2K Games Teasing New Game With Daft Website

2K Games are going to announce a new game soon. You can tell because the publishers are tweeting links to a faux-hacked website covered with concept art of sci-fi cityscapes. That and we can pretty much guarantee every publisher will be announcing a new game soon. E3 is only weeks away, after all. This 2K game will possibly be called Advent, but also possibly not.

And that’s about as much as we know about it. The website is an in-universe advert for some kind of utopian futurecity that promises a “brighter future together”. Hacked-in warnings about missing citizens suggest that might be too good to be true. So, a science-fiction thriller then.

There’s a whiff of ARG about it, but nothing yet suggests that there are any hidden clues linking to information about the game, so it’s likely we’ll have to wait until E3 to hear more about it. What we do know and might speculate is connected is that 2K recently set up Hangar 13, a “super studio” dedicated to “delivering mature experiences loaded with meaningful choices”. They’re also eager to find their next BioShock-sized franchise. Could it be Advent?

If this is Hangar 13’s first game, then that would at least give us reason to be intrigued, but even that is speculation at this point.

1. Sp4rkR4t says:

I saw that picture and my brain jumped straight to “I want to play a new syndicate game.” Then I remember what EA did to that franchise and I had a sad.

Oh that reminds me about that spiritual syndicate successor, how’s that thing coming along?

2. MiniMatt says:

Isometric-ish view and an art style kinda vaguely if-you-squint reminiscent of XCOM. Aliens have invaded and blue-pilled the population?

Long shot I know, regardless I’m holding my breath until a new XCOM game comes out.

• welverin says:

Josh over at EGM speculates that it is a new XCOM, possible inspired by Apocalypse. He’s got some reasoning and a bit of evidence to support it.

3. Mogglewump says:

I also immediately thought Syndicate when I saw that image – we can but wish.

4. melnificent says:

Fingers crossed for the modern xcom turn based engine in a new IP. Because hoping for a new game in the series, like everyone wants, seems to be too much of an ask for 2k.

5. Bull0 says:

XCOM Apocalypse remake. Got to be. The font in the second screen on that twitter picture is straight out of XCOM EU

• Bull0 says:

This picture specifically link to twitter.com

• Lenderz says:

Fonts are XCOMy – Spinning Globe is XCOMy – the ‘glitches’ in the text say “We are still watching” which is XCOMy (We will be watching commander). Dear god please be another XCOM.

I might be projecting my desire for more XCOM on it, but golly I hope thats what it is.

• Typhoone says:

The XCOM subreddit is blowing up with theories linking this tease to a new XCOM: Apocalypse re-make as well.

• Bull0 says:

Oh, cool. I should sub to that. I didn’t really know there was an XCOM subreddit. Thanks!

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

I think a *remake* of Apocalypse is probably way too complex to hope for with their design ethos of boardgame’y streamlining.
      But still, a competent sequel to their first attempt – yes please! Just some random replayability surprises this time and less of the linear binary choice strategic progression. More, better strategic layer stuff. :)

basilisk says:

Indeed. Apocalypse’s geoscape was too complicated for its own good, whereas the new XCOM went way too far in the other direction. Those two approaches really don’t mesh together in any way, but it would be great if they found a point halfway between the two.

If this actually is XCOM, of course. It might not be. The whole thing is a bit generic.

• Bull0 says:

Reboot, reimagining, whatever. I know, I know, any excuse to slang XCOM EU for being so dumbed down, blah blah blah

• Bull0 says:

That^ came out more lary than intended.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Don’t get me wrong. I enjoy the reboot and its expansion a great deal and I’ve been a fan of the original three since ye olde days. :)
          Different times and audiences, I respect what they did with the reboot and don’t think they “dumbed” it down. but I still believe they went too far with the streamlining of the geoscape. The first playthrough was excellent but the replayability suffered compared to the old games. I don’t have any complaints about the tactical parts (except a few technical issues) where most of the play time is spent anyway.

• Bull0 says:

Yeah, I totally agree. I really like the tactical combat but the geoscape game isn’t as good as it could be.

6. Penguin_Factory says:

This is almost certainly not going to be the case, but when I first saw a big technology-driven city and a heavy emphasis on gene therapy my immediate thought was “post-Irrational Bioshock project”.

7. Orija says:

Chuckled at the title.

8. MrNash says:

As much as I’d like them to come up with a new franchise, I’m getting a fair bit of an XCOM vibe from that website.

9. Mezmorki says:

Yeah, this is for XCOM: Unknown Apocalpyse Within

10. Punning Pundit says:

If/when a new Xcom arrives, I want the opposition to be playing their own game by their own rules, and having a possibility of winning.

11. Banks says:

If this is XCOM I’ll be super happy.

12. santouryuu says:

seeing mentions of DNA Slicing in their “in-universe” ad pamphlet
    “Our Gene Therapy is the culmination of decades of research and development.Now we’ve achieved the impossible-a revolution in DNA splicing.Augmenting your DNA allows us to cure your diseases and free your body from its physical manifestations

13. kud13 says:

“The Bureau set in Apocalypse’s city”

Or a brand new IP.

But probably another FPS

14. quietone says:

I’d say it’s going to be a Dry Cleaning Service Simulator.

Can’t wait.

15. wu wei says:

2K are dead to me while they continue to gouge Australians.

• Aetylus says:

Yup – what we know for sure about this game is that Australasians will be paying twice what anyone in the US/EU/Everywhere-else is.

16. icecreamjones says:

The medical PDF metadata (before 2k noticed and scrubbed the metadata and put up a new version) used a font called XCOM-Regular.

Also the font looks quite a lot like the logo of the aliens in Apocalypse.
    link to ufopaedia.org