Wotcha: More Witcher 3 DLC Released For Free

It's a pretty nice outfit. Nice layering, strong accessorising...

I haven’t posted about The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt [official site] since I started playing it so, as I won’t write any diaries or reviews or thinkpieces about it, please allow me a moment to say: oh my gosh isn’t it great? I only have a few words here so I’ll quickly say I’m delighted to see colours in an 18-rated game. The sunrises, sunsets, days, fields, buildings, decor – everything! it’s all so pretty.

Now, the news: developers CD Projekt RED today released the third and fourth free DLC bits for their RPG, bringing a new outfit for Yennefer and a new quest.

The new quest, Contract: Missing Miners, goes down in Skellige. It’s nice that they’re dropping this fairly late into the game, presumably ahead of where your average players is in the game right now (after 32 hours, I’ve barely scratched Novigrad let alone left for Skellige). I’m willing to bet that something bad has happened to those miners, probably involving a nasty monster Geralt will get to cut to pieces.

As for Yen, she gets a pretty nice alternative outfit with a nice scarf, some excellent plumage, and a little peep of thigh that really highlights the layering and ties the outfit together. If it were all black cotton and had more rings, necklaces, and tattoos, it’d look perfectly at home on one of those teenagers you see so much of nowadays.

If you have The Witcher 3 on GOG, installation instructions are over here. On Steam, just look for the DLC section on The Witcher 3’s game page in your Library and tick the boxes to download it.

RED plan to release sixteen bits of free DLC in all over eight weeks. They only ever announced these plus the already-released armour set and beard styles, so what’ll come next week is a mystery. Two expansions are in the works too, with the first due in October.

1. dangrak says:

Peep o’ thigh

2. Kefren says:

Staring thighs.

3. Synesthesia says:

The gog link goes straight back to this page. Otherwise, yes! I love the colour! Do you remember colours?

4. Sian says:

Beautiful plumage. Must be a Norwegian Blue.

• FurryLippedSquid says:

Pining for the fjords, no doubt.

• Loyal_Viggo says:

“PININ’ for the FJORDS?!?!?!? What kind of talk is that? Look, why did he fall flat on his back the moment I got ‘im home?”

• DragonOfTime says:

Speaking of Norway, it’s funny how several places in Skellige have the names of actual places in Norway, such as Larvik and Lofoten.
      I find this rather fitting, as Skellige really captures the feeling of Norway, it really reminds me of my childhood trips to Norway in the best possible way.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Probably a bit too much though, just like the Norse and Vyking-esque inspiration, with the Jarls and all that. Even Freya is there.

• aleander says:

Nah. At least in Polish it’s perfectly consistent with the tone of both the books and the game. Note that the language is ahistorical to the point of repeating some memes that were stale back in the 90s (again, in Polish), and Polish gets awfully Scandinavian the moment it gets even vaguely nautical. Even villages and towns in certain northern parts of Poland have Scandinavian names. So going full Viking the moment you cross a stream is fitting.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Oh, but it’s not that i don’t like the tone, mind, i actually think Skellige is some serious high point for them, it’s just that all these extremely direct real life/mithology parallels aren’t for everyone’s tastes i guess.

5. Ejia says:

I wanted to say that “free DLC” just used to be referred to as “updates”, but if they’re all optional then I suppose they count as DLC.

• FriendlyFire says:

I think they’re also using the term “DLC” because in many games, that sort of content (new side-quests, new cosmetics) would indeed be paid DLC.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

And if you think about it, the acronym only means a simple thing, a paid one is that which actually needs to be specified!

• Capt. Bumchum McMerryweather says:

Really though, before the advent of DLC, how often did an update have new content?

• Evil Pancakes says:

The only thing I can think of is wehn multiplayer games would add new maps. But that’s about it. Even then I don’t believe they called those part of an “update”. I remember those being called “map packs” or “map addons” and such.
        I’m all for being cynical, but not for distorting past realities. The only reason the past is often regarded as being better is because we were younger and had less shit to worry about.

• MistaJah says:

Battlefield 1942 added several maps. “Monetization” wasn’t around back then in the video game business lingo.

• kaisergav says:

The nearest equivalent is maybe that Morrowind had several small pieces of free content that could be downloaded directly from the website, adding a new small island-dungeon, a quest that added teleporters to the mages’ guild, and feminine armour amongst others. This was all separate from the two expansions Tribunal and Bloodmoon.

• Cinek says:

It was relatively common in strategy games, eg. Total Annihilation, Earth-series or Civilization II, back from the days before civilization was all about buying a streak of DLCs. Plenty of multiplayer shooters did too, most obvious and notable examples being Unreal Tournament 2003 and Counter Strike, but even newer Borderlands got some bits in a patches.

