Roar! Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn Stomps Out

Hey buddy! Don't worry, this'll... actually, yeah, it probably will sting a lot.

If you want to shoot dinosaurs in their extinct faces, your interests are catered to now more than ever. With Ark: Survival Evolved, The Hunter: Primal, The Stomping Land, Orion: Prelude, Primal Carnage: Extinction, Crytek’s new tech demo, and more, it’s chockablockasauraus out there. If dinogames could be a bit better (or not a total shambles, in some cases) that’d be nice.

Now the Carnivores series, which started on PC in the ’90s then wandered onto pocket telephones and consoles, has returned to its old stomping grounds with the release of Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn [official site].

It’s described as the sequel to Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter, though series creators Action Forms are not involved. But look, the idea’s something pretty simple that presumably other people can get right: you have a sniper rifle, crossbow, tranquilliser gun, and sidearms, and are hunting dinosaurs because reasons. This being the tensies, there’s an app for that – your phone can help track dinosaurs. There you are, in an open world filled with herbivorous and carnivorous dinosaurs, trying to murder (or knock out?) as many as you please. That’s it, and what I still hear many cries for. This looks a bit janky, but who am I to judge? It’s certainly not what I’d want to do with dinosaurs.

I’d like a game where you can roughhouse with them. Me in the ferns with a load of ankylosaurs, or going on pleasant hikes with a friendly parasaurolophus. If only you could talk to the dinosaurs – with some kind of dinosaur whistle, I mean. Ark certainly goes hard on riding dinosaurs, at least.

Developers Digital Dreams Entertainment failed to Kickstart Carnivores: Dinosaur Hunter Reborn last year, but the game’s still made it out, now on Steam for £10.99.

1. Wulfram says:

Quite a lot of herbivores. But maybe it’s the player who is the carnivore.

2. Dilapinated says:

Where are my feathers. :<

3. Hedgeclipper says:

There seem to be quite a few games that failed Kickstarter but came out anyway, which seems odd to me.

• Unclepauly says:

Because secretly we all know kickstarter is mainly a cashgrab to buffer the wallets. I’d wager 15% is used in the proper fashion. Along the same lines as american tax dollars.

• Psychomorph says:

Released failed Kickstarter games suck, because of the failed Kickstarter.

4. Ejia says:

If dinosaurs are going to be the new zombies, I approve.

5. Ferno says:

Wow, I used to play a free version of Carnivores my dad got in a collection from his work many years back. There were a number of silly features such as aztec temples etc. My favourite thing to do was mess with the awful pathfinding of the tyrannosaurs, luring them to snowy mountains before watching them freak out all over the place trying to get up. It was never really clear if it was set in a virtual reality of not but it seemed fairly cruel to me!

• Moogie says:

As I recall, it was an alien planet that was repurposed by a company that populated it with genetically-resurrected dinosaurs. You were a visitor paying to hunt there and take trophies back home.

Loved this game as a kid, though I’m not sure why. I love dinosaurs– I don’t love killing them! Sadly that seems to be the only purpose of dinosaur games these days. But the original Carnivores (and possible C2?) had a non-lethal game mode that used tranquilizers instead of real ammo. That was always my favourite mode to play. :)

6. kikito says:

I think it would be more interesting without the hunting bits.

7. Solidstate89 says:

So many colons(:).

8. Sarfrin says:

That trailer made me feel sad. Why would you want to do that, of all things, with a world full of dinosaurs?

9. ResonanceCascade says:

I’m shocked and upset at the number of people here who don’t enjoy shooting dinosaurs in the face. It’s my 14th favorite activity, just below watching Antiques Roadshow and just below spelunking.

10. Drinking with Skeletons says:

There are two dinosaur-themed games I’m keeping an eye on right now.

First is Prehistoric Kingdom, which looks to be vying for the title of Successor to Operation Genesis. It looks to be in fairly decent shape, with a tech demo coming out in June. Cautiously optimistic.

The second is Saurian, which I guess I’d describe as a dinosaur simulator. It’s a survival game where you play as one of several species of dinosaurs. There’s an emphasis on scientific accuracy (so feathers and obscure features, such as the theorized spines of ceratopsians). The site is actually quite slick, but there’s no telling how far along they are with development. Still, worth keeping an eye out for it.

• Sarfrin says:

Now that looks like a survival simulator I’d be interested in playing!

11. Psychomorph says:

All the senseless killing.

12. Havalynii says:

While I’m glad to see that space sims and survival sandboxes have made strong surges, I really just want Western sandboxes, preferably in gorgeous Dunia or Crytek flavors.