Everybody Hurts: Game Of Thrones Episode 4 Out Tuesday

Telltale Games’ Game of Thrones [official site] series is the methadone to which I supplement my HBO habit, so imagine me with a pleasing grin as I write that Episode 4: Sons of Winter will launch this week on May 26th.

And boy howdy does it look like things suck for the family Forrester. Stuff “hangs in the balance,” threatens a pre-launch trailer. Gared is leaving Castle Black and heading beyond the wall. Mira is scheming over at King’s Landing. Asher is hanging around the slave city of Meereen. Start humming the theme song to Dynasty at any point as you watch the trailer below.

Sons of Winter is the fourth of six episodes, which seem to be coming out at a steady pace so far. Episode 3 was released just a month ago, in fact. In other news, the series appears to have brought some life to Alec’s cold, dead heart.

1. Dawngreeter says:

I’ve asked this when episode 1 came out and there were no real definitive answers, so I figured I’d ask again on the off chance that someone can say something with certainty at this point…

Is this at all compatible with the books, or is it solely in the domain of the now completely divergent TV land?

• Saul says:

It’s definitely a spin-off of the TV series, selection of official cast and all. Given that the featured noble family are basically a footnote from the books, it’s likely that very little of it will strongly clash with the plot of the novels, but I’m sure there will be some stuff that does. It’s probably impossible to make it entirely compatible with both.

• blackmyron says:

It isn’t really compatible with the books, no. People have taken a reference to “Forrester” in a book as a sign that it is, but that was in a list of ‘houses’ in the North that were little more than clans in the wilderness that swore allegiance to Deepwood Motte – a far cry from what we see in the game. And their rivals aren’t mentioned in the slightest.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

lol, the books. Thank goodness the TV series diverged as it did, I don’t think I could bear to be dragged through the repetitive bloated dross of the 4th and 5th books again in visual format. The games definitely have the right idea by not trying to retell the same story from the same perspective.

2. Saul says:

Oh goody – we just finished episode 3 a few days back. I do the keyboard acrobatics while my partner handles the mouse. It’s really good – on par with Walking Dead season 1, I’d say.

3. quarpec says:

god DAMN that’s ugly

• manny says:

Not only is it ugly but has really high pc requirements. How am i supposed to play it on my cheapo laptop? Animation sucks too. Why can’t they just use the Unity engine? Better graphics and cheaper dev costs. Their games are glorified cutscenes, so it’s not like they need the source code. Cryengine is practically free with source code included.

• manny says:

Telltale adds Unity CEO John Riccitiello to it’s board of directors, so very likely they are moving to the Uniity engine. Hopefully they update the entire GOT series of games with their new engine cause the dodgy graphics/animation is a turn off to what is essentially a interactive video game movie.

4. kikito says:

Rastafarian Targaryen in Soundtrack or NO SALE.