Adding new content in patches wasn’t anything uncommon before the age of DLCs.

6. Aetherna says:

So why exactly couldn’t they just add this in a patch? This one even has a toggle option in-game so it’s not like it’s something you maybe don’t want to download.

The only thing this achieves is cluttering up the DLC list on Steam.

• Zenicetus says:

Several reasons to not do it as a patch, I think:

It’s good marketing and P.R. It encourages people to think CDPR are one of the good guys (which they are), and not nickel-and-dime’ing people with minor DLC at (or near) release, like some other companies. Maybe you’ll consider paying for future expansion-level DLC when they’ve already given you all this “free” stuff, etc.

Most of this is probably content that wasn’t quite ready for release, and now they’ve had time to finish it. If it was released as a patch, the game might be seen as being incomplete or rushed, with “missing content.”

Many people never read patch notes. They might miss the addition of some of this content if it was buried in patch notes.

gritz says:

Boo hoo my poor disorganized steam DLC list

how dare they give me free content

• Cinek says:

Because if Bethesda can sell horse armor as a DLC then I see no reason why Yennefer armor couldn’t be a free one.

7. K_Sezegedin says:

The aesthetic of Witcher 2/3 is so good, – its like they smashed together the dark ages and the high renaissance, hired the gayest costume designer ever, then optimized the whole thing with a sexy pass.

8. montorsi says:

Oh look, they are giving us stuff that they’ve had ready for weeks if not months before release. What generous people. Yes, this would be me rolling my eyes at more of their cynical PR bullshit.

• mattevansc3 says:

If it was anyone but CDPR forums would be in a frothing rage.

I do agree with that this seems very cynical, almost like they deliberately cut content just so that they could go “look at how nice we are giving stuff away for free that others charge for”. Whether its paid for or not its still the same principle. While we shouldn’t be as enraged as if it were premium DLC we also shouldn’t be congratulating them for their “generosity”.

As good as the game looks I’ll be honest in saying how CDPR have handled the release of Witcher 3 has put me off them quite a bit.

GOG were happy enough to evangelise their stance on regional pricing, even going as far as to make videos mocking their competition that used regional pricing. Yet when it came to their own game they were fine with putting in a regional pricing model, closing down loopholes and telling off partners that dared tell customers how to use those loopholes.

Then there was the key selling furore. CDPR refused to sell keys to 3rd party sellers and then threw some very nasty accusations at them after they sourced their own keys. Not talking about dodgy sites like CDKeys but reputable sellers such as GreenManGaming. It also seems a bit of a coincidence that this is one of the most expensive games to come out on PC as of late and having no “legitimate” competition means CDPR can keep that price high.

• ninnyjams says:

Do you not understand how game development on this scale works? The game was done weeks and months ago. Once the game goes gold they then have a development team that is supposed to do what? The game is finished, then they have to press the discs, they have to complete all of the trimmings around what they consider “content complete.” So a lot of studios are basically dormant between game being finished and game being launched. This is all content that was worked on during that period, not content that they finished two weeks before release and could have somehow magically placed it on the already-pressed discs and into the already-finished PC build, potentially causing compatibility issues and spawning a whole new layer of testing. This is EXACTLY how this should be handled in every way.

• mattevansc3 says:

Do you work for CDPR and did you help develop The Witcher 3?

• pepperfez says:

This is a supremely wacky inquisition.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Both of your claims are completely unsubstantiated, but at least his/hers isn’t completely grumpy and unpleasant.

• ninnyjams says:

Completely unsubstantiated? Do a little research, maybe. Studios waste a ton of money on talent with not a whole lot to do between the game being finished and the game being released. That’s not an opinion, that’s not a guess, that’s a fact.

• Solidstate89 says:

What are you talking about unsubstantiated? They’ve had plenty of developers from several different development houses tell the press that this is exactly how DLC works.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Ninnyjams, my point is that we don’t know exactly how this dlc was made or why. My point, which I thought was very obvious, is that it’s completely silly to be grumpy about it either way.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Ninnyjams, my point is that we don’t know exactly how this dlc was made or why. My other point, which I thought was very obvious, is that it’s completely silly to be grumpy about it either way.

• Orija says:

I am a software engineer, and he’s right. You certainly do not need artists and game designers in the months before the game goes gold.

• Aetherna says:

Yeah, this is cynical as hell and everyone is praising them for it. Oh well.

