Just ‘Cause: Grand Theft Auto V Grappling Hook Mod

Just a spot of friendly grappling.

As cool ways to get around go, grappling hooks are up there with skateboards and motorbikes. Unlike boards and bikes, however, the super-rad accidents grappling hooks cause won’t have you lose significant patches of your skin. Not your own, anyway.

You can now grapple around San Andreas to your hearts’ content in Just Cause 2 style, swinging to buildings and tying vehicles together, thanks to a mod for Grand Theft Auto V [official site].

Creator JulioNIB released the Just Cause 2 Grappling hook mod over the weekend and yup, that name about says it all. Like the hook in Avalanche’s open-world mischief simulator, the mod’s hook lets folks latch onto things and give them a hearty pull – shooting to the top of buildings, latching onto passing cars, jerking people around, or… I’m sure you can come up with hijinks of your own – as well as pin two things together.

You can, if you want, attach a load of cars to a helicopter and marvel as the physics engine and AI try to solve a conundrum they never anticipated. Cops never expect grappling hooks. Have a look:

The download is over here and installation instructions are this-a-way.

We recently had a look at other wonderful and/or silly GTA mods, if you fancy larking about more. Just Cause 3, meanwhile, is due around the end of this year.

1. Ross Angus says:

Good lord, that is amazing. I think modders only need to add jetpacks and a double-jump, and RPS will give the game Horace/10.

2. padger says:

Wow! How come modding is so much more amazing for this GTA that previous ones?

3. desolation0 says:

Enjoyed seeing all the graceful landings by the player. I’d probably scream my head off too if I was grappling head first towards a skyscraper at 70 miles per hour.

4. User100 says:

It looks like a fun mod, but really — either donate or fill out a survey to download it???
    Is that the way GTA mods are going now?
    And if so, you can keep’em…

• ButteringSundays says:

I don’t want to use the word ‘greed’, because frankly anyone creating anything for any reason is entitled to request compensation for it – but the worst thing about trends like this is that I think it’s probably for nothing. They’re not going to make enough money* for it to be worth putting the barrier in place, and aren’t likely to make enough to cover the time and resources it’s taken to produce the work – so why bother?

If they’re using some kind of third-party gratification system (the survey you mentioned makes me think this) then they’re likely just enriching someone else, and clawing in a few bucks at the cost of inconveniencing the people that want to enjoy their work (and garner reactions like yours).

*This is an educated guess, most indie devs struggle to turn a profit, so a mod maker using a third party monetisation system I feel is unlikely to get there. But hey, this is a grapple hook on GTA V, so who knows!

• Xzi says:

To be fair, a required survey is a minor inconvenience at best when the end result is adding grappling hooks to GTA V. I’d prefer if it wasn’t a trend across mods for any game, but I also doubt that it will suddenly become one. As long as it’s just for one fun-looking mod, complaining about losing ten seconds of your time (you can just click random BS answers after all) falls firmly under the category of first-world problems.

• pepperfez says:

I can’t really see the downside? Some people buy it, the modder makes a few bucks, and then if sales/surveys slip s/he releases it for free. The people who payed were paying for early access, which they got. I certainly prefer that approach to tying things into a long-term monetization scheme with a platform owner.

• User100 says:

Except, this guy is basing his mod on the ScriptHookVDotNet plugin, which was developed by someone else, and given to the community for free.
          Without that plugin there would be no Grapple Hook mod, but he nevertheless has the gall to ask for money for his few script lines, that rely on other people’s work.
          I wouldn’t mind someone asking for money if they did all the work themselves, but that is clearly not the case here — just some pure, selfish greed.

• pepperfez says:

Oh, that’s pretty shady then. On the other hand, it raises the chances of someone creating a free clone and putting them out of business.

• LogicalDash says:

Can you get ScriptHookVDotNet free of charge elsewhere?

I don’t see the issue, then.

• SooSiaal says:

But it is not “this guy” that put the pay or survey option there,it is gta5base. A while ago I received an email from a gta 5 modding site before the game was out on pc, I can’t remember if it was this one or not, but they were offering money to modders if they would upload their work to their site (to guarantee quality mods and whatnot). Seeing how I only released 1 mod for gta4 I ignored it,thinking it was spam..

Hodge says:

This is freaking glorious.

6. MrNash says:

Woo! Now I can sing the old Spider Man theme song while playing. Finally a reason to buy this game!