Binding Of Isaac: Rebirth Expansion Adding Daily Runs

Remember that time I said “if The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth adds daily challenges, I will ditch every commitment short of a funeral to hit the day’s run.” Well! To my friends, my family, lovers, acquaintances, colleagues, rivals, and enemies, I apologise. I shall bail on you all soon.

The ‘Afterbirth’ expansion for The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth will add daily runs with leaderboards, co-creator Edmund McMillen has announced. Like in Spelunky, Nuclear Throne, and many more roguelikelikes, daily challenges let everyone compete by playing on the same set of levels.

McMillen explained:

“What does this mean? Well every day the game will generate a specific seed that will be generated the same for everyone (minus locked things) and you can now compete against the internet for best score in the run! This feature was one of my favorites in Spelunky and I always wanted to do it in Isaac… but how do you score a game like Isaac? more on that in a later post…”

They won’t be perfect competition, as folks who’ve unlocked rare and powerful items might get a big advantage, but heck, I can’t complain about that. Binding of Isaac dailies, y’all!

McMillen also showed off two new items coming in Afterbirth. Sadly, we’re still short a release date.

I’ll see you on the leaderboards, and you’d better get used to that, as we’ve established you’ll mostly be seeing me fleeing crying “I forgot about today’s daily!”

(For those of you keeping track, I’m up to 151 secrets of 178. I might stop casually playing whatever and try to unlock specific items. I really don’t want to start on The Lost though, not until Afterbirth makes him less awful by starting him with spectral tears and the D4.)

1. Choca says:

Curious to see what type of scoring they intend to use.

• aerozol says:

A ‘daily runs beaten in a row’ leaderboard would ruin lives, for sure.

Hodge says:

Holy fuck I’m doomed O-O.

3. Murf says:

I am screwed. For the last six months, I have been attempting to unlock everything. Once I got to the Lost (and managed to beat the game once), I only lack the rest of his endings plus getting Bandage Girl. I was so addicted – I played this game every day almost. Finally, I broke loose.

But here I am, ready to return again, not only for the expansion, but for a daily reason to boot this damn game up again. Ugh!

X_kot says:

My brain will enjoy playing Isaac dailies…

…but my heart will be waiting for Mewgenics.

5. Delora says:

I started to get little bored with the game, after each run, but now I’ll probably get an extra incentive for giving it more love than usual. ;)

6. liquidsoap89 says:

After over 100 hours I finally managed to get myself away from this game. I will fear for my life when I actually have an incentive to play every day.

7. ravencheek says:

“They won’t be perfect competition, as folks who’ve unlocked rare and powerful items might get a big advantage”

I feel like pointing out that this isn’t true. As a seed will be the exact same items, pills, drops for everyone.

Even if you haven’t unlocked an item you can still find it and use it in a seed run. That’s why achievements are disabled during any seed run.

So it will be a totally fair playing field for everyone.

• Alice O'Connor says:

McMillen sez: “the game will generate a specific seed that will be generated the same for everyone (minus locked things).”

It’s my understanding that people on the same seed can still have different runs. The Rebirth Wiki says the seed 7TWA-YHPC gives you The Body in an item room next to the spawn but no, that’s Mom’s Knife for me because I haven’t unlocked The Body.

The wiki also has a fair few notes on item pages listing seeds with rooms where certain items can be found as long as you haven’t unlocked a specific other item.

8. ninnyjams says:

I love daily runs. I did them for months in Spelunky, and I’m currently in a three-way fight for No. 1 every day on OlliOlli for Xbox One. I really wish Ziggurat would add daily challenges.