• Aetherna says:

It’s like if Skyrim was released without one questline or whatever which then was released as free DLC a week or so after release. Man, Bethesda would be such good guys!

gritz says:

Yeah it would be crazy if something like that ever happened!

OH WAIT
          link to store.steampowered.com

gritz says:

HOW DARE those cowards at bethesda intentionally downgrade their game’s graphics for consoles and then release high definition textures months later as “FREE DLC” like they’re being so benevolent! My outrage!

• mattevansc3 says:

Well nobody praised EA for doing that with Dragon Age 2 and that was a Day One DLC ;-)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

To be fair, a downgrade is hardly about textures, which can even be “easily” modded anyway. Bethesda modified their crappy Gamebryo a little bit and called a new revolutionary engine. Now THAT is a good joke.

Take TW3 for example, the only thing that remained of that old 2013 trailer is textures.

• Cinek says:

You’re still talking about that one trailer from years ago? Get over yourself and either play damn game or GTFO.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

I am playing and enjoying the game, greatly, but maybe surprisingly to you i can still absolutely find issues in some things.

I don’t care about the downgrade, i care about the lack of an admission of it before the game released. Just like i’m waiting for the 980ti to release and it’s still impossible to confirm if Nvidia did the same ROPs cutting and memory splitting of the 970. On June the 2nd it’ll be unveiled to the public, samples are being sent for review and if they keep their mouth shout again i’ll absolutely have a problem with them too.

Dishonest marketing is a problem in itself, if your silence helped snatching a couple more costumers you are a shady dealer, no matter how you cut it.

• ffordesoon says:

I think people are lauding CDPR for releasing stuff anyone else would have charged for for free. It doesn’t make sense to be against free stuff because it wasn’t in the game at launch, especially since this stuff is largely cosmetic and the launch game has 200+ hours of content. Yes, there is undoubtedly a marketing-focused aspect to the way this DLC is being released; releasing the content two at a time instead of all at once guarantees one article a week on games blogs for the next eight weeks, and it’s possible (though unlikely) they had it all ready by the time the main game launched.

The thing is, I don’t care. Because it’s free, and I’m getting it all eventually. Is this potentially somewhat disingenuous and cynical as a marketing strategy? Maybe. But, you know, they’re selling a product, and they need to market it. That they chose to do so in a way that doesn’t cost me any more than I’ve already spent means they absolutely do deserve good press, as far as I’m concerned. Because no matter how disingenuous it is, it’s still free, and that’s worthy of praise in this industry.

• mattevansc3 says:

Its very likely it was done before release as they announced this DLC back in November last year;
        link to thewitcher.com

When the DLC is road mapped that far in advance it does raise the question over whether this content was designed purely for the DLC and wouldn’t have existed otherwise or is it content that was meant to be in game and someone in marketing decided it was best to rip it out and make it DLC.

I appreciate its free but by sites like RPS dedicating webpages to discussing road planned DLC for a game it legitimises the whole concept of pre-planned launch window DLC.

There are plenty of devs and publishers who support their games through a stream of post release additions via patches that aren’t given the same amount of admiration.

• pepperfez says:

So, report on literally every last thing or on none of it?

• ArSo says:

Well, its the one of the best games this year already. Is it so strange to give it that much attention ?

Of course the DLC are. besides more content for fans, a marketing move. Why would they not do marketing to promote their best game ? And I must say I like this kind of marketing, giving me free stuff, more, than the kind that just plays adds on webpages or tv or other kind that give me nothing.

Also, I dont think that right to call them out on having planned those DLCs in November already. Of course companies make plans for their development teams. They knew some of their departments will be free during and before the launch of the game and they planned what they could make during that time for more promotion for this game.

• Lanessar says:

Raises suspicions? How?

I don’t think I’ve seen a single AAA game released where there wasn’t some sort of paid DLC post-release, most of it day one.

This, at the least, is free. If it was Ubisoft or EA, I think we’d be paying 5.99 for a “beard pack”.

• derbefrier says:

nothing wrong with knowing how to play your audience. Its a marketing strategy for sure but its also free so does it really matter?

9. Sarfrin says:

Thanks guys. I was thinking about buying this but now I know how evil CDPR are I’ll keep my money. Where is John “are you a pathological liar” Walker when you need him? Attacking poor Peter Molyneux for simply not keeping any of his promises instead of dealing with this horrible company who cynically exploit their loyal customers by openly adding free stuff to their games. Deal with the REAL issues RPS!

• Monggerel says:

Gotta admit, John “John ‘Are you a pathological liar?’ Walker” Walker is a pretty catchy name.

• pepperfez says:

That fell quite comfortably under the Gamers’ Corollary to Poe’s Law.