WTF do I use essences for? or the artifact forge?), but for the cheap price tag, it’s an enjoyable little distraction. I’ll be buying #3 as well.

4. aliksy says:

Does this one have keyboard movement? I know mouse-to-move is classic, but I’m not fond of it.

• EhexT says:

It has the best controls any ARPG ever had. So yes, it has keyboard movement. It also has mouse movement. It has gamepad controls too. And all the non-gamepad controls are fully customizable and can be used at the same time.

5. trn says:

I highly recommend this series to arpg fans. I sank over 100 hours into the first game alone. Neocore are really nice devs and they deserve credit for sterling unsung work while the rest of the industry fiddles. I will be getting this immediately.

6. tumbleworld says:

This is the series with a bunch of baked-in tower defence, isn’t it?

• Creeping Death says:

I havent played 2 yet, but from what I remember of 1 there was only one base defence section that was mandatory in the entire game and it really wasnt that hard or long.

• Creeping Death says:

Bah, no edit button. I was going to add that with the release of Deathtrap earlier this year (which seems to me, without having played it, to be the Van Helsing defence spun into it’s own game) I wonder if it means Van Helsing 3 has no defence sections.

7. Lachlan1 says:

“based off of”…. based on. Wtf has happened to this site? I’m done here

8. subedii says:

So there’s something that typically trips me up with ARPG’s and I’m wondering whether this does things differently.

Basically they all tend to give you access to a large-ish skill tree with a variety of abilities. However, what the player is expected to do is to put all their skill points into maxing out 2 or maybe 3 abilities in order to be effective, and using solely those throughout the entire game.

Frankly, this has always lead to the gameplay getting fairly stale fairly fast for me. The only real option for trying out different play styles and abilities is to spend another 100 hours leveling up another character (either of a different class or even just the same class but making use of different abilities).

So I’m wondering whether this game deviates somewhat from that, or whether it follows the traditional formula.

I would also appreciate if comments along the lines of “you’re doing it wrong” or “that’s the fun of the game you fool” are left to the wayside (some people seem to treat this idea as if it’s antithetical to how the fun of these games is meant to manifest). I’m not making a value judgement of how you like to play, I’m merely asking whether this one has greater options for variety of play on a single character (or else, I suppose the other possibility is that leveling up is fast and doesn’t require a tonne of grinding from scratch each time).

I do like the fact that this appears to have direct character control, so that’s already a positive in my book.

• lovcol says:

I don’t know about this one, but Diablo 3 lets you swap skills at any time. It’s great.

• subedii says:

I know, but I was intrigued by this because of the direct control. And I don’t think that’s something that D3 could get away with on the PC owing to the way that all the logic’s running server-side.

Funnily enough, it feels like the console version of D3 is the better version.

• MazokuRanma says:

Oh man did I totally screw up my first D2 character doing exactly what you mentioned. I saw all the sweet talents and was just pointing points in all the trees. This resulted in a character with all kinds of cool abilities that hit about as hard as a wet noodle. I had to start over and specialize, which then became spamming the same two spells over and over.

• Hmm-Hmm. says:

That’s exactly what I dislike most about games with that. It basically requires you to read up first or learn the hard way which things are better than others. Whether that be skills or ability points.

• commentingaccount says:

That’s what save editors are for! :D

• Kitsunin says:

Yeah, they are lovely, and the lack of them is the reason I can’t play Path of Exile. I mean, I guess it’s meant to be replayed so you can go and try something new, or make up for big specialization errors, but holy shit does that idea not respect my time.

I mean, I like Path of Exile way more than Torchlight 2 in terms of how it plays, but one’s openness actually respects my time, so I know which I’m gonna pick.

• JohnS says:

God yes this! What’s the point of rich character customization possibilities if I am so limited in the actual choices I can realistically make? In multiplayer there’s the need to differentiate your character from others, but if I’m only interested in single player, do these types of game have anything to offer?

• Alness says:

IIRC the first game had a NPC who would reset all your skill points, which sounds like it addresses that problem. It also helps that the game isn’t nearly as long as others of it’s genre (which is something either for or against it, depending on who you’re asking). But, yeah, I agree, I don’t understand how some people see “re-spec” options as heretical to the genre. I once had a friend nearly foam at the mouth when I mentioned I saw a official mod for Torchlight 2 that allowed you to re-spec.

DelrueOfDetroit says:

This is why I appreciate being able to reset your character during the game. Especially when there are certain classes that are just more fun to play with as others. The magic archer from Dragon’s Dogma comes to mind. The game felt like it was designed for that class.

9. RecycledKaos says:

There’s an interesting feature in this game series that I wish all ARPGs had. That is, it lets you use wasd movement controls which make the game so much more fast paced. Does this mean that most arpgs are secretly top down shooters with mouse only controls?

• Baranor says:

Yes. I figured this out around D1 I think. It gets more visible with D2… there are some areas there which are totally sidescroll.

10. vahnn says:

I like how they showed 6 new classes and it was 6 dudes standing still and slowly rotating while shooting lasers.

11. Anthile says:

I don’t know about the title. He seems like a pretty credible guy at this point. The kind of guy you lend money at the bus station.

12. Delora says:

It’s funny how much unnoticeable was this game before it was released. I’ve barely found any news about it, only few weeks ago I’ve heard for the first time that there’s a new game from this franchise.